Couturier Extended - 8Y/$7.75M AAV

radoran

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This signing pleases me greatly.

14 is one of my favorites and is Mrs Mojo's favorite not named Carter Hart (whom she's hoping to be called son-in-law one day)

thanks for the reminder, Mojo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

So, the alternative is just let him walk next year? 

Playing Devils advocate here for a second.

He'll to the nah.

I'm trading him at the trade deadline for who knows a nice return...

...and maybe for his eventual replacement in a few years when this player in returns is ready.

You never know just saying...

:PopcornSmiley2:

Man they have came a long ways....

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds

Read-Couturier-Voracek

White-B. Schenn-Umberger

VandeVelde-Bellemare-Rinaldo

Schultz-Streit

Del Zotto-L. Schenn

Colaiacovo-MacDonald

Mason

Neuvy

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I wonder what this says about term/length of resigning G?  That must have been part of the reckoning.  

Meltzer speculating/reporting that Giroux is expected to take a pay cut to finish his career in Philly, providing stability for his family.

The number he had was in the 6-6.5 range.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

Meltzer speculating/reporting that Giroux is expected to take a pay cut to finish his career in Philly, providing stability for his family.

Rad: Thanks for the post. The hometown discount makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

Rad: Thanks for the post. The hometown discount makes sense. 

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I like the Coots signing and the Flyers should take the "C" off of Giroux and give it to Coots. As for resigning Giroux, if the Flyers aren't in the playoffs at the deadline try trading Claude to a contender. And if he wants to resign in Philly then offer him a 3 year deal at $6 million per year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Playing Devils advocate here for a second.

He'll to the nah.

I'm trading him at the trade deadline for who knows a nice return...

...and maybe for his eventual replacement in a few years when this player in returns is ready.

You never know just saying...

Yeah  i get that 

But at some point you have to create the window. I know you know this and you're doing the devil's advocate thing,  but for others: you have to create the window at some point. So what? You trade him at the deadline and get prospects or picks and kick the can 3-5 years. Just in time for Provorov and others to get paid, but you trade them because, by golly, you'll get prospects or picks and another 3-5 years....

We now have 5 years. Build, Chucky, build!

• Good Post 1

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah  i get that 

But at some point you have to create the window. I know you know this and you're doing the devil's advocate thing,  but for others: you have to create the window at some point. So what? You trade him at the deadline and get prospects or picks and kick the can 3-5 years. Just in time for Provorov and others to get paid, but you trade them because, by golly, you'll get prospects or picks and another 3-5 years....

We now have 5 years. Build, Chucky, build!

So that window is coming up?

10 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

$6M is not a discount; that would be market rate for a player Giroux's age putting up his numbers.

Of players 33 and older last year who scored as many or more points than Giroux, nobody made $6M. Marchand made $6.1M on a deal signed in 2017, Bergeron made $6.8M on a deal signed in 2014.

Of players that signed at 33+ who are in Giroux's points level, you have Joe Pavelski at $7M on deal signed in 2019.

$6M may not be much of a "discount" but it's not "market rate" assuming Giroux continues to produce at ~.8 ppg.

There's a better argument to be made that it's too much.

Not that it matters - the Flyers are going to re-sign Giroux barring a complete collapse this season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So that window is coming up?

One would think.   If not, management completely bungled an opportunity away.    That "if not" statement is at least even money from my vantage, but if not, it really doesn't matter whether we keep Coots or not.   Or anyone else for that matter.

But if you're perpetually leaving your best players go at 29/30 because you're not willing to stomach the cost of doing business, you'll be forever in the "foundational" stage of drafting/grooming prospects just so they can move on to an actual NHL franchise when they're fully grown and seasoned.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

$6M may not be much of a "discount" but it's not "market rate" assuming Giroux continues to produce at ~.8 ppg.

There's a better argument to be made that it's too much.

Agreed.

Edited by SCFlyguy

48 minutes ago, radoran said:

Not that it matters - the Flyers are going to re-sign Giroux barring a complete collapse this season.

Yep.

Chuckles has said this much "We want him here as long as he wants to be here..."

Is all you need to know.

Glancing at Risto well I would hope G leaves at least 500K on the table to go towards resigning Riskolaienien.

That is of course with expectations that the roll of the dice worked in the Flyers favor of him bringing some of what they were lacking and looking like it was a smart move.

If not well let's say I don't want to think about if it doesn't work out...

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup