Calgary Flames season 21/22

Brewin Flames

Game # 27

Flames 1 Canes 2 OT

Aho's 2nd of game lifts Hurricanes over Flames 2-1 in OT

ss_20211209_234922276_18340384_default.j

In the final minute of overtime, Sebastian Aho takes off on the break untouched and scores the winning goal for the Hurricanes vs. the Flames.

ByAP
Updated: 3 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Sebastian Aho scored his second goal of the game 4:07 into overtime to give the Carolina Hurricanes a 2-1 victory over the Calgary Flames on Thursday night.

Aho sped into the Calgary zone while being pressured by former teammate Elias Lindholm. Aho lost control of the puck, but it still had enough momentum to slide past goalie Jacob Markstrom.

“I had some space and time to build up my speed and I decided early on to take that guy 1-on-1. But they made a nice switch there, little bit of side pressure,” Aho said. “(He) kind of caught me already but I got a break there, so it felt good.”

Markstrom said he thought Aho was going to cut across to the middle of the ice, so he attempted to poke-check the puck off his stick.

“I came really fast and I wanted to have my momentum with me if he was going to drag it across to the other side,” said Markstrom, who made 24 saves. “I felt like he wanted to do that and then Lindy caught him a little bit and he kind of lost the puck.

I tried to poke it in the corner and my momentum was going the other way and it hit his skate or stick or whatever and went over my pad and in the net.”

Aho also scored in the first period for the Hurricanes (18-6-1) to extend his point streak to four games. Frederik Andersen stopped 26 shots in the win.

“I think guys played awesome today,” Andersen said. “We weren’t giving up a lot. We stuck with it all game and eventually got the break. Our patience was really good this evening.”

Playing against his former team, defenseman Noah Hanifin scored for the Flames (15-6-6) but was unable to convert on an early penalty shot.

“Usually guys have that little extra bump in their game,” Calgary coach Darryl Sutter said about Hanifin facing his old club. “I thought he skated really well and did what he could.”

Calgary has dropped three in a row.

The Hurricanes have allowed the fewest goals (55) in the NHL, while the Flames are second (57).

“I think both teams play pretty responsibly and have a lot of structure when they’re playing the right way,” Hanifin said. “We’re a team that expects to win. We believe in our group. We go into games, we’re believing we’re going to win the hockey game, so it’s frustrating.”

Aho opened the scoring when he redirected a pass from Jaccob Slavin past Markstrom at 4:14 of the first period.

The Flames had a great chance to tie it at 5:33 when Hanifin was awarded a penalty shot after being hooked from behind by Ian Cole on a partial breakaway. Andersen got his stick on the puck and it trickled wide.

Calgary had a couple more good chances late in the opening period on the power play, but Matthew Tkachuk chipped the puck just wide before crashing into the net and Andersen stood his ground to stop a shot from the slot by Andrew Mangiapane.

The Flames tied it on Hanifin’s second goal of the season when his shot from the point glanced off the stick of Carolina forward Jesper Fast and beat a stunned Andersen over his left shoulder.

Early in the third, Calgary forward Dillon Dube’s shot from the slot glanced off the post behind Andersen and was trickling across the goal line when Carolina forward Teuvo Teravainen reached back to pull it out before clearing it out of harm’s way.

“The guys made some great plays on those going through or behind me,” Andersen said. “That’s awesome. I’ll take the help, sometimes. Just great plays.”

Slavin also made a terrific play late in the game to prevent a goal.

Calgary defenseman Rasmus Andersson tried to center the puck from behind the net, but it hit Slavin in the leg and was heading into the net before the Carolina defenseman reached back to swat it away with his stick.

Slavin logged a game-high 32:28 of ice time.

“I can’t be more impressed about an individual,” Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour said. “This is just kind of icing on the cake that he can do this. It’s obviously not something we want to do, but we’re missing some great players here.”

• Good Post 1

12 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Game # 27

Flames 1 Canes 2 OT

Aho's 2nd of game lifts Hurricanes over Flames 2-1 in OT

ss_20211209_234922276_18340384_default.j

In the final minute of overtime, Sebastian Aho takes off on the break untouched and scores the winning goal for the Hurricanes vs. the Flames.

ByAP
Updated: 3 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Sebastian Aho scored his second goal of the game 4:07 into overtime to give the Carolina Hurricanes a 2-1 victory over the Calgary Flames on Thursday night.

Aho sped into the Calgary zone while being pressured by former teammate Elias Lindholm. Aho lost control of the puck, but it still had enough momentum to slide past goalie Jacob Markstrom.

“I had some space and time to build up my speed and I decided early on to take that guy 1-on-1. But they made a nice switch there, little bit of side pressure,” Aho said. “(He) kind of caught me already but I got a break there, so it felt good.”

Markstrom said he thought Aho was going to cut across to the middle of the ice, so he attempted to poke-check the puck off his stick.

“I came really fast and I wanted to have my momentum with me if he was going to drag it across to the other side,” said Markstrom, who made 24 saves. “I felt like he wanted to do that and then Lindy caught him a little bit and he kind of lost the puck.

I tried to poke it in the corner and my momentum was going the other way and it hit his skate or stick or whatever and went over my pad and in the net.”

Aho also scored in the first period for the Hurricanes (18-6-1) to extend his point streak to four games. Frederik Andersen stopped 26 shots in the win.

“I think guys played awesome today,” Andersen said. “We weren’t giving up a lot. We stuck with it all game and eventually got the break. Our patience was really good this evening.”

Playing against his former team, defenseman Noah Hanifin scored for the Flames (15-6-6) but was unable to convert on an early penalty shot.

“Usually guys have that little extra bump in their game,” Calgary coach Darryl Sutter said about Hanifin facing his old club. “I thought he skated really well and did what he could.”

Calgary has dropped three in a row.

The Hurricanes have allowed the fewest goals (55) in the NHL, while the Flames are second (57).

“I think both teams play pretty responsibly and have a lot of structure when they’re playing the right way,” Hanifin said. “We’re a team that expects to win. We believe in our group. We go into games, we’re believing we’re going to win the hockey game, so it’s frustrating.”

Aho opened the scoring when he redirected a pass from Jaccob Slavin past Markstrom at 4:14 of the first period.

The Flames had a great chance to tie it at 5:33 when Hanifin was awarded a penalty shot after being hooked from behind by Ian Cole on a partial breakaway. Andersen got his stick on the puck and it trickled wide.

Calgary had a couple more good chances late in the opening period on the power play, but Matthew Tkachuk chipped the puck just wide before crashing into the net and Andersen stood his ground to stop a shot from the slot by Andrew Mangiapane.

The Flames tied it on Hanifin’s second goal of the season when his shot from the point glanced off the stick of Carolina forward Jesper Fast and beat a stunned Andersen over his left shoulder.

Early in the third, Calgary forward Dillon Dube’s shot from the slot glanced off the post behind Andersen and was trickling across the goal line when Carolina forward Teuvo Teravainen reached back to pull it out before clearing it out of harm’s way.

“The guys made some great plays on those going through or behind me,” Andersen said. “That’s awesome. I’ll take the help, sometimes. Just great plays.”

Slavin also made a terrific play late in the game to prevent a goal.

Calgary defenseman Rasmus Andersson tried to center the puck from behind the net, but it hit Slavin in the leg and was heading into the net before the Carolina defenseman reached back to swat it away with his stick.

Slavin logged a game-high 32:28 of ice time.

“I can’t be more impressed about an individual,” Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour said. “This is just kind of icing on the cake that he can do this. It’s obviously not something we want to do, but we’re missing some great players here.”

Truly sucks.  I hate the Canes.  Had Flames on a parlay.  I really like the Flames and I wish your 2nd team luck.  I do not know why they are not your first team.  They have a much better shot than Boston this year.  The Flames are better than Boston right now  And its not close. My two teams are the Sabres and Blues.  So how to I interject those two logo's together as cleverly as you did?  Maybe a Buffalo blowing a musical note?  I am not very artistic.  i play the guitar and that is the end of my art.  Cant draw period.   Do yourself a favor and concentrate on the Flames.  They have a shot in the West.  And if my Blues flounder, I wish the Flames the best.  I remember that Cup team.  I had this black friend at work who is now in the next life, he used to call them the red army.  Fleury, man was he something and Al McGuiness.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Truly sucks.  I hate the Canes.  Had Flames on a parlay.  I really like the Flames and I wish your 2nd team luck.  I do not know why they are not your first team.  They have a much better shot than Boston this year.  The Flames are better than Boston right now  And its not close. My two teams are the Sabres and Blues.  So how to I interject those two logo's together as cleverly as you did?  Maybe a Buffalo blowing a musical note?  I am not very artistic.  i play the guitar and that is the end of my art.  Cant draw period.   Do yourself a favor and concentrate on the Flames.  They have a shot in the West.  And if my Blues flounder, I wish the Flames the best.  I remember that Cup team.  I had this black friend at work who is now in the next life, he used to call them the red army.  Fleury, man was he something and Al McGuiness.

I wish i could take credit for the logo design, but i can't some random guy i met on the net about 20 years ago created it for me.

Been a bruins fan by birth but saw the flames logo and just decided i liked them too, so i;ve been a follower for a long time.

• Like 1

Watching Calgary each game they really can play with every team they've faced so far, Vegas was their toughest challenge so far - but Calgary was able to pay up to their speed, when Eichel is healthy Vegas is definitely the top team to beat overall.

Even this loss against Carolina wasn't bad despite all the chances Calgary had, it had the feel of a playoff game, as do all the games Calgary had played so far - can truly feel the effort each game that Calgary is really improving into a playoff team - if Calgary can keep up this steady improvement with each game, they will definitely get through a few playoff rounds at least.

Game # 28

Flames 2 Bruins 4

Ullmark makes 40 saves, leads Bruins past Flames 4-2

ss_20211212_002023517_1836196_default.jp

Curtis Lazar lights the lamp vs. Flames

ByAP
Updated: 2 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Linus Ullmark is on a roll, and so are the Boston Bruins.

Ullmark made 40 saves and Brad Marchand had a goal and an assist as the Bruins beat the Calgary Flames 4-2 Saturday night.

Ullmark has given up two or fewer goals in each of his last five starts, winning four of those games. He improved to 7-5-0.

“You have to be able to rely on your goalie to come up big if you want to be a good team,” said Marchand. “He’s got to be able to keep you in it when the other team’s putting a lot of pressure on and make the big saves on the kill like he did tonight.”

“He came up big, especially in the first two periods again where we were at times hemmed in our end zone a little bit too much,” Bruins assistant coach Joe Sacco said of Ullmark. “He made the quality saves when we needed it.”

Charlie McAvoy, Curtis Lazar, and Connor Clifton, with his first of the season, also scored for Boston. The Bruins have points in five straight games (3-0-2) and have gone seven consecutive games on the road (6-0-1) without a regulation loss.

Boston took five of six points on its western Canada trip.

“A lot of heart,” said Ullmark, who as a free agent last summer signed a four-year, $20-million deal with the Bruins. “We grinded it out and whenever we had the opportunity to put one in, we did it.”

Matthew Tkachuk and Sean Monahan scored for Calgary, which is winless in four games. Rasmus Andersson had two assists. Jacob Markstrom had 23 saves in the loss. He dropped to 10-6-5.

“(Ullmark) made some some big saves but at the end of the day, it’s on us as a team to get to the dirty areas and go to the net and get those dirty goals,” Monahan said.

Ullmark was the story for Boston — from the opening puck drop.

After stopping all 15 shots he faced in the first period as the Bruins took the lead, he had to made five saves — including dangerous chances from in close by Andrew Mangiapane and Milan Lucic — on an early second-period Flames power play that kept it 1-0.

The Bruins took control shortly after, surging in front 3-0 on goals 56 seconds apart from Marchand and McAvoy.

At 5:52, David Pastrnak gained the Flames zone, hung onto the puck as he curled back to get some separation from Andersson before getting a shot away that Marchand deftly struck out of the air and over Markstrom’s glove.

McAvoy made it 3-0 when he slid in from the point undetected and used Flames defenseman Nikita Zadorov as a screen to pick the top corner.

The Flames cut the deficit to two at 12:19 of the second on the power play. Tkachuk got the puck at the top of the crease after Andersson’s point shot didn’t get through and flipped it into the net for his 12th goal.

Tkachuk’s goal snapped an 0-for-15 drought on the man-advantage.

Boston restored its two-goal cushion three minutes into the third when Markstrom couldn’t control the rebound from Trent Frederic’s original shot and seconds later, Lazar knocked the puck in for his second of the season.

Lazar was back in the line-up after being a healthy scratch last game.

It remained 4-1 until Monahan scored with 1:36 left in the third.

Calgary outshot Boston 15-7 in the first period, but against the flow of play, the Bruins got the only goal off an innocent-looking rush with just over two minutes remaining.

After jumping into the attack and getting the puck as he skated down the side, Clifton sent a rising wrist shot from a sharp angle that eluded the glove of Markstrom.

“We believe in ourselves. We believe in the group,” Tkachuk said when asked about the mood of the team. “Stay positive, get back to having fun, and having fun winning and enjoying the grind of winning games.”

• Good Post 1

• 3 weeks later...

Game # 29

Flames 6 Seattle 4

Tkachuk, Gaudreau lead Flames to 6-4 win over Kraken

•  

SEATTLE (AP) Matthew Tkachuk scored the go-ahead goal with 2:26 left and had two assists as the Calgary Flames beat the Seattle Kraken 6-4 on Thursday night in their first game in nearly three weeks.

Johnny Gaudreau added two goals and assisted on the game-winner to give the Flames their first victory since Dec. 3. Milan Lucic, Andrew Mangiapane and Noah Hanifin also scored for Calgary, which handed Seattle its fourth straight loss and second in two nights.

"Even with everything going on, there's no reason why we couldn't come in here and beat a team that played last night," Tkachuk said.

It was the Flames' first game since Dec. 11 due to a COVID-19 outbreak. Twenty members of the team and coach Darryl Sutter were among 33 Calgary personnel who tested positive for the coronavirus during the club's 19 days off.

The rust showed, as Sutter noted: "I'm not making an excuse here, but if you had 19 days off you wouldn't be very good out there."

The Flames were a little chippy, with play stopping several times to break up scrums, and weren't as tight on defense as goaltender Jacob Markstrom might have hoped as the teams combined for four goals in the final four minutes.

"I think that we thought it would be a lot better, but we found a way to win," Tkachuk said. "And that was the most important thing, getting back in the win column here. It was ugly, especially late - that's not the type of team we are, giving up four - but we found a way. I guess that's all that matters now."

Former Flames captain Mark Giordano had a goal and two assists in his first game against his old team, and Calle Jarnkrok added a goal and two assists for the Kraken. Yanni Gourde and Jared McCann also scored for Seattle, which got two assists from Colin Blackwell.

Giordano walked away disappointed after the Kraken lost for the seventh time in eight games.

"At the end of the day, you can't keep looking at silver linings," the captain said. "It's 32 or 31 games into the season. Up to a certain point we're doing the right things. We have to find ways to win games. I don't think anyone's overwhelmed us in this league. We have to turn it the other way where we're finding ways to win games instead of being on the other end of it."

Giordano opened the scoring at 5:48 with a slap shot from the high slot off a pass from Blackwell after Jarnkrok chased down the puck behind the net. The Kraken captain, selected in the expansion draft this summer, played 15 years for the Flames, serving as captain since 2013.

The Flames answered four minutes later when Nikita Zadorov drew Kraken goaltender Chris Driedger out of the net with a fake, then passed to Gaudreau in the right faceoff circle for a one-timer to tie it at 1.

Giordano stuck it to his old team again nine seconds into the second period when he gathered in the opening faceoff, skated deep into Calgary's end and found McCann in the slot. McCann misfired, but Jarnkrok put the rebound past Jacob Markstrom for a 2-1 lead.

Gaudreau tied it at 2 with his 12th goal of the season, a power-play rocket that beat Driedger glove side, bounced off the right post, then ricocheted off the left and into the net.

Gourde chased Blackwell's pass to the crease and pushed it past Markstrom to tie it at 3 with 4:39 gone in the third.

Mangiapane and McCann exchanged goals late in the period before Tkachuk's game-winner at 17:34. Hanifin, who also had an assist, added an empty-netter.

MORE ON GIO

Giordano became the 36th expansion player to score in his first game against his former team. He played 949 games for the Flames, second-most in team history.

His former teammates gave him begrudging love for the performance.

"Honestly, you know, he's a great captain, loved playing with him here," Gaudreau said. "I was happy for him, but at the end of the day it's another game and he's on another team."

• Good Post 1

Game # 30

Flames 5 Hawks 1

Tkachuk scores in 3rd straight game, Flames top Hawks 5-1

7 hours ago

CHICAGO -- — Johnny Gaudreau had a goal and two assists, Matthew Tkachuk scored for a third straight game and the Calgary Flames beat the Chicago Blackhawks 5-1 on Sunday night.

Elias Lindholm and Trevor Lewis also scored for Calgary, Oliver Kylington added a long empty-netter and Jacob Markstrom blocked 30 shots in the Flames' second straight win.

Calgary is coming off a COVID-19 outbreak that shut the team down from Dec. 11 until Dec. 30, when they topped the Kraken in Seattle.

The Flames have roared back with 11 goals in two games, while allowing five, and their top line of Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm has led the way. Gaudreau has been as slick as ever with three goals and three assists in the two wins.

“He keeps building his game and seems to have fun out there,” Lindholm said. “Usually when we play with him, you just try to find an open space and he'll find you.”

The Flames took charge in the second period, outshooting Chicago 26-9 in the frame to tie a franchise record for shots in a period.

“It was a fun period to be part of,” Lindholm said. “We want to see more of that. It was a really good period from our side.”

Coach Darryl Sutter was happy with getting a complete effort from his club after a sluggish start.

“We're trying to get everyone back up to speed and it's not easy,” Sutter said. “Everyone has reacted differently to the virus and you have to manage you're way through it and play smart.”

Alex DeBrincat scored his team-leading 18th goal, but Chicago dropped its fourth straight.

Arvid Soderblom made his first NHL start with 37 saves, including one on Dillon Dube’s third-period penalty shot. Soderblom made his NHL debut Saturday, playing the second and third period of Chicago’s 6-1 loss at Nashville.

Chicago interim coach Derek King said his team had only a few “passengers” Sunday after he thought nearly half his players weren't ready in a 6-1 loss at Nashville on Saturday. And King was impressed with the 22-year-old Soderblom, saying "the poor kid played a hell of a game for us."

Marc-Andre Fleury, the Blackhawks’ top goalie, returned from COVID-19 protocol Sunday and was on the bench the as the backup.

Sunday’s game was Chicago’s second in two days after a 13-day layoff when four of its contests were postponed because of COVID-19. The Blackhawks played their first home game since Dec. 17 in an uncharacteristically quiet United Center, where there were plenty of empty seats.

DeBrincat opened the scoring 9:41 into the game, ripping in a one-timer from the slot after taking Patrick Kane’s pinpoint pass through traffic from behind the net.

Tkachuk tied it with a slick, on-the-fly deflection with 6:47 left in the first. Cutting through the crease, Tkachuk redirected Gaudreau’s feed past Soderblom low on the stick side for his 14th goal.

Lindholm’s power-play goal midway through the second put Calgary ahead 2-1. His low one-timer from edge of the right circle slipped through Soderblom as Tkachuk screened at the edge of the crease.

Moments after stopping Mikael Backlund on a breakaway, Soderblom gave up a short-handed goal to Lewis with 2:14 left in the period that made it 3-1. Lewis skated unchecked from the left corner, then lofted in a backhander on the short side.

Following an empty-netter from Kylington with 1:55 left, Gaudreau completed the scoring from the left circle 29 seconds later.

• Good Post 1

Game # 31

Flames 2 Panthers 6

Panthers win 4th consecutive game, roll past Flames 6-2

ss_20220104_213039178_1853673_default.jp

ByAP
Updated: 6 hours ago

SUNRISE, Fla. -- — The NHL season isn't even half over, yet Calgary coach Darryl Sutter has seen enough to offer big praise to the Florida Panthers.

“That's a team that's built for playoff hockey," Sutter said.

Few would probably argue these days.

The Panthers are rolling again, and Sutter's Flames were on the receiving end on Tuesday night. Patric Hornqvist scored twice, Sergei Bobrovsky stopped a season-high 47 shots and the Panthers pushed their winning streak to four games by topping the Flames 6-2.

“That’s a different level of team," Sutter said after it was over and Florida scored the final five goals of the contest. “We’re not there yet."

Joe Thornton got a history-making go-ahead goal late in the first period for Florida, which improved to 18-3-0 on home ice. Anthony Duclair, Ryan Lomberg and Lucas Carlsson also scored for Florida, and Brandon Montour had the second three-assist game of his career.

“It’s still early in the season,” Panthers interim coach Andrew Brunette said.

“There’s a long way to go. But anybody that turns on a hockey game and watches the Florida Panthers play right now is going to be entertained. ... When we get wave after wave and get everybody rolling, we’re a pretty dangerous hockey team.”

Johnny Gaudreau got his 14th goal of the season for Calgary, and Blake Coleman also scored for the Flames, who led 2-1 early before the Panthers — now with 24 goals in their last four games — got rolling.

Carter Verhaeghe had two assists for Florida, which is now 19-0-0 when scoring at least four goals this season.

Jacob Markstrom stopped 39 shots for Calgary.

“You’re not going to win many games when you’re giving up six," Calgary forward Matthew Thachuk said. “We left Marky out to dry on pretty much all of them."

And for the 42-year-old Thornton, a deflection — a power-play tip of a shot by Montour — late in the first period for a 3-2 Florida lead only added to his resume. His first goal came on Dec. 3, 1997, and he has now scored in every calendar year since, 26 consecutive years and counting.

It was one of two power-play goals on the night for Florida.

“You give up that many goals, you’re not going to win," Sutter said. “We had some defensemen that weren’t into the defending or checking part of the game and it cost us the hockey game."

Bobrovsky's previous high this season for saves was 43. It was the fourth time in his career that he stopped at least 47 shots — and ended the game stopping the last 41 shots that he saw.

“Bob's great," Lomberg said. “He played how he can. We've got all the confidence in the world in Bob and in our goaltending. It's no surprise to us in that room when he makes big saves and does it time and time again. It's no surprise. We see it every day from him."

NO MORE

Calgary came into the game with a 9-2-2-2 record all-time when visiting Florida’s FLA Live Arena, the best mark of any NHL team when playing at the Panthers’ current home (excluding Seattle, which is 1-0-0 after winning at Sunrise earlier this season in its debut trip there).

That was a point percentage of .733. It’s no longer the best by a visitor to Florida’s rink.

Edmonton — 10-4-1-0, with a point percentage .of 700 in its 15 trips to Sunrise — now has the best record of any opponent in the Panthers’ building.

• Good Post 1

Game # 32

Flames 1 Bolts 4

Tampa Bay Lightning's Nikita Kucherov returns, has 2 assists in win over Calgary Flames

TAMPA, Fla. -- Nikita Kucherov had a pair of nifty assists in his return from a lengthy injury during Tampa Bay's three-goal third period, and the Lightning beat the Calgary Flames 4-1 on Thursday night.

Corey Perry, Brayden Point, Ondrej Palat and Alex Killorn scored to help Tampa Bay (23-8-5, 51 points) become the first NHL team to reach 50 points for the fourth time in the last five seasons. Andrei Vasilevskiy made 26 saves, losing his shutout bid when Dillon Dube scored with 4:06 left.Kucherov, who missed 32 games with an undisclosed lower-body injury that required surgery, sent a pass through the slot from the low right circle to set up Point's goal that put the Lightning up 2-0 2:52 into third. The right wing then made a spin move behind the net to assist on Palat's low slot goal at 10:10.

"Do I think he played well? I do," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. "Do I think he has better than that? I do. Do I think he is an elite talent? I do."

Kucherov missed all of the 2020-21 abbreviated regular season following hip surgery and came back to have a league-best 32 playoff points as Tampa Bay won its second consecutive Stanley Cup. He had three shots on goal and five missed attempts in 17½ minutes of play Thursday.

"It felt good," Kucherov said. "It was nice to be back, that's for sure."

Killorn made it 4-0 just 14 seconds after Palat's goal.

Flames backup goalie Dan Vladar stopped 29 shots in his first game since Dec. 7. Johnny Gaudreau had his 11-game road points streak (nine goals, 18 points) end.

"I thought we played a better team," Calgary coach Darryl Sutter said. "They wear you out."

Perry opened the scoring at 12:21 of the second.

Calgary right wing Brad Richardson was given a match penalty for an illegal check to the head on Mathieu Joseph with five minutes left in the second. Joseph was not hurt.

Tampa Bay outshot the Flames 14-8 and hit the post twice during a scoreless first period. Vladar made four saves, including on Steven Stamkos' drive from the left circle and Kucherov's shot from the low right circle, during a power play late in the period.

Vladar was also strong in the second, turning aside 13 of 14 shots.

"Sometimes you learn lessons the hard way in this league and I thought we learned a lot of them, tonight," Flames center Blake Coleman said.

Gaudreau appeared to make contact with Stamkos behind the net following Killorn's goal that led to a scrum. There were three fights in the game.

WELCOME BACK

Coleman received his 2021 Stanley Cup ring from the Lightning before the morning skate and was honored in a video tribute in the first period.

Coleman, a two-time Cup winner with Tampa Bay, signed as a free agent with the Flames during the offseason. He had two goals, including the winner in Game 2, during Tampa Bay's five-game Final win over Montreal last July.

• Good Post 1

Game # 33

Flames 3 Canes 6

Svechniknov scores twice as Hurricanes beat Flames 6-3

ss_20220107_214412981_1855873_default.jp

ByAP
Updated: 5 hours ago

RALEIGH, N.C. -- — Andrei Svechnikov scored two goals and the Carolina Hurricanes returned to action after nearly a week layoff by beating the Calgary Flames 6-3 on Friday night.

Brady Skjei had a goal and two assists, while Derek Stepan, Jesper Fast and Tony DeAngelo also scored and Steven Lorentz had two assists for Carolina, which won for the ninth time in 10 games and moved past Washington and the New York Rangers into first place in the Metropolitan Division.

Frederik Andersen stopped 36 shots while playing a full game for the first time in nearly three weeks.

“I kind of figured that was going to happen,” Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour said of a slow start. “You just come off that long break. As much as you talk about it, you’ve got to be in the rhythm and it just took us a while. (Andersen) kept us in the game the first period.”

Blake Coleman and Matthew Tkachuk had a goal and an assist, and Johnny Gaudreau also scored for the Flames, who’ve lost three straight for their longest stretch without a point this season.

“We had a five-game trip,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “You go on long trips, you try to get more points than games played. Tonight would have given us six (points) in five, so we fell short. We got four in five.”

Dan Vladar stopped 31 shots while appearing in back-to-back-games for only the second time this season after suffering the loss in Thursday night’s 4-1 defeat at Tampa Bay.

The Hurricanes hadn’t played since Saturday because of a postponement. They endured a ragged first period before Stepan, Svechnikov and DeAngelo scored in a five-minute stretch of the second to take a 4-1 lead.

“We came out a bit of a different team after that first period,” said Fast, who played in his 500th career game. “We deserved the lead we got in the second period.”

Tkachuk scored his 13th of the season with 6:34 left in the second — less than a minute after DeAngelo’s goal — and Gaudreau cut Carolina’s lead to 4-3 with 11:03 to play.

Skjei scored with 1:52 left and Svechnikov got his second of the game and 12th of the season less than a minute later on a power play to cap the scoring.

The Flames went 0 for 4 on power plays. It marked just the second time this season that Calgary didn’t produce a power-play goal when it had at least four chances with a man advantage.

“Their penalty killing, how aggressive they are,” Sutter said.

ALL BETS ARE OFF

Skjei has three goals in his last two games.

“I’ve obviously had some pretty good looks coming right down the slot,” he said. “Hopefully, I keep finding those spots.”

Because of a late scoring change on the assists for Svechnikov’s first goal, Skjei ended up with three points for just the second time in his career. The other came in March 2017.

“We’ll see how long this lasts,” he said of the offensive production. “I would say the betting odds of that lasting are pretty small.”

GIVE IT A SHOT

Calgary had 21 shots in the first period, marking the most allowed in any this period by the Hurricanes.

“It’s not even that we were slow, it was we weren’t up to speed,” Brind’Amour said. “The second period was the exact opposite. It totally flipped. We kind of had our legs.”

The Flames managed only 18 shots the rest of the way. Yet Calgary’s 39-27 overall edge in shots meant the Hurricanes failed to post more shots on goal than their opponent for the first time in the last seven games.

FIRST-TIME FLAWS

The Flames dipped to 8-1-2 against teams from the Metropolitan Division with their first regulation setback in those encounters. They fell to Carolina in overtime last month at home.

Calgary also dropped to 3-1-1 in the second games of outings on back-to-back days.

• Good Post 1

Game # 34

Flames 1 Sens 4

Senators return from break, beat slumping Flames 4-1

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Nick Paul scored twice in the first period, Matt Murray made 27 saves for his first victory of the season and the Ottawa Senators beat the Calgary Flames 4-1 on Thursday night.

Playing their first game since New Year’s Day and just their second in 26 days, the Senators didn’t look rusty, outshooting Calgary 34-28 to open a two-game Alberta trip.

Drake Batherson and Connor Brown also scored for Ottawa in a breakout game for Paul.

“He was all over the ice. He was dancing. So when the big boy is feeling it, you get him the puck,” Brown said.

Paul was moved to center with Tim Stützle in COVID-19 protocol and responded with his third career two-goal game and first since Dec. 30, 2019.

“Wherever I play I try to do my role, which is create space, win battles, take pucks to the net,” Paul said.

His line with Brown and Alex Formenton combined for six points.

“When you’re playing and making space, those types of players are the ones who find you and make things happen,” Paul said.

He had scored just once in his previous 19 games.

“He did a heck of a job,” Senators coach DJ Smith said. “He shot pucks. He was big. He was strong. He did everything you’d want a guy to come back and do and he was arguably our best player tonight.”

Matthew Tkachuk scored for Calgary, and Jacob Markstrom stopped 30 shots. The Flames have lost four in a row and are 2-7-1 in their last 10.

“The emotional level of our group has been lacking for a period of time now,” coach Darryl Sutter said.

“There has to be a lot more guys able to handle adversity. That’s a big challenge for this group,” he added. “It’s still so much of a process that it can be frustrating, but at the same time, we can dig in and play better.”

Tkachuk said the Flames are fortunate they got off to a fast start.

“It’s definitely not the way we want it to be right now. Thank God we had the start we did — it will keep us in it still,” Tkachuk said. “There’s no panic by any stretch, but we want to fix this.”

The Flames played at home for the first time since Dec. 11, following postponements caused by a COVID-19 outbreak and capacity restrictions. With restrictions still in place, the actual attendance was considerably less than the permitted half capacity with far more empty seats than fans.

“This is not a knock on goaltending or anyone, but when the other team scores a goal on the first shot, it’s never the way that you want to start a game,” Calgary forward Milan Lucic said.

• Good Post 1

Game # 35

Flames 5 Fla 1

Monahan scores twice, Flames beat Panthers 5-1

ByAP
Updated: 4 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Sean Monahan scored twice for the first time this season and the slumping Calgary Flames beat the NHL-leading Florida Panthers 5-1 Tuesday night.

Rasmus Andersson got his first goal of the season, Matthew Tkachuk and Blake Coleman also scored and Johnny Gaudreau had four assists for Calgary. The Flames snapped a four-game skid and won on home ice for the first time since Nov. 29. They were 2-7-1 in their past 10 games.

“When the puck goes in, you get some more confidence in your game and you want to continue that,” said Monahan, a three-time 30-goal scorer, who entered the night having only scored four times. “Obviously, I want to produce and I’ve got to keep working at that.”

Jacob Markstrom had 28 saves for Calgary. He had given up at least four goals in his previous five starts.

Sam Bennett scored for Florida, which ended a four-game winning streak and a nine-game points streak (8-0-1). Spencer Knight stopped 26 shots filling in for Sergei Bobrovsky.

“Didn’t really come prepared to play here early. That’s on me,” Panthers interim coach Andrew Brunette said. “We weren’t prepared to pay the price tonight. It’s going to happen, games like this.”

Monahan deflected in a power-play goal at 16:03 of the second period to make it 3-1, then put it away at 6:43 of the third off a drop pass from Gaudreau. Monahan beat Knight on a move in close to make it 5-1.

Tkachuk said that Monahan, who has often been the target of fan scorn, plays a bigger role than fans realize.

“He does a lot of little things that most people don’t notice,” he said. “He’s really solid for us on the power play. We’re out there the most with him and he’s great on draws, great recovering pucks. He’s a big time threat that opens up some stuff for the rest of us.”

Calgary got a power play four minutes into the game and needed just 23 seconds to take advantage, with Andersson knocking in his own rebound from the slot.

The Flames extended their lead to 2-0 at 11:36 of the first. A stretch of prolonged pressure by Calgary’s newly formed second line culminated in Coleman’s seventh goal, the assists going to his linemates Andrew Mangiapane and Mikael Backlund.

Bennett scored 12:36 into the second to cut Florida’s deficit in half. Bennett was traded to Florida ahead of the trade deadline last season after logging 402 games with Calgary over six seasons. He’s been a revelation since joining the Panthers, scoring 22 goals in 40 games.

The power play was key for the Flames, striking twice on three opportunities after entering the game 0 for 10 during the losing streak.

Gaudreau had his first four-assist game on home ice and just the second of his career. Tkachuk also kept his offensive hot streak going with three points. He has 13 points (six goals, seven assists) over his last eight games.

• Good Post 1

Markstrom with strong game and Calgary being tougher and stronger - could tell no one on Florida wanted to fight Calgary heavyweights they didn't even want to fight Ritchie or Zadorov nevermind Lucic or Gubrandson💪

🔥🔥🔥Sutter boys getting it done defensively again🔥🔥🔥

Game # 36

Flames 3 Edm 5

Draisaitl has 4 points, Oilers beat Flames 5-3 to stop slide

By AP

EDMONTON, Alberta -- — Leon Draisaitl had two goals and two assists, Evan Bouchard also scored twice and the Edmonton Oilers came from behind to snap a seven-game losing streak Saturday night with a 5-3 victory over the Calgary Flames.

Brendan Perlini added a goal for the Oilers (19-16-2), who were 2-11-2 in their previous 15 games. Connor McDavid had two assists and Mikko Koskinen made 44 saves in Edmonton’s first win since beating expansion Seattle on Dec. 18.

“It feels great. Losing is awful. It sucks. It is not fun. It feels like there is always a cloud around you,” Draisaitl said. “We are not where we want to be yet, but this is a start and you have to start at some point."

Matthew Tkachuk, Milan Lucic and Noah Hanifin scored for the Flames (18-12-6), who are 3-8-1 in their last 12 games. Hanifin had two assists, and Jacob Markstrom stopped 26 of 30 shots.

“It’s very disappointing. We did a lot of things right, we created a lot of chances and in the third period, we spent the majority of the time in the O-zone and only gave up four shots,” Lucic said.

“It’s disappointing especially with the effort that we gave and how well we played. It’s one of those things — they get life on the power play and they get themselves back in it and we deserved better than the result that we got.”

As usual, Edmonton allowed the first goal of the game. It came at 8:29 of the first period as Tkachuk lifted a rebound over Koskinen’s leg to tie for the team lead with his 18th goal. It was the 15th time in the last 16 games — and the 24th in the past 28 — that the Oilers gave up the first goal.

Calgary made it 2-0 on a power-play goal with 41 seconds remaining in the first as Lucic tipped Hanifin's shot through Koskinen's legs.

Edmonton got on the board 5:35 into the second when Bouchard's drive from the point on the power play beat Markstrom. McDavid got an assist to avoid going pointless for four games in a row for the first time in his career.

“Whenever you’re losing games it’s obviously a bad feeling,” McDavid said. “We’re human. We have feelings. Those losses pile up and they weigh on you. It’s human nature. It’s nice to find a way to get a win. Hopefully we build a little momentum here.”

Bouchard picked the top corner for his second power-play goal of the game midway through the middle period to tie it 2-all.

The Oilers surged in front with 1:42 left in the second when Perlini beat Markstrom with a long wrist shot. But the Flames erased that lead less than a minute later on an even longer shot from Hanifin.

Edmonton went up 4-3 with 5:31 left in the third period as Draisaitl showed tremendous patience in waiting for Markstrom to go down before putting the puck in the net.

Draisaitl added an empty-netter with one second to play for his 28th goal of the season.

“It was a full team effort,” Draisaitl said. "A good game for us.”

• Good Post 1

Very disappointing loss for Calgary...despite outplaying Edmonton for most of game including an outstanding first period.

For me the main reason for the loss was that Markstrom let in 3 long range goals in 2nd, then on the winning goal by draisaitl he was allowed to cut across net without any defenders pushing him down...also while Calgary was definitely more physical, they were not more aggressive - I guess I want a more mean spirited abusive game from Calgary to really put other teams away...☹️

25 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

Very disappointing loss for Calgary...despite outplaying Edmonton for most of game including an outstanding first period.

For me the main reason for the loss was that Markstrom let in 3 long range goals in 2nd, then on the winning goal by draisaitl he was allowed to cut across net without any defenders pushing him down...also while Calgary was definitely more physical, they were not more aggressive - I guess I want a more mean spirited abusive game from Calgary to really put other teams away...☹️

Also, Puljujarvi got away with what was (imo) clear interference Kylington.

• Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1