Sanheim signs 2yr deal. $4.675M AVV

ruxpin

On 8/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, ruxpin said:

I'd like to give NAK another year to make sure, but so far I don't see anything that says we'll remember him 10 minutes after he's gone

i dont remember who he is, and he's still here

On 8/22/2021 at 9:52 AM, ruxpin said:

Don't disagree.

I think, though, had they gone to arbitration it would have been very similar and potentially more (I don't think justifiably so, but you never know with arbitration).  But it would very likely have been one year.  There must be some hedging whether York will be ready for that in only one year. And probably concern about both Sanheim and Risto heading into UFA in the same offseason.  Might be more manageable this way.

Probably slightly high on merit, but sadly merit is not the only criteria (not sure if it really ever was, but it certainly is not now).

I'm wondering about only 22 players, though.  So now I'm thinking probably another small move.  If it's NAK, I'm okay with it   I'd like to see him for another year, but I won't be upset either.

On the other hand, *IF* York says "I'm here!" in camp, do you move Braun for that space? I think prevailing wisdom is let York develop in the A,  but I can see the temptation if he has a really good camp.  All this being *if.*

Sanheim could end up being the odd man out if York develops the way the Flyers hope. If York does then Sanheim becomes a trading chip for the Flyers to acquire a player they need. It's an overpayment but like other posters have said it's the way Fletcher has done business when it comes to signing or resigning players.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

All these players making all this $$$$$$$ and folks here are sweating a guy who is signed for one year barely making a million bucks....i give you Philadelphia Flyers fans...say no more.

SMFH.

:bonkingheadonwall:

For the record, I'm not sweating him making anything.  

I don't see what earns him $10.00/hr. but I'm willing to wait to see him for a season in which (hopefully!) the team isn't a complete bumbling keystone kops clusterfk.

I mean, we all beat up on Patrick, but at least he had an actual condition and possibly medication to excuse/explain it.  Meanwhile, NAK did exactly nothing more and looked equally disinterested AND took a penalty just thinking about getting on the ice.  And not the kind you get because of imaginary Orange & Black bias or over-exuberance.  Most all were out of lazy, stupid play and being beaten by just about anyone on skates.  

Again, the team was a cluster.  He like everyone else probably was out of position covering something someone else should have been, or a step or two late, etc.

So, I want to see another year. But he has a lot to prove.   Like just about anyone else in a flyers uniform.

I suggested NAK in an effort to get under the cap, but the fact is I don't think his actually helps things anyway.  That's why I'm suggesting Braun, but other things have to be proven first and I don't really think that's such a great idea either.

RonJeremy is actually probably right that Nate Thompson was a mistake. But who takes Nate fricken Thompson at this point?

6 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Sanheim could end up being the odd man out if York develops the way the Flyers hope. If York does then Sanheim becomes a trading chip for the Flyers to acquire a player they need. It's an overpayment but like other posters have said it's the way Fletcher has done business when it comes to signing or resigning players.

Yeah  I think that's the way it plays out. I don't think it happens this year, but I suppose even that is possible.  I think this could likely be the reason they gave a little more to him to get the second year rather than just one from arbitration. They don't have to make that judgment this year yet and can patiently punt York to next year *if they want/need.*

Or, they even get more for him this year with him locked into next year yet.

But yeah, I think they expect York to take that spot.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah  I think that's the way it plays out. I don't think it happens this year, but I suppose even that is possible.  I think this could likely be the reason they gave a little more to him to get the second year rather than just one from arbitration. They don't have to make that judgment this year yet and can patiently punt York to next year *if they want/need.*

Or, they even get more for him this year with him locked into next year yet.

But yeah, I think they expect York to take that spot.

Having York play in the AHL this year would be the best thing for his development, playing top minutes on D, getting lots of power play time will be beneficial. As for Sanheim, if he is having a great year in the 2nd year of this contract then the Flyers might be able to get assets for him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Having York play in the AHL this year would be the best thing for his development, playing top minutes on D, getting lots of power play time will be beneficial. As for Sanheim, if he is having a great year in the 2nd year of this contract then the Flyers might be able to get assets for him.

Agreed. On all counts.

The problem is, is that fans and Front Office can get ahead of themselves. Look at 2 years of Ghost first and we would of given him 7yrs/7mill. Then we had the wonder Twins awesome pairing that where our future top 2nd line pairing for many Cups. Look at us now. No Ghost and a Shell of Sanheim and Meyers Duo.

We can't jump the gun to dismiss or anoint. York is too soon, now and still next year. We might as well put the Milk Crate Challenge as the defining reasoning on putting our eggs in our basket.

#No Bueno

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

RonJeremy is actually probably right that Nate Thompson was a mistake. But who takes Nate fricken Thompson at this point?

this is a signing I don't sweat. At. All. He's not making big $, he won't block a deserving player. 

Thompson is a pro. If he dresses he'll give you everything he has and will be effective in his limited minutes.

If he doesn't, he won't bitch, he'll be ready for when his name does get called. 

I think he's here to be another voice of accountability and be a guy that can play heavy and win faceoffs. 

If he's playing 3rd line C, get the lawyers, guns and money because the season has gone off the rails. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this is a signing I don't sweat. At. All. He's not making big $, he won't block a deserving player. 

Yeah, on the list of "things to worry about," Nate Thompson isn't on the top half.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this is a signing I don't sweat.

24 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah, on the list of "things to worry about," Nate Thompson isn't on the top half.

Completely agree with both of you.   Mojo--exactly on all counts.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I suggested NAK in an effort to get under the cap

The cap isn't an issue right now they go on the west coast trip they will take enough players to be able to dress someone if someone gets hurt/sick.

They will just play with 22 players for now is all. One less popcorn maker and they will be fine. Once they have banked enough cap space or an injury pops up they will be able to address it no worries here for me.

All they need to do is play good hockey the rest will take care of itself.

If not the cap will be the least of their worries and i hope they don't force Chuckles to make some kind of move to get them playing well again they may not like his moves.

This whole team from top to bottom need to play better. NAK i think has gotten the message and he has read the writing on the wall if you have ever watch his Nasty Knuckles pod cast you'd understand this kid is very smart and knows he got away from what made him so valuable and he plans on being a big key piece to the bottom 6 or he knows his stay might not be long.

I wish many others on the team knew this and knew what was at stake and how they can't afford to waste another chance.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Thompson is a pro. If he dresses he'll give you everything he has and will be effective in his limited minutes.

And if i need cap space we'll he is the guy i am waiving to make the room i need. If he is claimed oh well i would rather lose him than another piece on this roster. It sucks but it is business.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

Well it seems the Travis and most importantly the team get it. So they understand.

"A lot of changes. A lot of new faces. I think everyone's excited. I think we see a lot of good things in the moves that were made and gets us excited to get back to Philly. I know speaking with the other guys and the potential that we see. Chuck's done his job. Now it's up to us to come together as a group and show him the moves that he made and why he did them [were successful]," Sanheim said.

So now go get it done....if not the Axe man cometh!!!!

:PopcornSmiley2: