Wild Fans Speak: 2021-22 Pre-Season Edition

CreaseAndAssist

Wild Fans Speak: 2021-22 Pre-Season Edition - Part 1 of 3

Its that time of year again, where I ask 7 fans their thoughts on the upcoming Minnesota Wild season.  This year I also included the results of some fan polls I had on Twitter about a month ago and you can see how they they answered as well.  People certainly seemed to have their opinions and views and it was another fun article to put together.  I will post the next one in a few days.  Check it out and discuss!  

• Like 3

I agree with what they said,Parise and Suter needed to be bought out and while I felt Parise would be was shocked at Suter inclusion. Also that price for Eichel is ridiculous and under no circumstances should we mortgage the future for him. His injury and or potential surgery is way to risky to trade Boldy, Rossi and 2 1st's. In the end I think the right decisions were made. Obviously could make the case for keeping Suter and I do think he played well in the playoffs but the quicker we closed the country club the better. 

• Like 2

I always look forward to these article. I especially like the inclusion of DJ Ricky. I find the views outside the Wild fanbase informative. Sometimes they confirm what we've thought all along. Other times it shows we do look at things through rose-colored glasses. I wasn't surprised by the Parise buyout, because he just couldn't keep up anymore, and I think he wore out his welcome with the coaching staff. Suter I was more surprised at, because of the two Wonder Twins, I felt he kept up his end of the bargain. So the only reason I could see in cutting him loose was that the country club rumors were true and the GM wanted to clean house. I'm glad the Wild stayed away from Eichel. They just got rid of two prima donnas, and now let's bring in another one? Pass. I'm actually looking forward to seeing some games this year with a team of younger players. If they could just fix that GD powerless play...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I always look forward to these article. I especially like the inclusion of DJ Ricky. I find the views outside the Wild fanbase informative. Sometimes they confirm what we've thought all along. Other times it shows we do look at things through rose-colored glasses. I wasn't surprised by the Parise buyout, because he just couldn't keep up anymore, and I think he wore out his welcome with the coaching staff. Suter I was more surprised at, because of the two Wonder Twins, I felt he kept up his end of the bargain. So the only reason I could see in cutting him loose was that the country club rumors were true and the GM wanted to clean house. I'm glad the Wild stayed away from Eichel. They just got rid of two prima donnas, and now let's bring in another one? Pass. I'm actually looking forward to seeing some games this year with a team of younger players. If they could just fix that GD powerless play...

I am sure @DJ Ricky will appreciate the praise!  I am glad you look forward to reading these articles, I certainly look forward to gathering up their responses each year.  I think its good to have Ricky's perspective to get at least one opinion outside the Minnesota Wild echo chamber.  

I have to admit, hearing that Suter was ambushed by the news brought a big smile to my face.  Clearly Wild GM Bill Guerin didn't have any illusions about either of them anymore.  I thought Souhan's piece on how he didn't thank either #11 for #20 for their leadership was very telling and a keen observation on his part.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks a lot. I seem to be thinking on the same lines, good riddance to 11/20 and no to Eichel without a major reduction in the price asked - and even then pretty reluctant to trade for him. I'm sure the next articles have very different views on where we are going, will there be any success, how will Fiala, Boldy and Kap turn out, etc. I'm looking forward to it 🏒

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:24 PM, IllaZilla said:

I'm glad the Wild stayed away from Eichel. They just got rid of two prima donnas, and now let's bring in another one? Pass. I'm actually looking forward to seeing some games this year with a team of younger players. If they could just fix that GD powerless play...

Agreed !! 
Had the Wild/Guerin sent Boldy and Rossi etc+ for Eichel, I may have sat out this season in disgust.
That's a Fletcher move imo and would go against the "Younger-Faster" plan by Guerin.
I too want to see a young group gain chemistry together and see what happens, Not another 'F'n All-Star'.

Great write up, Always look forward to these groups and including other teams' fans. :) 

• Like 1

Wild Fans Speak: 2021-22 Pre-Season Edition: Part 2 of 3

This article focuses more on the players signed in the off-season as well as the new contracts doled out and what it means for the team's future both short term and long term.  With Kaprizov taking his sweet ol' time to sign with the club I actually sent out the question before that deal had been finished.  Check out what the panel had to say!  

• Like 3

Another great article. 2 things. First is Ricky thinks we signed Marcus Johansson as forward depth this off season. 2nd and assuming these questions or some of them were asked before KK signed? Since Jodi was talking about KK being unsigned. 

• Like 1

There's so many "if everything goes along the plan" things now:

1. If the old d-men we signed won't lose their legs yet,

2. If the youngsters Boldy, Rossi, Addison prove themselves to be the real deal,

3. If Talbot keeps playing as well as he did last season, despite his history and age, and if Kahkonen shows the beatings he suffered were just an anomaly,

4. If Fiala, despite being an obviously driven guy, decides to forgive and forget the wall flower treatment he was given by the organisation,

5. And if Kap doesn't suffer a sophomore slump,

Then we might be competent. Otherwise it might be tough going.

Personally I'd like O'Rourke to get a chance to play a couple of games for the Wild already this season.

Anyways, I'm just thrilled to see some hockey again, and I guess with the arena packed again. Be it a bad season or a good season, I'm sure the fans will be treated with some excellent hockey highlights to remember.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

2. If the youngsters Boldy, Rossi, Addison prove themselves to be the real deal,

3. If Talbot keeps playing as well as he did last season, despite his history and age, and if Kahkonen shows the beatings he suffered were just an anomaly,

4. If Fiala, despite being an obviously driven guy, decides to forgive and forget the wall flower treatment he was given by the organisation,

Personally I'd like O'Rourke to get a chance to play a couple of games for the Wild already this season.

Anyways, I'm just thrilled to see some hockey again, and I guess with the arena packed again. Be it a bad season or a good season, I'm sure the fans will be treated with some excellent hockey highlights to remember.

All legitimate concerns. Well done. Just drop the puck and see what happens 

Edited by Jimtown guy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Me too. I am also just trilled to see some hockey out of our team. I am sure arena will be packed again like it was packed last Saturday (September 25th) our soccer arena for the Minnesota United FC team (single professional soccer team in Minnesota). We had 19,190 fans on that day out of 21,500 seat soccer-specific Allianz Field stadium. I was there. Game was fantastic. We won it with a score 2:0 against Houston Dynamo team. Actually one goal was placed by the nice player from Finland Robin Lod. 😉

Their season will be done at the beginning of November, and then lots of fans, I guess, will be moving to see a real professional hockey.😄

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 9:46 AM, bbgarnett said:

Another great article. 2 things. First is Ricky thinks we signed Marcus Johansson as forward depth this off season. 2nd and assuming these questions or some of them were asked before KK signed? Since Jodi was talking about KK being unsigned. 

Yes, that was true.  I sent out the questions before Kaprizov was signed because honestly...I didn't have much of a choice.  Some responded before that resolved itself and others obviously responded afterwards.  Well I won't criticize Ricky for the Marcus Johansson thing.  I can talk to him about it and perhaps I'll just delete that part.  Good catch by the way because I didn't see it.  I try to keep this as uncensored as I can.  

But I'm glad you enjoyed the article.  

On 9/29/2021 at 2:04 PM, lynxrattle said:

There is always a lot of 'if's with this team in any given year.  However, I like the thought of putting 'if's on younger players rather than older ones.  Fiala has all the reason in the world to want to have a giant season to drive up his value either with the Wild or someone else.  Do I think he's been treated fairly, no...but obviously Guerin is hoping this will keep him motivated.  I just wish we could get him some help; and hopefully our younger guys can bring that.  

And the draft needs to continue to be the pipeline as this team goes on a self-imposed budgetary diet the next few seasons.  We won't have the money for free agents, so the kids will have to get opportunities just to keep the roster more affordable.  

Not sure if anyone has been following Marat Khusnutdinov right now, but he's been looking pretty good in the KHL so far for SKA St. Petersburg.  His contract there is up after this season...IMO, good timing for the Wild.  

• Like 1

Wild Fans Speak: 2021-22 Pre-Season Edition: Part 3 of 3

Well since you brought the 'what if's' now is the part of the article where the panel talks about who they think will do well and who will flounder as well as predictions for the season.  In addition they talk about when they think this club will be a Cup contender.  

I want to thank my panel for some great responses to the questions and thanks to all of you who have read the articles and given your feedback.  If it helps start conversations and gets everyone's hockey minds going again then I think its served its purpose pretty well!  

• Like 1

Oh, Ryan O'Rourke has already been dispatched back to Sault Ste. Marie.  It wasn't because they were unhappy with him in Iowa.  They just feel he'll get more all situations ice time with the Greyhounds and they want him to continue to develop his offensive skills.  They could've kept him in Iowa, but they felt he'd benefit from logging bigger minutes there.  

• Like 2

The panelists sound very optimistic! I like that. I'm sure these guys know hockey, the Wild, and follow both with a passion. I'm a little bit more worried, but even I would say that we have a better chance of making the playoffs than not.

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Fans Speak: 2021-22 Pre-Season Edition: Part 3 of 3

Well since you brought the 'what if's' now is the part of the article where the panel talks about who they think will do well and who will flounder as well as predictions for the season.  In addition they talk about when they think this club will be a Cup contender.  

I want to thank my panel for some great responses to the questions and thanks to all of you who have read the articles and given your feedback.  If it helps start conversations and gets everyone's hockey minds going again then I think its served its purpose pretty well!  

Good article thanks enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear it!  The other question I didn't ask was about the rest of the division.  I think it will be a tougher road to go through the Central Division gauntlet than the Pacific.  

IMO you have to ask who has improved and who has stayed the same or gotten worse.  

Colorado - Even

St. Louis - Downgraded

Chicago - Improved

Nashville - Downgraded

Dallas - Improved

Arizona - Downgraded

So is 4th really all that unreasonable?  I don't think so.  But that's just my opinion.  

On 10/3/2021 at 2:01 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Colorado - Even

St. Louis - Downgraded

Chicago - Improved

Nashville - Downgraded

Arizona - Downgraded

I validate this.

Dallas - Improved

That's because they signed Suter, right? 😉

I'd say even, not to say downgraded. The Stars don't have a legit #1 goalie (the preseason games showed their weakness in that position). They lost a physical guy that was able to contribute offensively (Oleksiak) for you know who, They meant ot solve their offensive woes by signing Glendening and Raffl. Too many question marks about the vets too.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Winnipeg - Even

Even, or maybe a little improved. Their horrible defensive corps was a bit retooled (still not perfect though) and their got rid of Laine, which is good.

So is 4th really all that unreasonable?  I don't think so.  But that's just my opinion

Absolutely doable. With the Blues still being overrated IMO, there's enough room to grab a WC spot, if not better.

18 hours ago, Math said:

I validate this.

That's because they signed Suter, right? 😉

I'd say even, not to say downgraded. The Stars don't have a legit #1 goalie (the preseason games showed their weakness in that position). They lost a physical guy that was able to contribute offensively (Oleksiak) for you know who, They meant ot solve their offensive woes by signing Glendening and Raffl. Too many question marks about the vets too.

Even, or maybe a little improved. Their horrible defensive corps was a bit retooled (still not perfect though) and their got rid of Laine, which is good.

Absolutely doable. With the Blues still being overrated IMO, there's enough room to grab a WC spot, if not better.

My prediction is that Kap is licking his chops at the thought of streaking past the human matador, whom will wave his red cape, reach with a flailing poke check, and will provide no body check or resistance (except for an attempted dry hump).  I am guessing Kirill will head right for Suter whenever he gets the puck, knowing what a 'never was' and punk he really is - just to show him that his Sell By Date has long since passed.  2-3 points every game he faces off against the turnstyle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1