Lehner's accusations

Brewin Flames

USA TODAY Sports

NHL hopes to talk to Golden Knights' Robin Lehner about his accusations about team medical practices

Mike Brehm, USA TODAY
Sun, October 3, 2021, 12:06 PM

The NHL said it hopes to talk to Vegas Golden Knights goaltender Robin Lehner about a series of accusations he had made on Twitter on Saturday about team medical practices.

Lehner implied that unspecified teams offered Ambien and benzodiazepines during road trips without prescriptions.

"This doesn’t happen in Vegas to be clear," he tweeted. "But I know many other teams. I also been in on teams that do."

Lehner, who won the Masterton Trophy for perseverance in 2018-19 after revealing that he had been treated for depression, anxiety and addictions and had also been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, began his series of tweets while linking to a Buffalo News article about Sabres star Jack Eichel.

Vegas Golden Knights goaltender Robin Lehner wants players to have a greater say in their medical treatment.

Vegas Golden Knights goaltender Robin Lehner wants players to have a greater say in their medical treatment.

The former teammate is in a dispute with the Sabres about what type of surgery he should have for a neck injury. Eichel's representatives want him to have disk replacement surgery, which has never been done on an NHL player, while the team wants him to have fusion surgery. Eichel has been stripped of his captaincy.

"Better to have pain for the rest of their lives… At least they will supply the pain meds.. same old (expletive)," Lehner tweeted.

The goalie has played for five NHL teams during his 11-year career.

He's the undisputed No. 1 goalie this season in Vegas after the Golden Knights traded Vezina Trophy winner Marc-Andre Fleury to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Lehner, who says he has "stored stories for a year," wants players to have a greater say in their medical treatment.

"I’m 100% an nhl fan," he tweeted.

"Love hockey and want the nhl to be great. I’m not trying to destroy anything.but do what’s right. It’s time to walk away from the old ways and in to the new. Things have to change."

this stuff makes no sense because even if it was true it wouldnt just be lehner, it would be a group of players going to the players union when they first found it about it because they arent going to believe one player that goes on social media about it without telling them.

Can't even say his heart is in the right place because whatever the hell his point is, his message is scattershot.

Plus, I heard Twitter strains eyesight 👀 and tik tok messes with motor skills and reflexes, gives a guy the jitters.....🥅

"When I was going off on a rant about teams overmedicating players and included a specific coach in the rant, it was never my intention to imply that the coach that I've never played for that I mentioned during the rant about overmedicating players was, in fact, overmedicating players. I think I've been pretty clear about this. How could you possibly have gotten my very clear, 280-character accusation that wasn't, in fact, an accusation wrong?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

47 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lehner should not be allowed to play hockey again until he gets himself under control.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure this is what the Vegas Filthy K-nig-its had in mind when they kicked Fleury to the curb Chicago.

(in other news, Strikethrough seems to be back on the editor!)

• Like 1

"The only way to effect change - in my mind - is to do it in a non-public fashion" which is why I went on Twitter in the first place.

"I'm not looking to hurt anyone" and certainly not the coach that I called out by name.

"I'm not threatening anyone" and certainly not the coach that I called to be fired.

I respect what he's apparently trying to do, but he's really done it in a weird way.

Zero comment from Lehner and zero questions from the media about the accusations against Vigneault. :thumbsu:

• Uggh... 1