Flyers 2021-22 Phantoms/Prospects info

OccamsRazor

• 2 weeks later...

lol I love your persistence @OccamsRazor! but the odds of getting him out of Russia are probably not good. I have no idea but it seems like a bad time to ask Vlad for an emigration visa!

But I'm glad you're sharing the info. Do you happen to know - has he ever said he wants to be an NHL goaltender? I mean besides whatever he told the scouts in 2015. You have to wonder why he's still in Russia 7 years after he was drafted. Has he been playing this well all along (what you quoted) or maybe he's a late bloomer?

If you can flesh out the story a bit I'm sure we'd all be grateful. Aren't the Flyers fairly weak in goalie prospects? Maybe a Russian hotshot could help rebuild this wreck of a team (as long as he's nothing like Brzygalov). But with goalies it's hard to tell they're all pretty crazy.*

*usually in a good way though!

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

lol I love your persistence @OccamsRazor! but the odds of getting him out of Russia are probably not good. I have no idea but it seems like a bad time to ask Vlad for an emigration visa!

But I'm glad you're sharing the info. Do you happen to know - has he ever said he wants to be an NHL goaltender? I mean besides whatever he told the scouts in 2015. You have to wonder why he's still in Russia 7 years after he was drafted. Has he been playing this well all along (what you quoted) or maybe he's a late bloomer?

If you can flesh out the story a bit I'm sure we'd all be grateful. Aren't the Flyers fairly weak in goalie prospects? Maybe a Russian hotshot could help rebuild this wreck of a team (as long as he's nothing like Brzygalov). But with goalies it's hard to tell they're all pretty crazy.*

*usually in a good way though!

But why would HE be different than any other Russian NHL player or even draft prospect?

They all need a visa.

Remember he was a 7th round pick who was going to need some time to develop and it looks like he is ready.

As far as his story and why it took so long Appleyard would know better but if he wasn't a legit option to come over he wouldn't be giving us reports still on him.

You notice he isn't giving us any Denis Bodrov reports or Vorobyev updates.

The Isles Sorokin was drafted in 2014 and didn't play a NHL game till 6 years later.

The Rangers goalie was drafted in 2014 and didn't get a NHL game till 2019-20.

So maybe Russian take longer but I don't have an answer for you that wouldn't be guessing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So when do the Flyers sign this kid?? WTF are they waiting for get him on the Phantoms next year!

43 goals 81 points in 62 games i've seen enough give the man a contract.

Give him Sushko's slot even that kid hasn't done much of anything and will be 24 next season.

Make room for the 19 year old. No need to hold onto bottom 6 NHLers at best.

Flyers need guys who can find the twine....

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Pretty sure he's on the verge of getting the ELC.  If there's even a lick of competence in this front office, that is.  They have until June 1st or they lose his rights.

Well they are morons if they don't sign him - you couldn't ask for better production from a 6th round pick.

Phantoms can use all the help they can get they must get back to playoff hockey anything less is unacceptable...

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well they are morons if they don't sign him - you couldn't ask for better production from a 6th round pick.

Phantoms can use all the help they can get they must get back to playoff hockey anything less is unacceptable...

He'd be a nice fit with his linemate Matthew Savoie, wouldn't he?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He'd be a nice fit with his linemate Matthew Savoie, wouldn't he?

I would think so.

I can't ever tell what these morons are up too.

Seems he has earned the contract so why would he still be unsigned.

They have already enough guys who haven't made it.

Give him the chance to show if he is ready or not unless they would rather give a contract to some career AHLer or SHL guy like Sandin who hasn't shown anything.

On 5/3/2022 at 4:48 PM, FireDillabaugh said:

The visa isn't an issue.

Google "Russian hockey emigration" and there are concerns. For instance:

The Ukrainian embassy in Ottawa asked the Canadian government to stop issuing new work permits and travel visas to Russian athletes on March 2, according to TSN.

According to an article in the Canadian outlet The Sports Network (TSN), Kirkwood does not expect the U.S. government to revoke the visas of Russian players already in America “but there is a very real and valid concern about what could happen with new visas in the future.”

• 2 weeks later...

Ginning is fine to sign, but he is really hit or miss in my opinion. There are other players that seem to me more of a priority that seem to be slipping away. Some of them have been mentioned above. 

From the big club to the development of this team this front office has no clue what they are doing. 

2 hours ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Ginning is fine to sign, but he is really hit or miss in my opinion. There are other players that seem to me more of a priority that seem to be slipping away. Some of them have been mentioned above. 

From the big club to the development of this team this front office has no clue what they are doing. 

At worst I think he can help the Phantoms. At best he could be a #7 dman for the Flyers.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 11:03 AM, OccamsRazor said:

So when do the Flyers sign this kid?? WTF are they waiting for get him on the Phantoms next year!

43 goals 81 points in 62 games i've seen enough give the man a contract.

Give him Sushko's slot even that kid hasn't done much of anything and will be 24 next season.

Make room for the 19 year old. No need to hold onto bottom 6 NHLers at best.

Flyers need guys who can find the twine....

:hithead:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Just another bone head miss opportunity by the Flyers Front Office. McClennon could have been a great possible line mate to Savoie if they draft him, but they will probably F that up to. 

Just going to say this was his +2 year and his team ( Winnepeg) was a wagon.

Which of the smallish "not fast" guys would you rather keep?

Brink or him?

The team is already lacking speed, for me, if a guy is going to be smallish I want him to be a water bug and McClennon isn't one.

It's easy to pile on the Fletcher but I'll give you a dollar if McClennon comes back to haunt the Flyers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Have a feeling this is all about his size, unfortunately.  Always possible to find a spot for youth that has skill and can finish.  So, the bs propaganda about it being because their youth is wing heavy is just that.  BS.

It's what leads me to believe that Chuck will screw up the draft, as well, and not select Savoie when he's there at 5, simply because of his size.  Really hope I'm wrong.  But, I just don't see this incompetence suddenly going away when their time comes to select at 5.

In fact, that's exactly what he is.  A player, like Savoie, that doesn't stop his feet.  Makes things happen instead of waiting for things to happen.  A guy that uses his speed, hockey IQ, and skill to overcome his size in his game.  Speed is one of his strong suits of his game, and many seem to believe he can be an even better skater, and have better acceleration than he already has.

I wouldn't be all surprised if Chuck does not select Savoie because of his 5'9" size. I honest feel he is going to select the Czech defender in Jiricek which will get many in an uproar but he has substantial size, and an explosive skater and has some offensive potential as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Unfortunately, I think you are probably right.  Especially after they drop the ball on this McClennon situation.

But, after seeing him in the 4 games he played at the Worlds, I'm not impressed with Jiricek at all.  And then, for him to only get 1 minute of ice time in his 5th and last game played for Czechia is one HUGE red flag.  He either said the wrong thing to the coaching staff, or his lazy play and poor decision making made that coaching staff realize they need to scratch him.  Either way, just a big red flag, imo.  And, as I said before, it's not like Czechia's defense was full of studs that made it hard for him to find a spot in the lineup.  He "should" have been their best dman on that roster.  He was FAR from that in the 4 games he played in.

I get that, but 4 games isn't a huge amount to determine what he is actually capable of. There is a reason he is an Elite prospect and the scouts have him ranked as one of the top two defencemen in the draft. He must have done something right along the way. He is only 18 years old and I am not going to give up on him for 4 games. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Yes.  However, what the Worlds mean is that it's 4 games against NHL players.  And, the games played there are a MUCH, MUCH better judgement of a player's ability to adapt to an NHL style than any kind of European league like the Czechia league he played in to get that ranking.

Still he is only 18 years old. I have to give him more of a shot to develope. Hronek and Kempny were on that team weren't they? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Yes.  And neither of them are even close to the projection that Jiricek is "supposed" to be.  You've watched those two play in the NHL, right?  18 years old or not, if Jiricek was the player he's projected to be, and was willing to work in those Worlds, he should have been Czechia's best dman.  By far.  And, the fact is, he was so very far from being that.  And, it's just a big red flag to me for taking him at 5.  If Chuck-in-charge trades down a bit and takes him, that's one thing.  But, I believe there will be other talent there at 5, if they don't decide to take Savoie or he's not there, that should be taken at that point over Jiricek.  If you watched Nemec play on Slovakia, that's a guy that's deserved of his top 3 projection.  He showed that, against NHL talent.

I agree.  He'll need time to develop.  But, from the looks of it, he'll need a lot of time to develop.  And, I question whether that's a player that's a valid pick at 5 in this draft.  I have a bad feeling it will just be another Woywitka type selection, being lured in by his size and projection.  And, being a projection he's never able to live up to.

First, I don't believe Nemec will be available at #5 when Philadelphia picks. I then see the writing on the wall with Chuck and his thing for the smaller staured players. So Savoie will be passed over. Whether they move down to get a 2nd round selection which honestly I hope they do because I believe there is a lot of talent in this draft and the more pick the better, I think that would be the best move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

In fact, that's exactly what he is.  A player, like Savoie, that doesn't stop his feet.  Makes things happen instead of waiting for things to happen.  A guy that uses his speed, hockey IQ, and skill to overcome his size in his game.  Speed is one of his strong suits of his game, and many seem to believe he can be an even better skater, and have better acceleration than he already has.

Savoie has, according everyone but Corey Pronman, better than average NHL speed. McClennon does not, he isn't a burner and he's little, maybe he has a great motor. Fine.

There is a better version of that kind of player in Desnoyers in the system.

If Connor plays 25 NHL games I'll give you a dollar too.

Plus, we have Brink, i thought he looked a half step slow at the end of the season. I thought he had good instincts though; and i think between him and McClennon i take him all day everyday.  I don't want two smallish "skating could be better" players.

Watching EDM v COL -highlights how important skating and speed are going to be in the league.

On the list of Fletcher's follies "not offering McClennon an ELC" is pretty far down my list. Maybe not even on the first page.

• Like 1

I would like to mention the 2020 1st round Flyers selection (23rd overall) Tyson Foerster. I think we all can realize the Flyers are in need of scoring and this kid is someone who seems to have to knack for just that.  

He also has some size and can play Center or Wing.

I guess my question to all of you is do you think he has any chance of cracking the Flyers 2022-23 roster that is in need of scoring and giving this kid a shot? 

I think he just might be worth a shot. 

This past 2021-22 year in 13 games for the OHL Barrie Colts he netted 6 goals and 5 helpers. 

In 2019-20 for the same Barrie Colts in 62 gameshe had 36 goals and 44 assists. 

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

It was a big risk taking him at 23 in that draft, as he was projected to be more of a middle to late second round pick at the time.  He's shown his skill at the OHL level.  That hasn't really translated to the AHL level, yet anyway.  But, that was obviously on a poor team with an awful coaching staff that just doesn't have the competence to help and teach a young player like Tyson.

There were questions about his skating...imagine that. 

I don't think I'd call picking him @ . 

23 a big risk though.

I wonder what scouts see in a "not good skater " that makes them think the issue can be fixed or helped with coaching/work. 

Tyson played pretty well in the weird COVID AHL season.

Then he got hurt and I think got hurt again early this season after a meh start, once he recovered he was sent back to Barrie.

The Phantoms were such a **** show he wasn't going help there or his development in LHV.

• Like 1