Flyers 2021-22 Phantoms/Prospects info

OccamsRazor

31 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Not sure if he's actually considered a prospect at 26 but Hayden Hodgson was signed after having a decent season in LV.

Team summary displaying the cap space, roster size, signed contracts, and draft picks

Maybe since they have a need for center depth and he can't be called up on an AHL contract especially after the Ducks stole Maurice Richards trophy candidate Mayhew.

A different deck chair for the titanic is always welcome.

So from reports Jay O'brein needs lower body surgery and will likely return for one more season at BU.

That sucks.

But Flyers are trying to sign Ivan Fedotov and bring him over to start in LV with Ustimenko.

Felix Sandstrom tabbed to be Hart’s backup next season also.

See ya Martin Jones...

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So from reports Jay O'brein needs lower body surgery and will likely return for one more season at BU.

That sucks.

But Flyers are trying to sign Ivan Fedotov and bring him over to start in LV with Ustimenko.

Felix Sandstrom tabbed to be Hart’s backup next season also.

See ya Martin Jones...

:PopcornSmiley2:

Too bad about O'Brien, he was coming around pretty good. Of course he needs surgery. :no:

Fedotov? How in the F are they going to get him out?

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Too bad about O'Brien, he was coming around pretty good. Of course he needs surgery. :no:

Fedotov? How in the F are they going to get him out?

Great question he was at the Olympics for Russia so where there is a will there is a way.

Who would have ever thought the Flyers deepest position might be goalie.

Ersson and Fedotov should be in LV and Ustimenko will more than likely relegated to the ECHL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Great question he was at the Olympics for Russia so where there is a will there is a way.

Who would have ever thought the Flyers deepest position might be goalie.

Ersson and Fedotov should be in LV and Ustimenko will more than likely relegated to the ECHL.

It took having a goalie for a GM to realize, ya, it's an important position.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It took having a goalie for a GM to realize, ya, it's an important position.

The down side of Jay O'Brien going back for his senior year is if he don't like the competition in LV or Philly then all he has to do is wait till August 15th after the 2022-23 season and he can become a free agent and sign anywhere.

Wouldn't it sucks to spend all this time being developed by the Flyers and he just walks and signs with Hextall and the Penguins...

🤬

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The down side of Jay O'Brien going back for his senior year is if he don't like the competition in LV or Philly then all he has to do is wait till August 15th after the 2022-23 season and he can become a free agent and sign anywhere.

Wouldn't it sucks to spend all this time being developed by the Flyers and he just walks and signs with Hextall and the Penguins...

🤬

It's definitely the one thing I hate about drafting NCAA players. And it seems to be happening more and more.

edit : wasn't he in high school when drafted? Does that factor?

Edited by flyercanuck

55 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's definitely the one thing I hate about drafting NCAA players. And it seems to be happening more and more.

edit : wasn't he in high school when drafted? Does that factor?

I'm not sure. I know if you are drafted out of the USHL you can actually do this circumvent it this when you're even a junior.

I will have to look into the rules and see if they differ from high school.

Bobby Brink (Denver) and Noah Cates (Minnesota Duluth) go head to head on ESPNU at 4:00 pm today.

May the best man win.

Ronnie Attard (Western Michigan) will play Sunday ESPN2 at 5:00 pm.

Bobby Brink creates the turnover on the forecheck for the tying goal and Noah Cates and Minnesota Duluth are going home, Brink onto the Frozen Four.

Maybe we will hear soon that Cates signs with the Flyers...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Well that didn't take long. Nice for the Phantoms to add a former Captain.

Phantoms need all the help they can get.

Schmuck also knows that hextall was a superior judge of talent compared to him and Nature Boy. I'm sure we'll see a race to sign a bunch of Hextall guys and Schmuck and Nature Boy will let a number of their guys reenter the draft. 

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Schmuck also knows that hextall was a superior judge of talent compared to him and Nature Boy. I'm sure we'll see a race to sign a bunch of Hextall guys and Schmuck and Nature Boy will let a number of their guys reenter the draft. 

I don't know you just glance at Ron's last draft in 2018 and well you basically have Farebee.

I can't wait to see this kid on the Flyers!!!!

Chuck has only had two drafts.

1st York already on the Flyers

2nd Brink should win Hobey Baker and maybe National title will be signed once playoffs over

3rd Attard Still in it for the national title will be signed as soon as done with playoffs.

4th Millman Already on the Phantoms

1st Forester already singed his entry level

2nd Not sure when he will come over already set a record for a rookie in the SHL.

4th Wisdom already signed his entry level should be a Phantoms after this season.

5th Desnoyers this kid looks like Danny B with attitude will join Phantoms by next season.

6th McClennon might go back for another year of seasoning.

And well the 2021 draft is just way to young to discuss now but i think they have a few good pieces in this draft time will tell.

So from where i sit Chuck's drafting is very good. Now his free agency and trades leave a lot to be desired.

So April 7th

#1 Denver vs #1 Michigan 5 pm ESPN2

#2 Minnesota vs #1 Minnesota St. 8:30 pm ESPN2

Should be a very good Frozen Four 

So Flyers have two prospect still in the race.

Bobby Brink with Denver 

Bryce Brodzinski with Minnesota

Man the best man win.

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't know you just glance at Ron's last draft in 2018 and well you basically have Farebee.

Chuck has only had two drafts.

Well sure if you don't count O'Brien who's really starting to come around and was supposed to take awhile to get here...or Ersson who just came over from a good career in the SHL or Wylie who is 9th in scoring on a Phantoms team that Fletcher has somehow managed to make worse than the Flyers.

Chuck has had 3 drafts...he's basically traded away an entire draft to bring in a defenceman worse than the one he threw away to bring him in.

• Like 1

I would pump the brakes on "Chuck's drafting is very good" until one of Chuck's picks is a regular starter (let alone an all-star).

We were all drooling over Hextall's drafting just three years ago, so Minnesota Fletch has a way to go.

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I would pump the brakes on "Chuck's drafting is very good" until one of Chuck's picks is a regular starter (let alone an all-star).

We were all drooling over Hextall's drafting just three years ago, so Minnesota Fletch has a way to go.

truer words have not been typed here. 

German Rubstov...where have you gone?

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

@flyercanuck

And that is why i didn't count O'Brien and Ersson or even Wylie who was in the ECHL so it actually makes Ron's 2018 about as bad as it can get with only Farabee to show for it.

I get you guys hate Fletch but you guys are using two different ways to judge two different guys which just isn't fair. But whatever yall have an agenda.

Make Chuck look bad yall can ease up he can do it all by himself say what you want but his drafting is solid. His free agency and trades need a lot of work. Which none of us know if he was or wasn't forced to do some of this stuff by Homer.

I myself and just trying to fair is all. I like his drafting.

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

say what you want but his drafting is solid

Again, you are saying Hextall's 2018 draft hasn't worked out and you are giving Fletch credit for picks that haven't done a thing yet.

I'll bet you were doing the exact same thing in 2019 regarding Hextall's 2018 picks.

I will say this about Hextall's picks (and murder a sports metaphor): he banged a few doubles off the wall, but he didn't hit a single home run.

1 minute ago, SCFlyguy said:

Again, you are saying Hextall's 2018 draft hasn't worked out and you are giving Fletch credit for picks that haven't done a thing yet.

Yep i am you want to whine about that too??? I am allowed to post my opinion here to right??

Aren't you allowed to post everything that you think is wrong with Chuck??

Yes so i am allowed to point Hextall's missteps too. And have and will do the same for Chuck.

I am a Flyer fan and not a GM fan. Whatever it takes to win a Cup i want done.

4 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I'll bet you were doing the exact same thing in 2019 regarding Hextall's 2018 picks.

Sure i'm a Flyer fan so i was hoping some of those panned out. Still holding out hope that they do.

I am just trying to be fair. No agenda here with Hextall or Fletch. And as of right now the draft isn't looking good.

And if/when Chuck's doesn't look good i will say so as well. You guys hate Chuck and just want to point out all he has done wrong or will. Hey you have every right. Most of it is justified.

But as i said none of you guys every really point out anything he has done right and well seems you are all jaded and have your mind made up as soon as they announce the hiring.

And in the end Chuck could a complete disaster. But i  believe a lot of what he has done he was following orders. Just like you would too on your job...if you want it.

But as of March 2022 i like Chuck's drafts so far. You don't have to like that. Doesn't change my opinion.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I am trying my best to not have my orange shades on and give some of these moves time before making a judgement call on them.

You can do whatever you want i fought for this country so you could have an opinion.

You're welcome.

Carry on.

• Like 1

I'm not afraid to rip on Hextall. I hated the Jay O'Brien pick and I'm going to hate it even more when he's allowed to walk so that the Flyers can reacquire a 2nd round pick for him, which will probably dealt with some player to gain cap space. 

Other than O'Brien, Hextall always chose the safe player in all his drafts. I'm sure some will say Sanheim was a bit of a reach, but he was a relatively safe player that had a meteoric second half rise, similar to Derek Morris in his draft year. My issue with Hextall was that when he took risks, he took BAD risks. Like Adam Ginning for instance. WTF was Ron thinking there. He wasn't the NHL player type the Hextall selected. There was nothing about him that screamed modern defenseman. He was big, a so so skater, next to no puck handling skills, but was physical. It was like it was a nod to Clarke and Holmgren to keep them off his back. And then there's taking a guy like Pascal Laberge over someone like Alex DeBrincat. It reminded me of Ron's infamous quote of "I don't like goalscorers - I like hockey players" when asked why he wouldn't choose a shooter. 

As for Schmuck and Nature Boy, I've given the devils their due with regards to drafting. They've picked some good players. However, while selecting their players, they've also passed over good players who were further ahead in their development. For instance, in the Cam York draft, they had an opportunity to take Matthew Boldy, who would have been an ideal linemate with either Farabee or Konecny, in order to choose York. They got so fixated on a player that when a better player was available, they ignored the better player in order to draft the guy they wanted. Now, once again, that's not to say that Cam York is a bad player. He has all the tools to be a legitimate top pairing defender in the NHL. However, to not take the better player is inexcusable. It's things like that that drive me nuts about Schmuck and Nature Boy. If you have a player rated higher on your board, you always take the higher rated player. But they didn't. And that can also be said about the Tyson Foerster selection. There were other players rated ahead of him. Once again, not saying Foerster is a bad player because he's shown that he can put the puck in the net at the Major Junior and Minor Pro level, but there were better players available. That's my problem with Schmuck and Nature Boy - they get so focused on their guys, they get tunnel vision and they lose out on better players because Schmuck and Nature Boy are focused on need, not best player available.

Now, maybe I'm being too harsh here in my view on things, but best player available should always be used when you're making selections in the top 100. After that, then it becomes take a player by need because you might hit a home run in the later rounds. I agree with @SCFlyguy with regards to Hextall's drafts. They've been solid, off the wall doubles. I do think some of the players could have triples or home runs if the development environment, coaching and veteran mentorship was better. In terms of Schmuck's drafts, they've been big swings and while he's trying to improve the development environment and the use of stats (I'll give Schmuck that - he's at least attempted to correct the development process and buy more into stats-based selections), Schmuck still has a tendency to get in his own way of improving things. 

This 2022 draft will be the telling tale of what Schmuck does. If the Flyers end up with fourth or fifth, and say the top four are Wright, Cooley, Slafovsky and Nemec, does Schmuck draft a guy like Savoie, the best pure offensive talent on the board, or does he go after someone like Geekie, Lambert or Kembrell, guys who have size on Savoie, but they don't have the skill set Savoie has. That's where things are going to be telling with this group.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1