Wild bringing back Koivu?

bbgarnett

• bbgarnett changed the title to Wild bringing back Koivu?

From what I’ve heard, he’s not the greatest teacher. Where Matt Cullen would go out of his way to talk to younger players and give them tips and pointers, Koivu wouldn’t reach out to the younger players. If they went to him, he’d talk to them. But he wouldn’t go out of his way for them. 

Maybe they’ll make him a European scout. Or some kind of hockey ambassador or something.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

From what I’ve heard, he’s not the greatest teacher. Where Matt Cullen would go out of his way to talk to younger players and give them tips and pointers, Koivu wouldn’t reach out to the younger players. If they went to him, he’d talk to them. But he wouldn’t go out of his way for them. 

Maybe they’ll make him a European scout. Or some kind of hockey ambassador or something.

I'm so not surprised by this.  I never understood the lionizing of this player.  They talk about how hard he worked, etc but he never seemed to think about much more than himself.  

I wouldn't bring him back.  You wanted to change culture...you purged it of the folks you felt were counter to what you create.  Why bring that back?  What's his message going to be?  Rookies...know your place?  Support the veteran players, defer to them?  That's exactly the opposite message from what you want for a team that will be giving more responsibility and ice time to younger players.  

But I guess the organization just feels compelled to pay him more money after an way overpaid career.  He must have some dirt on some people still in the organization...or the organization just can't pass up that cheesy story.  Will we sign him to a 1-day contract so he can 'retire' a member of the Wild too?  (yawn)

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 3