Canes offer sheet Kotkaniemi

radoran

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

This can't be right, can it?  Are you sure?

I saw people on YouTube that made pretty convincing opposing arguments.   

Do your own research, sheeple!

Oh, wait, you said YouTube? Well, yeah, that's pretty convincing. This one time I watched a video all the way to the end and it showed me another video on the same topic that agreed with the one I had just watched so it was obviously true.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

Well, it's official... Kotkaniemi is a member of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Canadiens Pass on Kotkaniemi, Signs with Hurricanes (msn.com)

Hate to say it, but, good move on Marc Bergevin's part.
I really don't see the Canadiens competing for the Cup this year (they will be lucky to get into the playoffs in what looks like a tough Atlantic), so it actually benefits them to pick up the 1st and 3rd rounders as compensation.

Not like they were losing a Brayden Point, Brady Tkachuk, or Leon Draisaitl by letting Kotkaniemi slip over to the Canes.
The picks, along with the further maturation of the young guys they do have will help with their rebuild, retool, retouch....whatever they want to call it up there.

As for Jesperi himself...he gets a fresh start with an up tempo, fly by the seat of your pants Hurricanes team.
If he pans out for them, then its a win-win for Montreal and Carolina.

If not, then the Habs can finally say they won something, as the exchange of the picks for player (not to mention cap space saved) put them in the 'W' column here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If not, then the Habs can finally say they won something, as the exchange of the picks for player (not to mention cap space saved) put them in the 'W' column here.

I don't know if a 1st and a 3rd in the 20s will do as much for a rebuild, pending draft depth and shrewd picking.

If JK is the player Montreal thought he was at 3rd overall they lost.

We'll see ..

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

12 hours ago, radoran said:

I don't know if a 1st and a 3rd in the 20s will do as much for a rebuild, pending draft depth and shrewd picking.

If JK is the player Montreal thought he was at 3rd overall they lost.

We'll see ..

We will see indeed. That's the way it always is.

One thing is for sure: Kotkaniemi by himself, is not going to change the fortunes of the Canadiens and if he really is going to pan out, apparently that was not gonna happen with the Canadiens.

Furthermore, if the Habs really can't do anything with a 1st and 3rd (yes, even in the 20's), well then, they truly do have more problems than what is readily apparent.

As a division rival to my team, Montreal can wallow in the pits of mediocrity for all I care, but I still think given the current state of the team, being right up the cap, and not really in a position to contend, they did the right thing collecting picks (and trading for that good, young veteran Dvorak, who has experience toiling away with a mediocre cast) in order to make some kind of headway in building something longterm.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Math said:

Love the bitchin' regarding this move, but $6.1M is hell to much. The bunch of Jerks will regret it.

$6.1M is too much but it was needed to get the player.

Look at this as the first year of a multi year deal that will work out around $4-5M (depending on what he does) and it should be fine for the next 3-5 years

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 8:18 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Who and why are they jerks i have to ask????

this goes back to when the 'Canes started doing the "storm surge" stuff after games. 

an opposing player or coach called them a bunch of jerks for the celey's and the 'Canes embraced the insult and used it as a rally point.

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this goes back to when the 'Canes started doing the "storm surge" stuff after games. 

an opposing player or coach called them a bunch of jerks for the celey's and the 'Canes embraced the insult and used it as a rally point.

That came from Don Cherry and the Canes brilliantly capitalized on this on a marketing standpoint.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Oh yeah i forgot about that since Justin Williams retired....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So last night was Kotkaniemi's in Montréal. Without any surprise, this is how Habs hockey consumers reacted. Dumb, but what else could we expect...?

The perfect reaction came here:

And at the end of game, this:

The site was only available last night but basically they used a free app. creator from... Québec with the title "Did the Habs lose?" And Aho, scrolling down his cell phone saying "Yes !".

This is to pinpoint how brilliant the Canes' marketing/social media dept. is. They are keeping on teasing the Habs because they know Montréal fans are susceptible and will overreact everytime. Utimately giving Carolina visibility. And this is why they need in a small market like that while capitalizing with having a great team.

image.png

Edited by Math