Calgary Flames season 21/22

Brewin Flames

Game # 37

Flames 7 Blues 1

Tkachuk, Gaudreau lead Flames over Blues 7-1

By AP
4 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Matthew Tkachuk had a career-high five assists, Johnny Gaudreau had a goal and three assists, and the Calgary Flames routed the St. Louis Blues 7-1 Monday night.

Tkachuk ended a four-game goal-scoring streak but was happy to spread the wealth. Four of his assists came in the second period, when Calgary outshot St. Louis 18-2.

“See a play, make a play. It’s pretty simple,” Tkachuk said. “Be around the net, try to have good hands in tight and whether it’s in the corner or on the walls, just look for my linemates and spread out the zone.”

Tkachuk has 17 points (four goals, 13 assists) in 13 career games against his hometown team.

Nikita Zadorov, Chris Tanev, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, Blake Coleman and Adam Ruzicka also scored for Calgary (19-12-6), which won for just the second time in seven games.

Tyler Bozak scored for St. Louis (25-12-5), which had won six of its previous seven.

Jacob Markstrom made 20 saves to earn the victory and improve to 14-9-5.

Jordan Binnington stopped 28 of 35 shots before being replaced by Ville Husso to start the third. Husso stopped all 13 shots he faced.

Gaudreau and Tkachuk have both been on a tear, combining for 24 points over the last five games. During their five-game point streaks, Gaudreau has 11 points (two goals, nine assists).

“Matthew’s got great vision when he’s got the puck,” coach Darryl Sutter said. “And playing on his off wing this year gives him a whole different dynamic of what he can see and what he can do and he’s making the most of it.”

Calgary went 2 for 5 on the power play against the Blues’ fourth-ranked penalty kill, which was a perfect 12 for 12 in the previous three games. St. Louis’s second-ranked power play went 0 for 2.

“Right from the get-go we were on our heels and just watching,” Blues captain Ryan O’Reilly said. “Against a team like that, you just can’t do it. They took over the game. They dominated us from start to finish.”

• Good Post 1

That Pulju interference brought some memories of Brind'Amour tripping Kurri in the finals of the 1994 IIHF Championships, thus freeing himself to score the tying goal in a one goal game that ended in a Canadian shootout victory. After that I've always felt a vengeful glee when any Finn gets away with murder in a hockey game.

(The trip and the goal in about 40 seconds to the clip. Thank God the refs don't allow the amount of interference that plagued hockey back then!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Game # 38

Flames 6 Jackets 0

Calgary Flames fire team-record 62 shots on goal in torching Columbus Blue Jackets

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Matthew Tkachuk scored twice and the Calgary Flames fired a team-record 62 shots on goal in trouncing the Columbus Blue Jackets 6-0 Wednesday night.

It was the most shots taken by a visiting team in a regular-season game since the NHL started tracking shots on goal in 1955-56, according to STATS.

Jacob Markstrom made 23 saves for his 13th career shutout, sending the Blue Jackets to their third straight loss and fourth in a row at home. Calgary bombarded Columbus goalie Elvis Merzlikins, who stopped 56 shots.

"That's 60 minutes of really well-played hockey,'' Markstrom said. "The guys played great.''

Andrew Mangiapane, Mikael Backlund, Elias Lindholm and Erik Gudbranson added goals for the Flames, who have won three of four. Johnny Gaudreau had three assists.

Markstrom is undefeated in four starts against Columbus, and the Flames have won the last five matchups between the teams.

"You don't have to dissect this,'' Blue Jackets coach Brad Larsen said. "They were the better team. They had the puck all night. We were not nearly good enough.

"Guys are trying. It certainly wasn't good enough.''

Backlund got the scoring started at 4:21 of the first period, beating Merzlikins stick side for his fourth goal of the season and first since Nov. 21.

Mangiapane made it 2-0 at 15:14 with a deflection that stood after a replay challenge for a high stick. It was his 19th of the season, 18 of which have come on the road.

Tkachuk's shot with 5.2 seconds left in the second put Calgary up 3-0.

"They scored some highlight goals for sure,'' Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. "Johnny was full control of the puck when Matthew was going to the net, and when you look, that's a big goal that he scores. That gives you such an advantage, and that's a slick play that he scores on.''

Columbus failed to get a shot on goal in the second until 8:50 remained in the period. Merzlikins faced 39 shots through two.

Calgary made it 4-0 just 30 seconds into the third when Lindholm converted Gaudreau's rebound.

Gudbranson's shot from the blue line at 6:55, his first goal of the season, made it 5-0. Tkachuk scored his team-leading 20th at 7:36.

Gaudreau extended his point streak to six games and leads the Flames with 35 assists to go with 16 goals.

Flames fire record 62 shots on goal, rout Blue Jackets 6-0

With a team-record 62 shots on goal, the Calgary Flames defeat the Columbus Blue Jackets on their home ice with a massive 6-0 shutout.

ByAP
Updated: 5 hours ago

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- — Matthew Tkachuk scored twice and the Calgary Flames fired a team-record 62 shots on goal in trouncing the Columbus Blue Jackets 6-0 Wednesday night.

It was the most by a visiting team in a regular-season game since the NHL started tracking shots on goal in 1955-56, according to STATS.

Jacob Markstrom made 23 saves for his 13th career shutout, sending the Blue Jackets to their third straight loss and fourth in a row at home. Calgary bombarded Columbus goalie Elvis Merzlikins, who stopped 56 shots.

“That’s 60 minutes of really well-played hockey,” Markstrom said. “The guys played great.”

Andrew Mangiapane, Mikael Backlund, Elias Lindholm and Erik Gudbranson added goals for the Flames, who have won three of four. Johnny Gaudreau had three assists.

Markstrom is undefeated in four starts against Columbus, and the Flames have won the last five matchups between the teams.

“You don’t have to dissect this,” Blue Jackets coach Brad Larsen said. “They were the better team. They had the puck all night. We were not nearly good enough.

“Guys are trying. It certainly wasn’t good enough.”

Backlund got the scoring started at 4:21 of the first period, beating Merzlikins stick side for his fourth goal of the season and first since Nov. 21.

Mangiapane made it 2-0 at 15:14 with a deflection that stood after a replay challenge for a high stick. It was his 19th of the season, 18 of which have come on the road.

Tkachuk’s shot with 5.2 seconds left in the second put Calgary up 3-0.

“They scored some highlight goals for sure,” Flames coach Darryl Sutter said. “Johnny was full control of the puck when Matthew was going to the net, and when you look, that’s a big goal that he scores. That gives you such an advantage, and that’s a slick play that he scores on.”

Columbus failed to get a shot on goal in the second until 8:50 remained in the period. Merzlikins faced 39 shots through two.

Calgary made it 4-0 just 30 seconds into the third when Lindholm converted Gaudreau’s rebound.

Gudbranson’s shot from the blue line at 6:55, his first goal of the season, made it 5-0. Tkachuk scored his team-leading 20th at 7:36.

Gaudreau extended his point streak to six games and leads the Flames with 35 assists to go with 16 goals.

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Good Post 1

Calgary with their best game of season just dominated the game, the shot totals tell the story - seemed like Columbus never had possession of the puck, was like a Harlem Globetrotters😁

Markstrom wasn't tested but he deserves another shutout since he should of had the shutout the game before against St Louis.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

That Pulju interference brought some memories of Brind'Amour tripping Kurri in the finals of the 1994 IIHF Championships, thus freeing himself to score the tying goal in a one goal game that ended in a Canadian shootout victory. After that I've always felt a vengeful glee when any Finn gets away with murder in a hockey game.

(The trip and the goal in about 40 seconds to the clip. Thank God the refs don't allow the amount of interference that plagued hockey back then!)

Haha yeah, the stick penalties should definitely be cracked down even more, I like physical play and fighting - but things like interference and any stick penalties should definitely be called.

Man, can't help but chuckle when Kurri gets up and just stretches his arms out like what the F...just gets mugged😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

60 shots in one game. That is just incredible.

My fantasy goalie, Elvis Merzlikins took a beating in that, but, because Calgary put up so many damned shots, he was still able to come away with a .903 save %.
56 of 62 stopped. Crazy.

Of course, his GAA looks like New Orleans after a hurricane and subsequent flood....

• Like 2

Game # 39

Flames 1 Blues 5

Saad, Husso spark Blues to 5-1 win over Flames

ByAP
Updated: 5 hours ago

ST. LOUIS -- — Brandon Saad scored twice and had an assist, Ville Husso made 28 saves to win his sixth consecutive start, and the St. Louis Blues cruised to a 5-1 victory over the Calgary Flames on Thursday night.

Saad’s two goals give him 15 for the season, matching his total from last season.

“For me, it’s just focusing on every game and bringing my best and when pucks are going in, that obviously feels good,” Saad said. “But at the same time, I want to be a complete player.”

Brayden Schenn had a goal and an assist, and Jordan Kyrou and Ryan O'Reilly also scored for St. Louis.

“I thought everybody did a great job tonight,” Blues coach Craig Berube said. “Everybody up front. Back end I thought was really good. I thought our back end was hard to play against. They broke pucks out, they did a good job, making plays, composure plays. But it was a team effort.”

The Blues got some revenge for a blowout loss at Calgary three days earlier. The Flames outshot the Blues 48-21 in their 7-1 victory over the Blues on Monday.

“Too many mistakes,” Saad said about that game. “We didn’t have our brains on that game and obviously they capitalized on a lot of chances.”

Calgary coach Darryl Sutter wasn't surprised by the Blues' turnaround.

“That’s a veteran good hockey club,” Sutter said. “They had a one-off in Calgary. They’re on a pace for something like 110, 115 points this season. You make mistakes, they’ll make you pay. You give up three goals going into the third period, you don’t win many hockey games. It’s very simple.”

Husso, who made his fourth start in five games, has won all six of his starts since returning from a lower-body injury on Jan. 7. He has played in five consecutive games; he came in relief of Jordan Binnington for the third period in Monday’s game.

Mikael Backlund scored the lone goal for Calgary, which had 29 shots a day after a 6-0 win at Columbus during which the Flames had a franchise-record 62 shots — the highest total in a regulation NHL game since March 1989.

“It was a different team, a better team, for sure,” said Matthew Thachuk, a St. Louis native who earned a career-high five assists against the Blues on Monday.

“It wasn’t even close. I think a lot of it was on us to be honest. Just not our best tonight. It’s a matter of a team that got embarrassed in Calgary and wanted to play way better. Our whole team got outplayed tonight.”

St. Louis struck first when Saad scored at 6:15 of the opening period.

Calgary tied it at 1 when Backlund scored from a tough angle at 10:34.

St. Louis responded by scoring the go-ahead goal at 13:59. Schenn got the puck near the red line from Niko Mikkola and raced up the ice, scoring in the upper right corner of the net.

'We had a good first period," Berube said. “That was a big key to the win, I think.”

Responding well against Calgary was a matter of pride, Schenn said.

“You don’t like losing like that and you always kind of put those losses in the back of your mind against the teams that beat you that bad,” Schenn said. “Just happened to be three days later that we get another chance at it, so you don’t take those losses lightly.”

Saad’s second goal gave St. Louis a 3-1 lead at 9:57 in the second. The puck came off a Flames stick from behind the net and Saad, in the slot, quickly popped it in.

St. Louis scored twice in the third period. From behind the net, Robert Thomas found Kyrou in front of the net. Kyrou scored at 4:10 for a 4-1 lead. Kyrou has seven goals and seven assists over his last 11 games.

O’Reilly scored a power-play goal at 18:59.

“They took charge of the game,” Sutter said. “Their coaching staff did a really good job.”

• Good Post 1

On 1/28/2022 at 4:58 AM, Villella McMeans said:

Disappointed in Markstrom performance...hopping he'll bounce back for Vancouver on Saturday...🙏

Bounce back game both for Markstrom and entire team dominating every aspect of the game against Vancouver tonight and getting league leading 7th shutout as well🔥🔥🔥💪💪💪👍👍👍

Game # 40

Flames 1 Van 0 OT

Gaudreau, Markstrom help Flames beat Canucks 1-0 in OT

The Flames are finally able to score in OT as Johnny Gaudreau nets one to defeat the Canucks 1-0.

ByAP
Updated: 1 hour ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Johnny Gaudreau scored 29 seconds into overtime and the Calgary Flames beat the Vancouver Canucks 1-0 Saturday night.

The Flames got the deciding goal when Gaudreau took a drop pass from Elias Lindholm and fired it into the low corner past Canucks goalie Thatcher Demko on a slap shot from 25 feet out.

“I know Thatcher very well and I scored a couple times high glove on him last year.” Gaudreau said. “Had the opportunity to score a couple times on the high glove (tonight) so I think he knew it was coming. So then on the overtime goal, I switched it up and went blocker side and found a way to beat him there.”

Gaudreau has seven goals and 15 assists in 12 games since the Flames returned from an 18-day break in the schedule due to a team COVID outbreak.

Jacob Markstrom had 15 saves for his seventh shutout of the season — second in three games — and 15th of his career. The Flames, who have totaled nine shutouts, won their third straight at home and for the fourth time in six games overall.

“I’m never gonna complain of getting not enough shots,” Markstrom said. “We’re playing really good defensively and I think we needed that, and I needed to step up my game as well from last game in St. Louis (5-1 loss). So a good bounce back.”

It was the Flames’ first 1-0 overtime victory since Blair Jones scored the winning goal in a win over Anaheim on Jan. 12, 2012.

Demko finished with 31 saves for the Canucks, who have lost four of five (1-1-3). Vancouver was shut out for just the second time this season.

It wasn’t the effort Canucks coach Bruce Boudreau was expecting after Vancouver opened a four-game road trip with a 5-1 win over the Jets on Thursday.

“It was like we were skating in quicksand all night long,” he said. “I don’t know what the reason was. We’ll try to find that out tomorrow, but it definitely didn’t have near the energy that we had when we played Winnipeg.”

Markstrom’s best stops came in the opening minute of the third period when Bo Horvat found open space down the right wing, but Markstrom got a blocker on it.

It was Horvat’s first game back after missing five games in COVID protocol. The Canucks' captain centered a line with Elias Pettersson and Conor Garland.

Also just out of COVID protocol and making his first start since Jan. 18 was Demko, who missed four games.

The game was scoreless at the end of regulation despite a 31-15 edge in shots for Calgary. Flames coach Darryl Sutter liked how his team didn’t get frustrated.

“It’s about preparation mentally,” said Sutter. “There’s always bad calls, bad goals, things like that. And you have to be able to stick with it. Doesn’t mean you win all the time, but if you have that winning attitude, in the long run it will help, especially some of our young players.”

Scoreless through 40 minutes, Calgary enjoyed the best chances of the first couple periods.

At 14:22 of the second, Gaudreau was awarded a penalty shot after he was hooked from behind by Luke Schenn while on a breakaway. However, Demko got an arm on Gaudreau's rising attempt on the penalty shot, deflecting the puck over the net.

The Flames got a golden opportunity early in the game to surge ahead. Thirteen minutes into the first period, Vancouver defenseman Tyler Myers was assessed a match penalty for a check to the head after his heavy hit along the end boards on Trevor Lewis shook up the veteran Flames forward.

But up against the league’s worst-ranked penalty kill, Calgary only mustered two shots and wasn’t able to create any dangerous chances while allowing the Canucks to register their only shot of the period – a backhand by Tyler Motte.

The Flames finished 0 for 4 on the power play. Vancouver was 0 for 3. The Canucks got two power plays in the last half of the third period, but failed to generate a shot on either.

• Good Post 1

Game # 41

Flames 4 Stars 3

Kylington caps third-period rally, Flames beat Stars 4-3

By AP
6 hours ago

DALLAS -- — Oliver Kylington exited the penalty box, joined a rush and scored to cap a three-goal rally in the third period as the Calgary Flames defeated the Dallas Stars 4-3 on Tuesday night.

Kylington jumped into a 3-on-1 break, took a pass from Rasmus Andersson and beat Dallas goalie Jake Oettinger with 1:47 to play.

“The (penalty kill) did a huge job to get the puck out,” Kylington said. “I thought (Andersson) would shoot it but as long as the puck went in, I was happy.”

Andrew Mangiapane and Johnny Gaudreau also scored third-period goals, and Elias Lindholm assisted on the tying and winning goals. Trevor Lewis also scored for Calgary.

Calgary peppered Oettinger with 18 shots in the third period.

“It was a great comeback victory,” Mangiapane said, “but I think we've got to do a better job playing the full 60.”

Flames goale Dan Vladar faced just five shots after replacing Jacob Markstrom to begin the third period. Markstrom stopped 20 of 23 shots in the first two periods.

Joel Hanley, Jason Robertson and Jamie Benn scored for Dallas.

The Flames took a 1-0 lead 1:54 into the game on a goal by Lewis on a 2-on-1 rush.

For the Stars, Hanley tied the score with his first career goal in his 100th NHL game. Robertson and Benn scored to give the Stars a 3-1 lead heading into the third period.

Oettinger gave up a goal on the game's second shot, but regrouped to make 37 saves.

“I thought we were lucky to be up 3-1,” Dallas coach Rick Bowness said. "It just carried over to the whole third period. They were in our zone the whole time.

“We beat ourselves today. The other team picked up the intensity, and we didn't.”

Kylington had gone off for holding at 16:03 of the third period.

“I was praying there,” Kylington said of his time in the penalty box, while the Flames were successfully killing the third of three Dallas power plays. Ten seconds after Kylington left the box, he scored the deciding goal.

Mangiapane watched the rush from the bench. “I was thinking, ‘Somebody shoot the puck.’ I think there were six passes. It was a pretty play, a great goal.”

The game's first two goals came from unlikely scorers.

Veterans Lewis and Milan Lucic, who had an assist, have played in all 41 games for the Flames this season. The goal was Lewis’ fourth, and the assist the seventh for Lucic. Rookie Adam Ruzicka received his second assist in 13 NHL games for passing across to Lewis.

Hanley scored on a partially blocked shot that bounced crazily toward the net and took a left turn between Markstrom's legs, tying the game at 1.

Rookie Riley Damiani's assist was his first in his seventh NHL game, and Tanner Kero recorded his third assist in 20 games this season.

“It was nice to contribute offensively,” Hanley said. “I was lucky enough to score. It was something I always wanted to do.”

Robertson gave Dallas a 2-1 lead at 18:12 of the first with a wrist shot from high in the slot for his 17th goal.

The Stars put pressure on Markstrom in the second period, outshooting Calgary 17-14. Benn scored at 11:20 of the second period. Tyler Seguin sent the puck in front, where Benn had two chances and put the second in on a backhand shot for his 11th this season.

• Good Post 1

Calgary didn't pay tough enough even though they ended up winning, that was the problem losing to Dallas in playoffs, being pushed around by Benn and Pavelski etc.

But, lucky win tonight and hopefully if we see them again in playoffs we'll play them tougher starting by winning fights to set tone.

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

With Lucic and Tkachuk in the team one would think that there would be no problem of getting pushed around.

Yeah, Calgary has good fighters like Lucic and Ritchie and Gubrandson, so teams don't take liberties or do anything egregious - but Calgary should be intimidating other teams more to put them off their game and make them play with less intensity against Calgary than they do against other weaker teams. Need more fighting basically, that warns other players to stay away and play weaker.

Game # 42

Calgary 4 Yotes 2

Tanev's 4-point game leads Calgary to 4-2 win over Arizona

By AP
Updated: 3 hours ago

GLENDALE, Ariz -- — Christopher Tanev scored the go-ahead goal and had three assists, Blake Coleman scored twice and the Calgary Flames beat the Arizona Coyotes 4-2 on Wednesday night for their fifth win in six games.

Elias Lindholm also scored, and Jacob Markstrom had 24 saves for Calgary, which had 50 shots on goal. The Flames have won three straight.

“Three big wins in a row, back-to-back against two good teams," Tanev said. “We have to parlay that into the home games when we get home” after the All-Star break.

Coleman opened the scoring three minutes into the game and added his second score for a 4-2 lead with eight minutes remaining.

“I thought it was a pretty good effort all around, and obviously it was good to get some personal contributions to the team,” Coleman said.

Clayton Keller and Alex Galchenyuk scored for the Coyotes and goaltender Karel Vejmelka made 46 saves, including a franchise-record 24 in the first period while facing a franchise-record 26 shots.

“I thought we deserved to win,” Calgary coach Darryl Sutter said. “We could have been up four or five in the first period.”

Keller, Arizona’s All-Star, added an assist and extended his points streak to six games, tying a career high. He has three goals and five assists during the streak.

Galchenyuk had his second goal in as many games, and he was the only scorer in the shootout in Coyotes’ 3-2 victory at Colorado on Tuesday, which snapped the Avalanche’s 10-game winning streak and 18-game home win streak.

Arizona had a two-man advantage for the final two minutes after pulling its goalie and a Calgary penalty, but could not score.

When presented with a question, Sutter scoffed at the notion that the Flames (23-13-6) were “supposed” to beat the Coyotes (11-30-4), who have the fewest wins and the fewest points in the Western Conference.

“You are not ‘supposed’ to win a game like tonight,” Sutter said.

“They just beat the best team in the conference and the Stanley Cup favorites last night, and they are coming home. They have a lot of young energy. The league is a lot closer than anybody thinks about.”

Coleman scored from the right circle less than three minutes into the game to give the Flames a 1-0 lead, scoring five seconds after the Coyotes killed off a slashing penalty on Lawson Crouse, who could not get back into the play.

Galchenyuk tied the game at 1-all at 8:34 of the first period. He tipped in a wrist shot from Jacob Chychrun from the right point.

Lindholm made it 2-1 with 10 seconds remaining in the first period, flipping a wrist shot from the right circle in the far side after controlling Johnny Gaudreau’s pass from behind the net.

“The first period they were all over us. It was a grind,” Coyotes coach Andre Tourigny said. “But the damage was done, in the sense they wore us down. ‘Veggie' was rock solid. But we don't kid ourselves, Calgary was dominant tonight."

Keller’s quick wrist slot from the slot after a centering pass from Nick Schmaltz tied it at 2-2 less than five minutes into the second period.

Tanev gave the Flames a 3-2 lead at 15:15 of the third when his shot from the right point got through a screen by Andrew Mangiapane in front of the net and past Vejmelka.

“'Veggiei' really kept us in and gave up a chance at the end,” Chychrun said.

• Good Post 1

Gudbranson beating up O'Brien tonight is the kind of game Calgary should be playing every night, O'Brien threw a big hit and got beat up for it - after that Calgary dominated the period and the entire game Calgary didn't have to deal with any big hits, and when Coleman leveled Boyd in the third Crouse didn't instigate knowing Calgary would instigate as well if he did.

Intimidating the opposition early is what gave Calgary all the room they wanted to move the puck around all game and by the the way Gaudreau just skated around untouched showed it.

Good game and good win by Calgary, although Markstrom was only average in this one.

Game # 43

Flames 6 VGK 0

Backlund, Markstrom lead Flames past Golden Knights, 6-0

ss_20220209_235731983_188473515_default.

By AP
Updated: 2 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Mikael Backlund had a goal and three assists and Jacob Markstrom stopped 28 shots for his NHL-leading eighth shutout as the Calgary Flames beat the Vegas Golden Knights 6-0 on Wednesday night.

“They did whatever they wanted tonight. We didn't put up much of a fight,” Vegas coach Peter DeBoer said. “They were really good tonight.”

Andrew Mangiapane had two goals, Matthew Tkachuk added a goal and an assist, and Johnny Gaudreau and Elias Lindholm also scored to help Calgary win for the sixth time in seven games.

The Flames moved one point behind Los Angeles and Anaheim for second place in the Pacific Division with Calgary holding four games in hand on the Kings and five on the Ducks.

Markstrom, who got the 16th shutout of his career, improved to 18-10-5 this season. The Flames, starting a seven-game homestand, have won four straight at the Saddledome.

Robin Lehner made 27 saves and fell to 19-13-1 for Vegas.

“Hopefully we show up on time next time,” DeBoer said.

The Golden Knights, coming off a 4-0 win at Edmonton on Tuesday night, were blanked for the third time this season — and first since Nov. 2.

Markstrom wasn’t overly busy early, but he was sharp when called upon, especially over the final 40 minutes. In particular, he had Nolan Patrick’s number, stopping him three times in the second period and all on good scoring chances.

First, he stretched across the crease to stop a redirect from the top of the crease. Right after the ensuing faceoff, he made a glove stop on Patrick from the slot. Then in the final minute of the period, he got a block on Patrick’s backhand after he stripped the puck from Nikita Zadorov and darted in on a breakaway.

Calgary opened the scoring at 5:03 of the first on a perfectly executed give-and-go with Gaudreau and Tkachuk, capped off with Gaudreau going top corner for his 19th goal.

“They dominated us from start to finish. They embarrassed us,” Golden Knights defenseman Brayden McNabb said.

The Flames entered the night 0 for 14 in their previous five games on the power play and while the man advantage wasn’t credited with Calgary’s second goal at 12:24 of the first, it came with Backlund beating Lehner on another wrist shot to the top corner, just 4 seconds after McNabb got out of the penalty box.

Calgary jumped in front 3-0 less than three minutes later in a continuation of the trend of picking the top corner, this time Lindholm ripping one past Lehner from 40 feet out.

“There’s no excuse for how we started the game,” DeBoer said. “The game essentially was over 20 minutes in, unfortunately.”

The Flames extended the lead to 4-0 at 6:57 of the second period on another pretty set-up, this time Backlund centering the puck to Mangiapane for a one-timer that, again, went to top corner on Lehner.

After Tkachuk’s nifty between-the-legs goal at 3:09 of the third, Calgary wrapped up the scoring on another Backlund to Mangiapane set-up.

Just three of Mangiapane’s 22 goals have come on home ice.

• Good Post 1

Game # 44

Flames 5 Leafs 2

Flames use 4-goal second period to top Maple Leafs 5-2

By AP
Updated: 3 hours ago

CALGARY, Alberta -- — Led by Noah Hanifin’s goal and assist, the Calgary Flames scored four times in the second period Thursday night for a 5-2 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs that extended their winning streak to five games.

Andrew Mangiapane, Oliver Kylington, Elias Lindholm and Rasmus Andersson also scored for the Flames (25-13-6), who are heating up on home ice in particular. They've won five consecutive games at the Scotiabank Saddledome, outscoring the opposition 24-4.

Calgary, which has played the fewest home games in the NHL, has five remaining on a seven-game homestand.

“We’ve got to build up the swagger and I think this was a good start,” Andersson said. “A few other guys have talked about this being a real tough place to come play and that’s what we’ve just got to keep doing for teams that come in, and make it a really tough and long night for the opponents.”

Rasmus Sandin and Michael Bunting scored for Toronto (30-11-3), which had won six straight. The Maple Leafs opened a three-game road trip.

Mitch Marner had his eight-game goal and point streaks snapped. He had piled up 19 points during that span (10 goals, nine assists).

"Obviously, we’ve been doing a lot of good things. We’ve been winning a lot of hockey games,” Toronto captain John Tavares said. “These are the games and the opportunities and challenges that we have to really embrace and have to have growth and push through and find a way.”

Jacob Markstrom made his 11th straight start in net for Calgary. Coming off a 6-0 shutout of Vegas on Wednesday, he was excellent once again in making 46 stops to improve to 19-10-5.

One of Markstrom’s 18 saves in a scoreless first period was a superb pad stop on Marner after he was set up neatly at the top of the crease on a centering pass from Morgan Rielly.

All-Star Jack Campbell, making his first start since Feb. 1, was credited with 21 stops for the Maple Leafs. His record fell to 21-7-3.

“It’s a long year. There’s going to be games like this, games we feel good and disappointed with the result,” Campbell said. “But you learn from it and be ready to go the next game, so that’s what we’re going to do.”

Three defensemen scored for Calgary, which broke the game open with three goals in less than three minutes during the second period.

“Once we get the first one, it felt like we’re rolling and we’re rolling and we’re rolling,” Andersson said. “They take a timeout after the third one and we go out and score the fourth one and then the fifth one.”

Auston Matthews had an assist for Toronto, extending his point streak to six games (six goals, seven assists).

• Good Post 1