Couturier Extended - 8Y/$7.75M AAV

radoran

On 8/27/2021 at 11:54 AM, mojo1917 said:

You want to be pessimistic about the team in 2027/28? today? 

some day I will pass on into the abyss. I know this depresses many of you, but hold your tears.

I will hold on to my Flyers pessimism until that day

On 8/27/2021 at 5:07 PM, mkscrewy said:

shouldn't we be griping that this is actually a disservice to Coots which now denies him the chance to win a Cup with another team?

it really doesn't. we will be able to trade him for a 6th round pick and second stint of Ghost, after he wins his cup with some other team

34 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i find it tough to believe this would happen

Sorry, just so I'm clear (migraine).  Is the opening window idea tough to believe or the "if it doesn't" part?

EDIT:  Disregard.  Read and responded before looking at the other notifications. Much clearer to me now.   

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

i clearly see the difference.

As for the point of Hayes strong arming the team, do you blame him? It isn't his fault they offered the contract. It's a business, right?

Sure. I don't hate Hayes. He's a dog f***er of a player who has a pretty good personality. I do hate his contract. 

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

My point is, that we shred management for every long term contract they sign, except if it's for a guy we like. If Hayes comes out and has a 30+ goal season and the team has a good playoff run, was he worth it? Or more specifically, should the Flyers happen to win a cup during his time here, will we still bitch about the length of the signing?

Sometimes a little tappy-tap on the brakes can relieve alot of angst

Sure again. But the closest Hayes has come to 30 was FIVE years ago, and it wasn't that close. And he's 29.

If he scores 70 goals, he's an absolute bargain. Not holding my breath though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

i clearly see the difference.

As for the point of Hayes strong arming the team, do you blame him? It isn't his fault they offered the contract. It's a business, right?

My point is, that we shred management for every long term contract they sign, except if it's for a guy we like. If Hayes comes out and has a 30+ goal season and the team has a good playoff run, was he worth it? Or more specifically, should the Flyers happen to win a cup during his time here, will we still bitch about the length of the signing?

Sometimes a little tappy-tap on the brakes can relieve alot of angst

The signings are measured by results. As I noted I didn't like the Voracek signing. Too much and too long. Had they done something other than won one playoff round in nine years it may have made a different analysis.

They didn't.

The question of Hayes is will a guy at 28 start producing better than he has. The track record on that isn't great, and the track record of 30/70 guys still being productive into their mid 30s is better.

Whenever I gripe about those things I always say I hope to be wrong. I'd be thrilled when I am

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Whenever I gripe about those things I always say I hope to be wrong. I'd be thrilled when I am

I'm never thrilled when I am, so I try hard to stay away from wrong.  Drives my wife nuts

If the signings are measured by results,  then isnt the negativity at the beginning of a contract a premature reaction. Shouldnt we wait until the end to figure out if we should have been pissed about it

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

If the signings are measured by results,  then isnt the negativity at the beginning of a contract a premature reaction. Shouldnt we wait until the end to figure out if we should have been pissed about it

You're adorable

Schitts Creek Awww GIF by CBC

I think your point about "players we like" (and why we like them) is applicable here.

Not all long term deals are bad. Crosby and Malkin have worked out for Pittsburgh. Jeff Carter worked out for the Kings...

@radoran

I personally don't give a rats ass about contracts and term. Players come and go. My only real investment in that part of this team, is the info I get from the good people on this forum, yourself included. I'm not saying I'm ignorant of it, or that I don't see the significance. I just don't really care. All I want is a team in the ice that either good enough to compete, or hungry enough to play thier asses off

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

@radoran

I personally don't give a rats ass about contracts and term. Players come and go. My only real investment in that part of this team, is the info I get from the good people on this forum, yourself included. I'm not saying I'm ignorant of it, or that I don't see the significance. I just don't really care. All I want is a team in the ice that either good enough to compete, or hungry enough to play thier asses off

I'm with you, kind of.

We general Philly fans (including you because I know you're both Flyers and Eagles) debated for seasons over "of they won the Stanley Cup/Super Bowl, would you take 10 years of losing" OR "would you prefer to be 'in it' every year?"

Even after the Super Bowl win, and despite having the time of my life at the parade, I'm not certain of the answer.  But when, because of term, a team sets itself up for the possibility/likelihood of"swing and miss" and ten years of suckage... I'm just nervous Nelly.

I don't know that that's what's happened here. I'm actually good with it.  But as painful as the Eagles are following the Super Bowl win, at least I have the memory of that ecstacy (the win, and the parade).  I can't imagine my disenchantment with the Eagles now if they had lost to New England.  I can't imagine its being more, but I think it would be.

All that to say I'm willing to not worry about amount and term,  but I need the near term success trade off.   As previous stated, I think we're at the "window opening" stage. If not, it's going to be awhile, and the Coots contact (among others) is not going to help.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I like the contract now, no question. In 2026 or 2027, we're not going to like this contract.

Without the last three years of the contract you don't get the first five. If the wheels fall off in season four there's a problem but I don't see a reason that has to happen

With a once again rising cap that $7.75M hit shouldn't be as onerous as it might appear now.

Couturier's a quality player who has signed two team-friendly deals and if nothing else I'm happy with that.

• Like 4

On 8/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, FD19372 said:

Sorry to rain on this "Yay, we re-signed Coots to a long term deal" parade, but his play will start to drop off somewhere in his 30s and we'll still be paying him. They could have used some of that money to improve the roster with other players in addition to Coots. Couturier is a good to great player, but this should have been around 5 years, not 8. Typical Flyers contract, and they wonder why they don't win a damned thing.

🙉   LA LA LA, can't hear you, lalalala

Blasphemy!  😆

• Like 3