Darnell Nurse signed for 8 years at $9.25m per year

Puck_Pun

I spent 20 years watching the Oilers draft and develop players before seeing them leave in their prime because they couldn't afford to pay them the going rate. I spent those years watching them sometimes have a farm team and sometime not have one, loaning players to teams that would take them on as a favour, all because they couldn't afford to have a farm system.

Darnell Nurse is coming off of two bridge deals where the team told him to show them that he's worth a lot of money. He went and did that and, for sure, the contract isn't team friendly, but he's a core player on the team locked up long term, and I'm not getting how that's a problem.

As @pilldoc said: goaltending is a much bigger issue.

• Like 2

Looking at Edmonton's long term deals:

McDavid - every team in the NHL wishes they had this problem. He's the highest-paid player in the NHL, and he's not being paid close to what he's worth.

Draisaitl - a risk the day that Chiarelli signed it, but $8.5M for him is a steal.

Nurse - I described his situation above, but again: not a bargain, but they clearly see him as a core player, and I think every team in the NHL would share that opinion.

Nugent-Hopkins - provides two-way play and value for the AAV of only $5.1M, and his style of play should up well as he ages.

Hyman - the contract which is an issue. He was a UFA without a previous relationship with the team or city, so it doesn't come at a bargain. I think it's much more likely than not that he follows the Wayne Simmonds mold of aging, making years 5 thru 7 riskier. Those seasons, his pay is mostly in the form of signing bonus, so it makes dealing him a touch easier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Darnell Nurse is coming off of two bridge deals where the team told him to show them that he's worth a lot of money. He went and did that and, for sure, the contract isn't team friendly, but he's a core player on the team locked up long term, and I'm not getting how that's a problem.

Not saying Nurse doesn't deserve a raise.  Just that cap space is getting smaller with his $9 million contract kicking next year.  Turris and Archibald are UFA next year along with Russell / Stalock and Koskinen.  Puljujarvi is a RFA.  I figure they want to resign Puljujarvi.  As of now they would have a cap space of roughly ~ $7 million dollars.

Goalie Free Agents for next year:

image.png.dfef80d827f2740125913215215df923.png

8 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Not saying Nurse doesn't deserve a raise.  Just that cap space is getting smaller with his $9 million contract kicking next year.  Turris and Archibald are UFA next year along with Russell / Stalock and Koskinen.  Puljujarvi is a RFA.  I figure they want to resign Puljujarvi.  As of now they would have a cap space of roughly ~ $7 million dollars.

Goalie Free Agents for next year:

image.png.dfef80d827f2740125913215215df923.png

Part of the reason the Oilers find themselves in this pickle is because Peter Chiarelli decided it was much more important to sign Mikko Koskinen and Zack Kassian to long-term deals adding up to almost $8M in salary, when he could have done so with Nurse for less money. It's just extra salt in the wounds when we see that it's going towards a 4th line winger and a goalie who gives the team quality starts less than half the time. Finding takers for these contracts is critical.

There is also about $4.5M in relief coming, as Oscar Klefbom will be placed on LTIR. Unless a miracle occurs, his arthritis problems have ended his career.

• Like 1