Seattle Kraken Season 21/22

Brewin Flames

Game # 81

Seattle 3 SJS 0

Gourde, Larsson give Kraken 3-0 win in final home game

By AP
Updated: 3 hours ago

SEATTLE -- — Yanni Gourde and Adam Larsson scored in the first period to help Seattle a 3-0 win over the San Jose Sharks in the Kraken's final home game of the season on Friday night.

Victor Rask scored an empty-net goal in the final minute and Chris Driedger had 24 saves for his first shutout of the season — the Kraken's third.

“The Seattle fans came out. That’s maybe the loudest I’ve heard this building,” Driedger said. “Coming out with the building going crazy like it was, was pretty special. And to send it off at home to finish off the year is pretty cool.”

It was the final game of the season for San Jose and the last home game for Seattle, two teams who were well out of the playoff hunt.

Although Seattle has had a disappointing inaugural season — and the third-worst record in the NHL — the home crowd was in a celebratory mood. Driedger made sure the fans got a positive end to the year, tallying the first shutout for the Kraken at home.

“Definitely when you go out for the third period, it’s on the back of your mind. But you just try and play and make the next save,” Driedger said. “I didn’t want to count my chickens before they hatch in this situation, but it was nice to get it done.”

The Kraken also gave the fans early reasons to cheer, taking a 2-0 lead in the first period.

Gourde netted his 21st goal from the top of the right circle. Adam Larsson scored the second goal on a slap shot from the top of the left circle with 1½ minutes to play in the period. It was Larsson’s 25th point of the season, setting a career high.

“I think we came out of the gate pretty well. The first period was excellent,” Gourde said. “Overall it was a great game for us and I’m super happy with the result.”

Seattle rookie Matty Beniers earned an assist on Larsson’s goal, giving him at least one point in eight of his nine career games, including all five home games.

San Jose’s closest scoring chance came on a power play with about nine minutes to go in the second period, when Brent Burns’ shot bounced off the crossbar.

“Those are pivotal moments in the game, and we just couldn’t get it done today. I think you could probably see, it’s not secret there wasn’t a lot of guys who were sharp,” Sharks coach Bob Boughner said. “Tonight was a team that I thought looked extremely tired and did not have a lot in the tank, and that’s what happens.”

CELEBRATING THE SEASON

After the game, the Seattle players came back onto the ice for a post-game celebration, including an awards ceremony. Jared McCann was named the team MVP and Gourde was named the fan favorite.

“If you look at the atmosphere out there, before the game, throughout the game, and even after — I don’t think anybody left before we came back out for the presentations and the awards,” Seattle coach Dave Hakstol said. “We’ve talked a lot about working to build the foundation in a lot of different areas. For sure, that connection with our city, our community, our fans is a real important one.”

NOTES

The Kraken won three of the four meetings between the teams. San Jose is the only team Seattle beat three times. …

Larsson is the eighth Kraken player to reach a career high in points, joining Will Borgen, Ryan Donato, Morgan Geekie, Karson Kuhlman, Kole Lind, Jared McCann and Carson Soucy. …

This is the third straight season the Sharks have missed the playoffs, the longest stretch in franchise history.

Game # 82

Seattle 3  Jets 4

Connor scores 47th, Jets rally for 4-3 win

ByAP
22 minutes ago

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- — Kyle Connor scored his 47th goal of the season at 9:05 of the third period to rally the Winnipeg Jets to a season-ending 4-3 win over the Seattle Kraken on Sunday.

Morgan Barron, Blake Wheeler and Dominic Toninato also scored for Winnipeg (39-32-11), which missed the playoffs but finished the season with a perfect four-game homestand. Eric Comrie made 27 saves.

Alex Wennberg had a goal and an assist for Seattle (27-49-6), and Daniel Sprong and Riley Sheahan also scored. Chris Driedger stopped 23 shots.

The game was rescheduled following a storm in Winnipeg last month. It was the only one on the schedule and came two days after the rest of the league wrapped up the regular season.

Winnipeg led 1-0 after the first but Seattle went ahead 3-1 entering the third.

Wenneberg began the Kraken's scoring with his 11th of the season 22 seconds into a power play at 5:55 of the second.

Sprong made it 2-1 at 12:24 with a shot that beat Comrie to the glove side. Sheahan’s goal followed 55 seconds later for a two-goal lead.

Winnipeg then broke through with three goals early in the third.

Jets center Paul Stastny recorded his 800th career point when he won a faceoff and got the puck back to Wheeler, who sent a one-timer past Driedger at 4:49. It marked the fourth straight game that Wheeler had scored.

Toninato tied it 3-3 at 7:16, with Barron earning an assist.

Connor then got the go-ahead goal less than two minutes later.

Barron scored his second goal of the season 3:47 into the game to give the Jets the 1-0 lead.

Edited by Brewin Flames