Can/Will Ovie pass Gretzky in All Time Goals?

Alexandron

cut.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/news/wayne-gretzky-wowed-by-alex-ovechkin-chasing-his-nhl-goals-record/c-339455504?tid=277548856

Gretzky wowed by Ovechkin chasing his NHL goals record

Says it's 'great for the game' with Capitals forward 88 behind him for mark

Wayne Gretzky talked about Alex Ovechkin breaking his NHL record of 894 goals long before the Washington Capitals left wing believed it was reachable.

So seeing Ovechkin score his 802nd goal to pass Gordie Howe and move into second in NHL history on Dec. 23 didn't change Gretzky's opinion.

Ovechkin hasn't stopped scoring since, increasing his total to 806, 88 behind Gretzky, heading into Washington's first game of 2023, against the Buffalo Sabres at home Tuesday (7 p.m. ET; SNE, SNP, NBCSWA+, MSG-B, ESPN+, SN NOW).

"I think we're past the point of if he's going to do it," Gretzky said before working as an analyst on TNT's telecast of the 2023 Discover Winter Classic at Fenway Park in Boston on Monday. "We said a year ago that it's a matter of when he's going to do it. So, it's great for the game. It's a positive and I think that it couldn't happen to a better person. He's been great for our sport."

Ovechkin scored six goals in the Capitals' final four games of 2022, including his 30th NHL hat trick in a 9-2 victory against the Montreal Canadiens on New Year's Eve. With 26 goals in 39 games, the 37-year-old is on pace to score 54 this season. It would be the 10th time he scored at least 50, breaking the NHL record he shares with Gretzky and Mike Bossy.

Ovechkin scored 50 goals at age 36 last season, becoming the oldest player to reach the milestone.

"A couple guys that I saw in my career, Mike Bossy, Brett Hull, two of the most prolific scorers I ever saw, and one of the things that the three of them have in common is they don't miss a net very often," Gretzky said. "Many times guys have great opportunities and before you know it, the puck is going around the boards and out the other side. But if you watch closely with Alex and Brett and Mike Bossy, they don't miss the net and they knew to find that open area where you're sort of between the defenseman and the forward.

"There's that open a bit of ice that either you have a feel for it or a knack for it or you don't, and Alex definitely has a feel for that."

Ovechkin, who is in his 18th NHL season, has three more seasons left on his contract after this one to catch Gretzky and, potentially, extend the record total beyond 900 goals. When asked how far Ovechkin can push the record, Gretzky replied, "Well, that's up to him how long he plays and hopefully staying injury free."

Gretzky retired following the 1998-99 season, when he was 38, after 20 NHL seasons with the Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues and New York Rangers. He scored his 802nd goal to pass Howe on March 23, 1994, with the Kings against the Vancouver Canucks.

Gretzky appreciated that Howe's sons, former NHL defensemen Mark and Marty Howe, supported Ovechkin during his chase of their father and attended the Capitals' home game against the Detroit Red Wings on Dec. 19. Gordie Howe, who died in 2016 at age 88, similarly supported Gretzky during The Great One's pursuit of the NHL records for points (which Howe held at 1,850 before Gretzky shattered it with 2,857) and goals.

Gretzky would like to do the same for Ovechkin when he gets close to the goals record.

"That's up to the League and to the Washington Capitals and what they want to do, but obviously Gordie was a great inspiration to me, and he was there when I was [breaking his records]," Gretzky said. "And I thought it was really classy of Mark and Marty to be following Alex when he was chasing Gordie. So, yeah, when it comes to the right time, I'm not going to go to every game now till 895, but when he gets close, obviously, I'd love to be there."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Holymakinaw said:

Yeah, Ovie will never pass Gretzky.  And it's only partly because of that post.  :)

Lol. Unless he suddenly has a career ending Injury, he's breaking that record.

He still plays like a young man. He's still scoring 40 goals + a season. This season is only half done and he has 29 goals. Assuming he scores 20 more in the next 40 games, he is 68 goals away from the record. That's 3 seasons of scoring 23 goals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Lol. Unless he suddenly has a career ending Injury, he's breaking that record.

He still plays like a young man. He's still scoring 40 goals + a season. This season is only half done and he has 29 goals. Assuming he scores 20 more in the next 40 games, he is 68 goals away from the record. That's 3 seasons of scoring 23 goals.

I've argued the same point to WoW and it was like talking to a brick wall.  It's like when people were hoping Hank Aaron would not break the Babe's HR record all over. 

• Like 1

Ovechkin reaches 30 goals for 17th time with Capitals

Forward scores against Flyers, ties Gartner for most seasons hitting mark in NHL history

https://www.nhl.com/news/alex-ovechkin-reaches-30-goals-for-17th-time-with-capitals/c-339949056

Alex Ovechkin tied Mike Gartner for the most 30-goal seasons in NHL history with 17 when he scored for the Washington Capitals against the Philadelphia Flyers at Capital One Arena on Saturday.

The 37-year-old left wing scored his 30th goal on a backhand off his own rebound in front to tie it 1-1 at 17:56 of the first period.

Ovechkin has scored at least 30 goals in all but one of his 18 NHL seasons, that coming when he scored 24 goals in 45 games in 2020-21, when the League played a 56-game schedule because of concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic. Gartner, who played his first 10 NHL seasons with the Capitals and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001, scored at least 30 goals in 17 of his 19 seasons before retiring in 1998.

Though Ovechkin (2005-06 to 2019-20) and Gartner (1979-80 to 1993-94) share the NHL record of 15 consecutive 30-goal seasons with Jaromir Jagr (1991-92 to 2006-07), they are the only players to score at least 30 goals in each of their first 15.

Much like with Ovechkin, Gartner's streak ended when he scored 12 goals in 38 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs during the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season. He then scored 35 goals with Toronto in 1995-96, and 32 with the Phoenix Coyotes in 1996-97.

Ovechkin, who has 10 goals in his past 10 games, has scored 30 goals in 45 games this season and is on pace to finish with 54. That would be his most since he scored 56 goals in 2008-09.

If he reaches that mark, Ovechkin would also pass Wayne Gretzky for the most 40-goal seasons in NHL history with 13, and Gretzky and Mike Bossy for the most 50-goal seasons with 10.

Selected by Washington with the No. 1 pick in the 2004 NHL Draft, Ovechkin is second in League history with 810 goals in 1,319 games, trailing only Gretzky (894). Ovechkin previously passed Gordie Howe for second when he scored No. 802 against the Winnipeg Jets on Dec. 23.

FmeVyjjX0AA3mIQ?format=jpg&name=large

FmeWfbTXoAADp1n?format=jpg&name=medium

Ovechkin deserves NHL goal-scoring record with Capitals, Fleury says

Wild goalie has allowed more goals in most games against longtime foe

https://www.nhl.com/news/minnesota-fleury-says-washington-ovechkin-deserves-goal-scoring-record/c-340110514?tid=277548856

WASHINGTON -- Marc-Andre Fleury was in an unfamiliar position sitting on the bench watching someone else try to stop Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals during the Minnesota Wild's 4-2 win at Capital One Arena on Tuesday.

No NHL goalie has played more regular-season games against Ovechkin than Fleury's 44. And no goalie has allowed more goals to Ovechkin, who has scored 25 of his 810 against his longtime foe.

"I don't know if I'm too proud of that," Fleury said, grinning.

It was backup Filip Gustavsson's turn to start Tuesday, though, with Fleury likely to start the Wild's next game at the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday (7 p.m. ET; BSSO, BSN, BSWI, ESPN+, SN NOW). So Fleury rooted Gustavssson on while he made 34 saves, including three on Ovechkin to prevent him from moving closer to Wayne Gretzky's NHL record of 894 goals.

Still, it felt strange for Fleury to be a spectator after so many battles with Ovechkin and the Capitals during his 19 NHL seasons, including the first 13 with the rival Pittsburgh Penguins before stints with the Vegas Golden Knights, Chicago Blackhawks and Wild.

Fleury is 14-8-3 with a 2.86 goals-against average, .905 save percentage and one shutout for Minnesota this season

"I like being here," Fleury said. "The atmosphere is always good, and facing him is, obviously, a big challenge. You want to stop him."

So, it might be surprising to learn that, like his former Penguins teammate and good friend Sidney Crosby, Fleury is rooting for Ovechkin to catch Gretzky and break the goal record. He, obviously, doesn't want it to happen against him.

"I think he deserves it," Fleury said. "He's been doing this for a long time and consistently every season, so hopefully he gets to Gretzky."

Having faced Ovechkin so often, Fleury isn't surprised that he continues to score at an elite level in his 18th NHL season. The 37-year-old left wing became the third player to reach 800 NHL goals with a hat trick against the Chicago Blackhawks on Dec. 13 and passed Gordie Howe (801 goals) for second in NHL history by scoring No. 802 against the Winnipeg Jets on Dec. 23.

With 30 goals in 47 games this season, Ovechkin tied Mike Gartner for the NHL record with his 17th 30-goal season and is on pace to finish with 52. It would be the 10th time Ovechkin scored at least 50 goals to break the NHL record he shares with Gretzky and Mike Bossy. Ovechkin could also pass Gretzky (12) for the most 40-goal seasons in NHL history.

"He's never slowed down," Fleury said. "He doesn't miss games. Every season, he's consistent scoring goals and his shot is still amazing. He can shoot that one-timer so hard."

Although Ovechkin has victimized him on those 25 goals, Fleury has had his share of success against him and the Capitals. Third in NHL history with 534 wins, Fleury is 26-14-2 with a 2.65 GAA, .911 save percentage and four shutouts against Ovechkin and Washington.

Fleury was on the winning side with the Penguins in three Stanley Cup Playoff series against the Capitals in 2009, 2016 (when he was injured) and 2017 and went on to win the Stanley Cup each time. His memorable glove save on Ovechkin's breakaway chance in the first period of Game 7 of the 2009 Eastern Conference Semifinals sparked Pittsburgh to a 6-2 victory in the deciding game of that best-of-7 series in Washington.

Fleury also made a save with the shaft of his stick on Ovechkin's one-timer from the slot in the second period of a 2-0 victory in Game 7 of the 2017 Eastern Conference Second Round. 

Ovechkin has had his moments against Fleury as well, including scoring a goal for his 1,000th NHL point in a 5-2 win against Pittsburgh on Jan. 11, 2017. Ovechkin and the Capitals also defeated Fleury and the Golden Knights in five games in the 2018 Stanley Cup Final to win their first championship. He had five points (three goals, two assists).

"It's still good memories walking in the building, skating out," Fleury said. "I've had some good battles with them, some fun battles. It was fun the rivalry with Pittsburgh, with obviously Sid and Ovi, but it was high-scoring, always fun, good battles. Every night, you were in for a good game."

In addition to the competition, Fleury enjoys interacting with Ovechkin during games. It's mostly friendly, but with a little trash talk going both ways.

"Sometimes he'll come and say 'Hi,'" said Fleury, who won the 2021 Vezina Trophy voted as the top goalie in the NHL. "He'll say 'Hi' or 'Oh, I almost got you. I'm going to get you on the next one.' And I'm like, 'No way. You're not getting [anything].' It's funny, though. I like how he does it."

Yet, Fleury passed on a chance to become teammates with Ovechkin last season when the Blackhawks were looking to move him before the NHL Trade Deadline because he was a potential unrestricted free agent, and the Capitals were exploring acquiring a veteran goalie. The Blackhawks promised not to trade Fleury without his approval and the 38-year-old preferred not to join the Capitals, eventually accepting a deal to the Wild instead.

"I wouldn't say I wasn't interested," Fleury said. "From what I've heard, they have a great organization. They have a lot of good players, a lot of talent, a good city and all that. But, I don't know. To me, it was just weird because, I don't know, they were like the enemy for so long."

Fleury signed a two-year, $7 million contract to remain with Minnesota on July 7 and Washington signed Darcy Kuemper to a five-year, $26.25 million contract to be its No. 1 goalie July 13. So it appears the door for Fleury and Ovechkin to play on the same team is closed.

But Fleury looks forward to his next opportunity to face Ovechkin, which could come when the Capitals visit the Wild on March 19.

"I like to play against him," he said. "I think he brings the best out of you."

Edited by NHL HHOF

NHL Buzz: Ovechkin day to day with lower-body injury for Capitals

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-buzz-january-21-alex-ovechkin-day-to-day-with-injury/c-340240084

Washington Capitals

Alex Ovechkin is day to day for the Capitals with a lower-body injury.

Ovechkin had two shots in 17:54 of ice time in the Capitals' 4-0 win at the Arizona Coyotes on Thursday but did not play in a 6-2 loss at the Vegas Golden Knights on Saturday.

"There's always things that are going on with players," coach Peter Laviolette said. "Alex is usually really durable, but this is something that he wasn't able to skate this morning and it took him out of the lineup tonight."

Ovechkin, who had played in all 48 games this season, has 52 points and is tied for sixth in the NHL with 30 goals. -- Harvey Valentine

• 4 weeks later...

Ovechkin to miss 4th game, Capitals hope he can return this week

Captain has been in Russia since death of father on Feb. 15

https://www.nhl.com/news/washington-capitals-alex-ovechkin-playing-status/c-341300182

Ovechkin returns from Russia, joins Capitals for practice

Forward was away from team because of death of father

https://www.nhl.com/news/alex-ovechkin-returns-to-washington-from-russia/c-341376024

• 2 weeks later...

Ovechkin reaches 40 goals for NHL-record 13th season

Capitals forward scores against Blue Jackets to break tie with Gretzky

https://www.nhl.com/news/alex-ovechkin-passes-wayne-gretzky-for-most-40-goal-seasons/c-342529574

WASHINGTON -- Alex Ovechkin passed Wayne Gretzky for the most 40-goal seasons in NHL history with 13 when he scored for the Washington Capitals against the Columbus Blue Jackets at Capital One Arena on Tuesday.

"Yeah, it's a pretty cool moment," Ovechkin said. "It doesn't matter what kind of record it is. It's a record, you know?

"I'm just trying to enjoy my time, trying to do my best."

The 37-year-old left wing scored his 40th goal when his backdoor pass for Dylan Strome deflected in off the stick of Blue Jackets defenseman Nick Blankenburg at 5:12 of the first period.

"[Strome] told me right away he didn't think he touched it, so I said, 'Well, we'll see what happens," Ovechkin said.

Ovechkin has scored at least 40 goals in all but three of his 16 full NHL seasons. He scored 32 goals in 48 games in 2012-13, when the season was shortened because of a lockout, and 24 goals in 45 games in 2020-21, when the season was paused due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus. 

This is Ovechkin's sixth 40-goal season since he turned 30 years old, passing Phil Esposito for the most in NHL history. 

Gretzky scored at least 40 goals in the first 12 of his 20 NHL seasons before retiring in 1999. He is the NHL's all-time leader in goals with 894. Ovechkin is second with 820.

"He's been doing it every year consistently since he came into the League, and [there] doesn't seem to be any slow down in him," Capitals coach Peter Laviolette said. "He plays fast, he plays hard. … Realizing that there's a chance to make a difference in the game, that's what he's really good at it. But for me, the consistency part of it is to be able to do that year in and year out."

Ovechkin, who has four goals in his past four games, was playing in his 66th game this season, putting him on pace to finish with 46 goals. He missed four games from Feb. 14-21 to return home to Russia following the death of his father, Mikhail, who died at 71. He also missed games on Jan. 21 and March 14 because of a lower-body injury.

If Ovechkin is able to score 10 more goals in Washington's final 10 games, he will pass Gretzky and Mike Bossy for the most 50-goal seasons with 10.

Earlier this season, Ovechkin tied Mike Gartner for the most 30-goal seasons in NHL history with 17 when he scored in a 3-1 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Jan. 14. He also passed Gordie Howe for second in NHL history when he scored his 802nd goal in a 4-1 win against the Winnipeg Jets on Dec. 23.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 12:49 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

He's not going to be chasing any of Gretzky's records, but he will finish 2nd.  It's going to take him the bulk of this final contract to pass Gordie but he'll probably get there. 

On 8/3/2021 at 9:54 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's more realistic that we assume the NHL won't play a full 82 game season, and injuries are going to start affecting Ovie. Most likely, Ovie plays about 50-60 games/yr for the next five years. So realistically, he's got about 300 games to work with. 

Over the next five years, his GPG will drop rapidly. I think he's going to plummet into the 25-goal range (if he were playing a full 82-game season, but he won't be). Therefore, it's much more realistic to assume that Ovie gets ~20 goals per season (on average) the rest of the way in. 

Thus, 5 x 20 = 100 goals. 

730 + 100 = 830 goals.

His trajectory is such that he'll squeeze past Gordie for 2nd but fall into the abyss between Gordie and Wayne.  :) 

On 8/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

My REPUTATION is the only thing that affects my predictions.  My "narrative" (if I had one) would be to be RIGHT.  Making BAD predictions makes ME look bad. I'm motivated to look good, therefore I make accurate predictions. 

Boy these posts have not aged well ... LOL  

Ovie now sits at 822 only 72 goals away from Gretzky with ...get this ... 3 more years on his current contract.  (He passed Howe fairly easy this year) 2 more 40 goal seasons and he passes Gretzky.  At worst he only has to average 25 goals over next 3 years to pass him.  

image.png.dd1de95ea5587dde802a22928e8ee5cf.png

Except for the Covid year Ovie has had over 40+ goals 5 out of the last 6 years ....

At the current pace I would expect Ovie to pass Gretzky either at the tail end of the 24-25 season or potentially early on the 25-26 season.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...