Who is the worst team in Hockey right now? (poll)

yave1964

LEAGUES WORST TEAM   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the worst tam in the NHL right now?

• Arizona
    • Buffalo
    • Detroit
    • Columbus
    • Anaheim

coming out of the draft and the frenzy, my question is who is the worst team in the NHL right now? Teams like the Devils and the Senators who have been bottom feeders have improved either through free agency or the draft, IMHO these are the five top candidates

ARIZONA COYOTES They essentially blew ip up and loaded up on draft picks in exchange for bad contracts and used one of their better players in Garland to get rid of the OEL contract. Scorched earth in the desert. They did load up on picks and have a few other solid trade pieces such as Kessel and Dvorak, in next years draft they will likely have a crazy nine or ten picks in the first two rounds which is insane but fans, hold on, it looks like another rebuild is in store. Digging out from the Chayka fiasco.

COLUMBUS BLUEJACKETS Torts has a shelf life and honestly he pushed this team to new heights but it all fell apart last year. This offseason they traded their best player in Jones and arguably their best forward in Atkinson, and at the same time still have headcases in domi and Laine.  Yes they had three first round picks this year but many if not most argue that all were reaches where they were taken. In the leagues toughest division they are the weak link.

DETROIT RED WINGS Okay, I love Yzerman, I would wash his car or do his laundry or whatever chores needed done, the guy is awesome but patience only goes so far.  Again he passed over big name free agents chosing instead to add pieces that can be moved at the deadline for futures signifying again that the rebuild is moving glacially slow. Many argue that he took the wrong goalie at 15 in Cossa when he traded up, Oh and for some damn reason Jeff Blashill is still the coach.

BUFFALO SABRES Oh my God what a mess. They finally moved on from Risto, traded Reinhart for a first and a goalie who they love who went 212th in last years draft who they are gushing about for some damn reason. Their goaltending tandem going into this season is Aaron Dell and Craig Anderson. Realy. And Jack eichel is still a Sabre in what is the messiest divorce since Charles and Diana. Just dreadful.

ANAHEIM DUCKS They do have some decently talented forwards hitting the club, nothing spectacular but some guys who are capable. They do have Drysdale coming on defense who is supposed to be a player. The reason that I list them here is it appears they seem content to finish last in their division this year with no apparent plan in place, while teams like the Kings seem ready to move up, while the Sharks hope a better goalie combo will return them to contention the Ducks have made zero  moves of any consequences. Their two biggest adds are Buddy Robinson and Greg Patryn who anyone outside of their family has never heard of. Their biggest loss is Ryan Miller who anyone outside a Buffalo Applebees thought retired years ago. It is in my opinion one of the worst scenarios for an organization, organizational apathy. They arent terrible but arent good either and seem to have no plan in place to fix it.

SO their ya go, my five worst organizations, it pains me to list the Wings and Jackets on the list but IMHO they deserve to be in consideration.  Any thoughts?

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1

My vote for what it is worth is Buffalo, their goalie of the future Luukonen is probably a year or two away but they will probably rush him and ruin him. Ullmark who is a good solid goalie home grown was allowed to walk to Boston for nothing. The Eichel thing irks me, the longer it goes the less they will get. It is not like when Sakic refused to trade Duchene until he was able to get what he wanted, it is a mess where every day his value is plummeting. This is a rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild, it is like a car wreck that you cannot help but slow down and look over at and shudder when you pass.

• Like 2

• yave1964 changed the title to Who is the worst team in Hockey right now? (poll)

For me, it was a close call between Arizona and Buffalo, but ultimately I went with the Yotes.

Both teams have had or STILL have talented players, both up n comers through the draft and vets still with tread on their tires, yet for some reason, just cannot get things together to move forward.

Which means ownership and/or management of both of those franchises is just putrid.
But even saying that, in watching Sabres games, I at least see some fire from the players on the ice. They may not be very good as a unit, but it is apparent, at least, many of them care.

Watching Yotes games, I see way too many players "going through the motions", and worse yet, especially for the veteran players, it seems they view playing for Arizona as a sort of semi-retirement job..... a condition I know all too well because it was prevalent in Tampa Bay years ago when the Lightning were the destination for aging vets to collect a paycheck in a warm state with plenty of golfing!

Teams like the Jackets, Wings, and Ducks simply suffer from talent that is not yet matured...and I don't think it will be very long before Anaheim and Detroit especially will be on the upswing once again.

Columbus may be a different story as they now have to search for a new identity now that they no longer have Tortorella and his "defense first, smother second, create offense third" style is out.
Jackets are at a cross roads.

They could end up like the Sabres or Coyotes (minus the warm weather) if they aren't careful, or, they could be like the Ducks and Wings and just have to tough out a few bad seasons before moving upwards again.
Squarely in the center of "how bad are we?"
What they do over the next season or two could determine their status as worst team in the league or not.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

My vote for what it is worth is Buffalo, their goalie of the future Luukonen is probably a year or two away but they will probably rush him and ruin him. Ullmark who is a good solid goalie home grown was allowed to walk to Boston for nothing. The Eichel thing irks me, the longer it goes the less they will get. It is not like when Sakic refused to trade Duchene until he was able to get what he wanted, it is a mess where every day his value is plummeting. This is a rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild, it is like a car wreck that you cannot help but slow down and look over at and shudder when you pass.

Yes, but a car wreck that is on loop, where the cars back up and ram each other again, each time with different body parts flying off and/or being shredded. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

The only thing Buffalo has going for it is their fan base and a city that wants them there.

That's about it.

Arizona doesn't even have that.    But at least Arizona's team occasionally has a pulse.   Despite equally-inept ownership and management, Arizona manages to usually have decent coaching and competent if not stellar goaltending.    Buffalo doesn't even have that.

I'm going with Buffalo because Arizona is the the hockey version of "if a tree falls in a forest...."   If a hockey team sucks and no one cares, does it matter?  Whereas Buffalo is doing this to lifelong fans that have stuck with them and really do deserve better.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes, but a car wreck that is on loop, where the cars back up and ram each other again, each time with different body parts flying off and/or being shredded. 

This annual event is known in Western New York as the Lumina Showers. It's traditional for fans attending to chow down on a hearty halibut stew. Local lore has it that the secret ingredient giving the stew its iconic taste is a capful of transmission fluid.   

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

The Flyers.

Crossed my mind as well, but no.   We can't even win that!

I'm not trying to troll:  how are you feeling about the Canes offseason.  Disjointed at best from this vantage. What do you think?

52 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Crossed my mind as well, but no.   We can't even win that!

I'm not trying to troll:  how are you feeling about the Canes offseason.  Disjointed at best from this vantage. What do you think?

Canes had an awful offseason giving up big ned, losing Mrazek/Reimer replacing them with Andersen, losing Dougie Hamilton and replacing him with five Brendan Smiths. Donating Foegele to the Oilers for the overrated Ethan Bear.  I have loved watching Cane hockey for several years becasue the Wings are borderline unwathcable but the Canes have probably peaked and will probably take a step or two back. Even with that they are ten times better than the teams on the list just not as good as the past few seasons.

41 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Canes had an awful offseason giving up big ned, losing Mrazek/Reimer replacing them with Andersen, losing Dougie Hamilton and replacing him with five Brendan Smiths. Donating Foegele to the Oilers for the overrated Ethan Bear.  I have loved watching Cane hockey for several years becasue the Wings are borderline unwathcable but the Canes have probably peaked and will probably take a step or two back. Even with that they are ten times better than the teams on the list just not as good as the past few seasons.

Oh  I would never include them in any conversation regarding "worst."  Far from it.  But yeah, from here this offseason is mindbedoggling and I think they've hurt themselves. Almost like "we're not going to beat Tampa, so why try?"  They're still likely a playoff team, but I'm not sure they're better than 4th.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Oh  I would never include them in any conversation regarding "worst."  Far from it.  But yeah, from here this offseason is mindbedoggling and I think they've hurt themselves. Almost like "we're not going to beat Tampa, so why try?"  They're still likely a playoff team, but I'm not sure they're better than 4th.  

LIKELY a playoff team but man is that a tough division

Islanders- under Trotz back to back conference finals

Flyers much improved

Penguins Still the Pens

Capitals Still the Caps

Canes

Devils much improved

Rangers a team on the rise

Only four of these seven get in (Columbus hopelessly out of the conversation. Three damn good teams will be home in April 

30 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

LIKELY a playoff team but man is that a tough division

Islanders- under Trotz back to back conference finals

Flyers much improved

Penguins Still the Pens

Capitals Still the Caps

Canes

Devils much improved

Rangers a team on the rise

Only four of these seven get in (Columbus hopelessly out of the conversation. Three damn good teams will be home in April 

That about sums it up.

But who is your fourth team in the Atlantic, and do they get in?

I have Tampa, Florida, Toronto, and Boston.  Not necessarily in that order.   I don't think a fifth Metropolitan team is good enough to finish ahead of any of them, so I agree Metro only gets 4.

(Most of that was writing while thinking, so enjoy the stream of consciousness)

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That about sums it up.

But who is your fourth team in the Atlantic, and do they get in?

I have Tampa, Florida, Toronto, and Boston.  Not necessarily in that order.   I don't think a fifth Metropolitan team is good enough to finish ahead of any of them, so I agree Metro only gets 4.

(Most of that was writing while thinking, so enjoy the stream of consciousness)

Right now.....

Islanders close to a lock

Flyers up year down year as usual make the playoffs

Penguins one last run

Rangers team to watch

IMHO that leaves the fading Caps and the Canes on the outside