Jump to content

Kirill Kaprizov signs 5-Year, $45 Million Deal


Recommended Posts

On 9/22/2021 at 3:56 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Sign Kirill Kaprizov to 5-year, $45 million deal and more Wild news

 

I share my thoughts on the deal and other Wild news.  I really don't get the full no trade the last two years.  Stupid and too much money.  Enjoy and discuss.

The Wild organization repeating it's own blatant errors from time to time with these anchor contracts even if that you-know-who schmuck is no longer with the team.

 

Too much money and years cemented on a seemingly selfish player who's even not fully committed to the team to begin with.

 

First he won't sign and then he demands two years worth of NTC. To be or not to be.

 

A very bad deal which most likely will haunt the Wild, like it did in the case of Parise and Suter. 

 

Nice job Wild of ensuring to stay in the path of failure for a decade and counting.👍

 

You can't make this **** up. Your turn, @rottenrefs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

No turn soon for rottenrefs. Parise and Kaprizov are absolutely different players with a different achievements in their careers. For these money Kaprizov will play like a lion. Parise was not a lion for this team. Even Guerin agreed Kaprizov is the worth of money they pay to him after so much attention is having team after his arrival last season.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I could live with the money side of the equation, but to let Kap control his destiny with the NTC... That's risky for the Wild.

 

If he fails, we paid too much.

If he succeeds, he could just walk after year five, Gaborik style.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alexandron said:

No turn soon for rottenrefs. Parise and Kaprizov are absolutely different players with a different achievements in their careers. For these money Kaprizov will play like a lion. Parise was not a lion for this team. Even Guerin agreed Kaprizov is the worth of money they pay to him after so much attention is having team after his arrival last season.

I was comparing their contracts. Both risky at the time of signing, no denying of that.

 

Lion? We'll see. Last season he had something to prove. In the upcoming season, who knows. If the Wild win more in the regular season than last year, it was an ok move. If the Wild have a deep run, you could argue it was an excellent move. The time span is short though; the Wild have to get some results in the next two seasons, otherwise they're screwed.

 

Guerin agreed? It would've been a real marketing failure to express contrary feelings right after the signing. Guerin: "I mean, he's a nice guy but not really worth the money." Helluva way to motivate a player. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guerin was interviewed in Judd's Hockey Show: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLmh1YmJhcmRwb2RjYXN0cy5jb20vMTUwMGVzcG4vcG9kY2FzdC9NYXR0QW5kSnVkZHNIb2NrZXlBZHZlbnR1cmU/episode/M2NiZTVhNWYtMjE4NS00OWJmLWE2ZDYtY2IwOGIzNWMyMjM5?sa=X&ved=0CAYQkfYCahcKEwjImNWc-ZnzAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAg&hl=en-FI

 

I guess Guerin is just very confident he can keep Kap.

 

It is what it is, and we just have to hope Guerin's right. If he is not, this decision will probably eventually end up costing him his job as a GM.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Guerin was interviewed in Judd's Hockey Show: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLmh1YmJhcmRwb2RjYXN0cy5jb20vMTUwMGVzcG4vcG9kY2FzdC9NYXR0QW5kSnVkZHNIb2NrZXlBZHZlbnR1cmU/episode/M2NiZTVhNWYtMjE4NS00OWJmLWE2ZDYtY2IwOGIzNWMyMjM5?sa=X&ved=0CAYQkfYCahcKEwjImNWc-ZnzAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAg&hl=en-FI

 

I guess Guerin is just very confident he can keep Kap.

 

It is what it is, and we just have to hope Guerin's right. If he is not, this decision will probably eventually end up costing him his job as a GM.

Thanks Lynxrattle. Nice interview with Guerin. It seems he is confident in everything he is doing for the team's success. 

Interesting, that Russian hockey media talking a lot about this contract; pluses and minuses, but they predict very high interest and attention to our team in the world. They put him on a 6th place among all NHL Russian players after Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Ovechkin,Panarin,Malkin, but his rating could be higher in a future. Their hockey media sadly said only one thing that Kirill does not like to give an interviews to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks Lynxrattle. Nice interview with Guerin. It seems he is confident in everything he is doing for the team's success. 

Interesting, that Russian hockey media talking a lot about this contract; pluses and minuses, but they predict very high interest and attention to our team in the world. They put him on a 6th place among all NHL Russian players after Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Ovechkin,Panarin,Malkin, but his rating could be higher in a future. Their hockey media sadly said only one thing that Kirill does not like to give an interviews to them.

Alex, who is "they"? IMO that's some list "they" put him on the 6th place. Vasilevskiy is the least experienced of those 6 and to this date he's played 302 games and won both Vezina and Conn Smythe Trophy. IMHO Kaprizov's cinderella run under extraordinary circumstandes is getting way too much appreciation.

 

I wonder who was right behind Kirill in that list?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

Alex, who is "they"? IMO that's some list "they" put him on the 6th place. Vasilevskiy is the least experienced of those 6 and to this date he's played 302 games and won both Vezina and Conn Smythe Trophy. IMHO Kaprizov's cinderella run under extraordinary circumstandes is getting way too much appreciation.

 

I wonder who was right behind Kirill in that list?

I was listening few Russian hockey channels. You are right they are giving more appreciation to him. It was a discussion who is on a 6th place Kaprizov or Svechnikov from Carolina? And they put Kaprizov, and Svechnikov is on a 7th place. The rest of other Russian players having less interest to their media. They think Kaprizov did more for the Russian hockey by winning Olympic gold after placing GWG in OT and winning a Gagarin Cup with CSKA, Moscow. And also he won a NHL Calder trophy last year, but Svechnikov was not able to do that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, Russian hockey channels.  What does that have to do with the NHL?  I don't care if he put up Gretzky-like numbers in the #KHL or won 5-6 Gagarin Cups.  You don't pay him Brayden Point money with less than 60 NHL games to his credit.  The no trade the last two years was stupid.  

 

Guerin's confident they can keep him long term.  Wonderful, what did you expect him to say?  "Oh Wild fans, better enjoy these 5 years because he's gone after that?!?!"  Of course they're going to spin that this one worked out real well.  

 

The truth is the team threw the big money on the table right away and then had no way of really reeling it back.  Kaprizov wanted a 3-year deal, the Wild wanted an 8-year deal.  But yea, he better put up big points otherwise he deserves a lot of criticism and so does Guerin.  

 

He better put up 40 this year for $9 million a season...no excuses.  He's being paid elite money, he better produce like it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He better put up 40 this year for $9 million a season...no excuses.  He's being paid elite money, he better produce like it.  

 

Panarin makes $2.6M a year more and has never scored 40.

 

If you're setting those sorts of expectations you've set the player up to have already failed.

 

Kaprizov needs to be an 80 point player. But any player needs linemates to be able to produce.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprisingly, they do have a NHL Russian hockey channel, Kubrick Stanley channel and some other channels, which I was able to watch recently on YouTube mainly because of Kaprizov's contract. We have a lot of NHL Russian players and drafted prospects(practically most NHL teams have it) which were presented on their tables. They do have an experienced experts who played before in NHL or were closely related to NHL and they do detailed discussions/analysis about NHL Russian players; about their progress; their weaknesses; their injuries; their future in NHL or no future at all. Regarding Kaprizov - the main question was Why he wanted only 3 years deal with Wild and not 8 years? After an agreement finally contract was signed in between - on 5 years.  The answer was very simple Kaprizov really wants to be a member of Triple Gold Club during his career. So far he does not see that with a Wild club. Besides the only Canadian team for other teams extremely difficult to get an Olympic Gold, which happens once in 4 years. Kaprizov already has it, but still he is going to help his team to get it again, because Ovechkin, Malkin and Kucherov are going to be a part of Russian Olympic team next year and who are also pretending for a Triple Gold Club member as well in their careers. As a part of Wild team Kaprizov will have a chance to get a gold at the World Championship with a Russian team  during 3-5 years. Their experts were saying if Guerin wants that Kaprizov will stay more than 3-5 years, then he needs tremendously to improve our team with real stars. Without that Kaprizov will go to a better team to receive a Stanley Cup title. So far Russian experts predicting 73% failure in a nearest future for the Wild team to get a Stanley Cup with a current roster. Probably, Kaprizov will help to move the team to the higher playoffs level, but that is it. Team needs more stars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, radoran said:

 

Panarin makes $2.6M a year more and has never scored 40.

 

If you're setting those sorts of expectations you've set the player up to have already failed.

 

Kaprizov needs to be an 80 point player. But any player needs linemates to be able to produce.

 

He had 27 in 55 games.  I don't think 40 in 82 is all that unreasonable expectation and like I said, he's making $9 million a season.  So its up to him to produce to that expectation whether you think its reasonable or not.  He wanted elite money, now we expect elite production...linemates were not optimal last year.  I'd say get used to it.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

 

He had 27 in 55 games.  I don't think 40 in 82 is all that unreasonable expectation and like I said, he's making $9 million a season.  So its up to him to produce to that expectation whether you think its reasonable or not.  He wanted elite money, now we expect elite production...linemates were not optimal last year.  I'd say get used to it.  

 

I said he's got to be an 80+ point player. That's not saying he doesn't have to produce.

 

I'm saying setting an arbitrary bar like 40 goals is setting yourself up for disappointment before the season even starts.

 

I try to be pleasantly surprised, not horribly disappointed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it comes down to a 3 year deal.

 

By the deadline of 2023-24 he will make a nice haul hopefully.

 

It's no one fault but his own. He has till then to change my mind in my eyes.

 

If anything you hope he is a super star so he brings a better return.

 

A lot can change by the deadline of 2023-24. But a few pieces back might be best.

 

:console:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, radoran said:

 

I said he's got to be an 80+ point player. That's not saying he doesn't have to produce.

 

I'm saying setting an arbitrary bar like 40 goals is setting yourself up for disappointment before the season even starts.

 

I try to be pleasantly surprised, not horribly disappointed.

 

I want a minimum of 40 goals.  I want 80 points or more.  I am not going to expect any less.  The guy is getting big money, he's got to accept the pressure that comes with it and the criticism if he doesn't meet those expectations.  

 

My disappointment is irrelevant, but we should demand more now.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

With that kind of money 35 goals is a minimum expectation with 80 to 85 points to go along with.

 

Considering Guerin's decision actions speak louder than words. Giving the NTC is totally crazy - except if he really believes the Wild can be developed to a point that Kap might be tempted to stay. I hope he's right of course, but I'd say the Russian NHL enthusiasts with their 73 percent prediction of failure is pretty realistic ☹

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2021 at 11:40 PM, Alexandron said:

I was listening few Russian hockey channels. You are right they are giving more appreciation to him. It was a discussion who is on a 6th place Kaprizov or Svechnikov from Carolina? And they put Kaprizov, and Svechnikov is on a 7th place. The rest of other Russian players having less interest to their media. They think Kaprizov did more for the Russian hockey by winning Olympic gold after placing GWG in OT and winning a Gagarin Cup with CSKA, Moscow. And also he won a NHL Calder trophy last year, but Svechnikov was not able to do that. 

Svechnikov did enter the league as an 18 y old kid, Kaprizov was 23. That's a pretty big difference. Will Svechnikov make as many headlines as Kaprizov in two years, I don't know but the difference between those two IMO isn't really that big despite Kaprizov's awesome rookie season.

I'm sure you and me and the Russian hockey channels will be much wiser after the upcoming season. I'm thinking Kaprizov will have his hands full of keeping Andrei behind him in that pecking order rather than surpassing any of those guys above him. 

 

I guess it's pretty clear already but I really, really like Svechnikov as a player. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Svechnikov did enter the league as an 18 y old kid, Kaprizov was 23. That's a pretty big difference. Will Svechnikov make as many headlines as Kaprizov in two years, I don't know but the difference between those two IMO isn't really that big despite Kaprizov's awesome rookie season.

I'm sure you and me and the Russian hockey channels will be much wiser after the upcoming season. I'm thinking Kaprizov will have his hands full of keeping Andrei behind him in that pecking order rather than surpassing any of those guys above him. 

 

I guess it's pretty clear already but I really, really like Svechnikov as a player. 

Me too. I like Svechnikov a lot since he was playing in OHL together with our former prospect Dmitri Sokolov in one line. Sokolov had in that season 97 points. Even had more  points than Svechnikov had. Carolina gave a chance to play to Svechnikov at age 18 in the big club, but Wild was afraid to give one single game to Sokolov in 4 years and did not signed extension contract with him this year. Now Sokolov is playing at VHL (Supreme Hockey League)for Wings of Omsk and having already 5 points(3 goals;2 assists) in 4 games. In my opinion as well as my observations, a lot depending from a coach too for the future player career. He can or raise the player's mentality and interest to improve his talent or simply to ruin it. That happened with Sokolov. 

Regarding to Kaprizov, he will try to show a better results than Svechnikov despite of unusual contract he signed. For the 1st time in the Wild history the player will have zero bonuses for his extra points; extra goals; extra assists; extra achievements during 5 seasons. It is a huge difference between Panarin contract as well as Svechnikov contract to Kaprizov contract. And we are expecting 40 goals; 100 points out of Kaprizov? I even do not remember any NHL player who had zero bonuses in his contract for his extra work. I do think that stimulating a player a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I do think that stimulating a player a lot. 

Sorry, I did not check well my text before placing it.

It should be - I do think that is not stimulating any player a lot.

 

 

 

Edited by Alexandron
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...