NHLTV dead: ESPN+ now; NHL Center Ice question

Anyone have ESPN+? $70 a year sounds reasonable enough (or$7/month) but there's no details. I realize it's brand new but maybe somebody has it for football or whatever and can tell us what they think. Do they carry both the home and away feed?

Beginning with the 2021-22 season, access more than 1,000 out-of-market NHL games and 75 exclusive games per season—making ESPN+ a must-have for hockey fans.

That's the extent of what ESPN says about their new NHL streaming offer. Here's the website: NHL on ESPN+

re: NHL Center Ice

I remember paying $125 or $150 a year - and this was 4 or 5 years ago. Now I see my cable company (Spectrum) is offering NHL Center Ice for $60. Anyone know why the price is now less than half of what it was years ago?

Edited by GratefulFlyers

• GratefulFlyers changed the title to NHLTV dead: ESPN+ now; NHL Center Ice question

@GratefulFlyersI have ESPN+ as part of the Disney+ bundle. I haven’t seen much info about how they plan to cover NHL. I’ve noticed not all games have been broadcast so far but that could be just due to it being preseason. I hope the plan is to broadcast all games for all teams. I can tell you so far you are able to pick home/away broadcasts.

I had Center Ice for many years and had NHLTV last season so I hope ESPN provides same coverage for us out of state fans. 

On 10/2/2021 at 8:39 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

Thanks Samifan I appreciate the info...good to hear you're getting both feeds.

I wonder why Center Ice is only $60 this year...it's not like Spectrum to lower their prices.

so apparently ESPN+ won’t be televising all games. I cannot get the Flyers game tonight and there is nothing listed for them tomorrow. I have DISH and they are advertising Center Ice for $165 for the year.

Leave it to Bettman to kill NHLTV 🤬

Edited by Samifan

15 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Anything available through Hulu? Last year used one of those pirated streams....not ideal..I do not and am not interested in getting cable....that ship sailed.

@Icechipperfrom what I’ve seen Hulu Live will only televise the exact same games as ESPN+ and it doesn’t look like they are doing all games like Center Ice or NHLTV did. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Samifan said:

I have DISH and they are advertising Center Ice for $165 for the year.

That sounds more like it I dk what is up with Spectrum …. $60? So ESPN+ isn’t broadcasting preseason Flyers games? Figures, they’re just driving us to the pirate sites. I had last night’s game on NHL Network with the Flyers announcers for once. 

I thought I could subscribe to ESPN+ from my cable provider but it's apparently not the case in Canada and if you are out-of-market. The only choice is to go the NHL Live for $179 which tremendously sucks.

3 hours ago, Math said:

I thought I could subscribe to ESPN+ from my cable provider but it's apparently not the case in Canada and if you are out-of-market. The only choice is to go the NHL Live for $179 which tremendously sucks.

I downloaded ESPN + app  for $69 to my smart TV and iPad and have watched all the Flyers games so far,except last night it was on NHLN.. Im in NY, not sure if it's different for Canada.

I got ESPN+ up here in Maine.

I got the 1st preseason game against the Isles but none of the Boston games but this might be because I am technically in "bruins territory".... NESN. Plus one was on TNT.

I too am very confused about how many games ESPN+ is going to carry.... I used to get NHL Center Ice at like $140 a season. I would HAPPILY pay $60 for it but I cut cable last year and I'm not looking back!

But i agree... coverage is not great this year for us "out-of-market" folks!

And TNT coverage is absolutely GARBAGE! What a waste of however many games they plan on hosting!.... Cuz if they're on TNT they are considered "nationally televised" so I assume you will NOT get those TNT games on center ice, NHL network, etc..... BAH!

Looks like the Flyers/Isles game isn't being televised anywhere tonight. The Flyers website has "97.5 The Fanatic" but no TV station.

I'm in NYC I can't remember the last time MSG didn't carry an Isles or a Rangers preseason game.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

ESPN+ schedule is on their website... They're broadcasting about 1/2 of all the games on any given night but to be fair it looks like many games are not being televised anywhere.

Of the televised games it looks like they're showing all of them except the ones on NHL Network.

ESPN+ preseason schedule

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

ESPN+ schedule is on their website... They're broadcasting about 1/2 of all the games on any given night but to be fair it looks like many games are not being televised anywhere.

Of the televised games it looks like they're showing all of them except the ones on NHL Network.

ESPN+ preseason schedule

I was trying to find out if Bridgeport could even host a television broadcast, but the Rangers/Isles on Saturday is on NHL Network.

So, I got nothin'. Don't get why it's not on. It appears NBC Sportsnet in Philly is doing paid programming and the "Live" Mike Missanelli Show at 8 (spoiler: Missanelli isn't "live" at 8PM - the station he's on is broadcasting the Flyers game...)

I assume they don't have the facilities and can't televise games at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport. The place looks plenty big enough to accommodate broadcast television; it appears to have the typical media section at the top but who knows?

looking closer those rooms at the top could just be "sky boxes" or whatever they're called.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

I guess it is on tv somewhere bc this link is working:

http://sportsstats.xyz/www.sportsrp.com/nhl/Flyers.php

it's an Islanders crew calling the game but not the regular guys. I can't find the game on my tv (NYC Spectrum/Time Warner cable) but evidently somebody is broadcasting it.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I downloaded ESPN + app  for $69 to my smart TV and iPad and have watched all the Flyers games so far,except last night it was on NHLN.. Im in NY, not sure if it's different for Canada.

We've never had ESPN up here. From what I see, the NHL offers a service through Rogers to allow streaming of out-of-market games for $180 CAD (~140 Freedom Dollars) and I know you can get NHL Network on cable, but I haven't been a subscriber for just about 15 years now, so I have no idea what that costs on top of a cable bill.

Hello:

I paid $49 dollars this year for NHL Center Ice through Comcast on pre-season purchase.  I couldn't figure out why it was so cheap.  Maybe cable cutting is impacting price.  I like watching a game on the tube. BTW, this year they've committed to all HD broadcasts. 

Best,

Howie

Thanks for posting that Howie. I figured the $60 offer was a mistake, which they would "correct" on my next bill. But if Comcast cut their price I can believe Spectrum did too. Good, so now ESPN+ and Center Ice together costs less than I used to pay for Center Ice alone.

• Like 1

I just confirmed my provider (DISH Network) is offering full season of Center Ice for $60 as well.

My son got the Disney+ bundle a while back so Hulu and ESPN+ are already included in that do it looks like I’m covered for all games except the ones I am driving to Philly to see in person, this season lol

On 10/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, JR Ewing said:

We've never had ESPN up here. From what I see, the NHL offers a service through Rogers to allow streaming of out-of-market games for $180 CAD (~140 Freedom Dollars)

I confirm, I made a whole investigation and then I found myself lost between the Mordor and the Kuiper belt. So no choice to go for the full stick-in-the-butt $180 CAD package for us, we the North... :dizzysmiley-1:

• Sad 1

Only way to watch NHL in Denmark (guess its the same in Sweden and Norway) is to pay 445 DKR (69-70 USD) pr. month! With that though we get all NHL games, all Champions league and all premierleague plus a bunch of shows and movies.

No way to only choose NHL unfortunately.

Evidently ESPN+ doesn't show the post-game studio wrapup ... JT Miller scored the GWer and 2 seconds later it was ..."Your event has ended" scrolling along the screen. That sucks. I guess for 7 dollars a month I shouldn't expect much. But Center Ice showed the post-game pretty often IIRC; been a few years since I had it.

• Like 1