2021-22 HF.net In-Season Discussion Thread (All Star / Conn Smythe)

pilldoc

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Traded gibson for some offensive help in Rantanen. Have 5 goalies, 2 coming off IR soon, so it makes sense to me.

Makes a lot of sense to me. IMHO Gibson has an expiration date, not saying he is going to fall off a cliff but I do not believe that either he or the Ducks can come close to their present pace. Colorado on the other hand is heating up and getting healthy.....

On 11/22/2021 at 1:37 PM, yave1964 said:

Makes a lot of sense to me. IMHO Gibson has an expiration date, not saying he is going to fall off a cliff but I do not believe that either he or the Ducks can come close to their present pace. Colorado on the other hand is heating up and getting healthy.....

I may have traded gibson for rantanen at just the right time lol.

6 goals and 5 assists in his last 6 games. 

• Like 1

Not even sure wtf I am doing with this trade. But scheifele and burns to tfg's green star blades for O'Reilly. 

It may have been fit of pique seeing petterson and scheifele as my top 2 c's winning no faceoffs, scoring no points, and knowing O'Reilly if nothing else is reliable for 50 points and lots of faceoffs so I wanted to make a change. And I am carrying 7 d which is unusual for me.

7 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Not even sure wtf I am doing with this trade. But scheifele and burns to tfg's green star blades for O'Reilly. 

It may have been fit of pique seeing petterson and scheifele as my top 2 c's winning no faceoffs, scoring no points, and knowing O'Reilly if nothing else is reliable for 50 points and lots of faceoffs so I wanted to make a change. And I am carrying 7 d which is unusual for me.

Funny you posted this, when I saw your offer, I was thinking, "Why would I want to trade away O'Reilly who is steady?"

Thing is, you are right, ROR is usually good at least for the amount of points you said and he is a FO monster.
However, I don't seem to be winning the FO categories most weeks anyways, so, took the chance on the two for one that Schief and Burns will pick things up.
And if nothing else, those two players should give me peripherals in shots, blocks, and Schief will contribute FO's as well.

Overall, I think you ended up with the best player in the deal, but ROR by himself wasn't going to change my fortunes, perhaps two struggling players who can turn things around can.

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Funny you posted this, when I saw your offer, I was thinking, "Why would I want to trade away O'Reilly who is steady?"

Thing is, you are right, ROR is usually good at least for the amount of points you said and he is a FO monster.
However, I don't seem to be winning the FO categories most weeks anyways, so, took the chance on the two for one that Schief and Burns will pick things up.
And if nothing else, those two players should give me peripherals in shots, blocks, and Schief will contribute FO's as well.

Overall, I think you ended up with the best player in the deal, but ROR by himself wasn't going to change my fortunes, perhaps two struggling players who can turn things around can.

I'm expecting Paul Maurice to be fired at any moment. They lost to Arizona....who had 15 shots on goal to like 40 and it was 0-1. At some point hellebuyck needs to take a hextall chop at his teammates.

And then scheifele will become his steady dependable self lol

9 years with the same coach......sheesh.

Same with green being fired.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 9:13 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It worked! Scheifele scored a hat trick as soon as I traded him to you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trade in all stars. Halifax sharknado trades and IR Carey Price to leafswincup2022 for an IR jack Eichel.

Realistically Price should be back soon so it gives leafs another starting goalie and a chance to fight for a playoff spot. I have 2 solid workhorse starters and an unknown potential blue chip in Francouz so I can field the loss.

Eichel won't be back for months but I am hoping for a boost to my forward corps when he does come back.

• Like 1

Just now, J0e Th0rnton said:

Trade in all stars. Halifax sharknado trades and IR Carey Price to leafswincup2022 for an IR jack Eichel.

Realistically Price should be back soon so it gives leafs another starting goalie and a chance to fight for a playoff spot. I have 2 solid workhorse starters and an unknown potential blue chip in Francouz so I can field the loss.

Eichel won't be back for months but I am hoping for a boost to my forward corps when he does come back.

I thought this made sense when I saw it go past.     I wished I'd thought of it, but I also wasn't really in the same position with goalie that you are.

• Like 1

To All,

With the e-mails I received last evening and this morning the current vote to increase the IR+ spots from 4 to 6, has been passed with a majority of 8 in favor and 1 against.

This vote was in response to the significant number of NHL players currently in the NHL Covid Protocol AND the number of games the NHL has postponed due to the pandemic.

As I have stated elsewhere, a successful league has to be able to adapt when circumstances dictate it. I acknowledge that there are differing views on this topic and I respect everyone's opinions. This is one of those times when a change was needed during the season and the League has spoken.

Therefore, on Sunday evening (sometime around 9 pm EST) after all the games are either completed or are in progress, I will make the following changes:

1) The IR+ spot will be increased from 4 spots to 6.
2) The maximum number of moves allowed per season will be changed from 100 total moves, to no limit.

These changes will go in effect for the next week match-ups starting on Monday, December 20th.

Pleas note: These changes will only be in effect for the rest of this year. At the end of the year, we will re-evaluate and discuss what changes should be made for next season.

Thank You for your understanding.

Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas.

~doc
Commish

• 1 month later...

Jeez. What is this 5 player for 5 player trade? Lol

Every angle I look at this trade feels like it's close, except for Horvat being on covid protocol still. Assuming he comes off in the next week, goalie advantage to rux, skater advantage to yave

Why does yave hate bobrovsky?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Jeez. What is this 5 player for 5 player trade? Lol

Every angle I look at this trade feels like it's close, except for Horvat being on covid protocol still. Assuming he comes off in the next week, goalie advantage to rux, skater advantage to yave

Why does yave hate bobrovsky?

looked at the cats schedule for the playoffs didnt like it. also picked up couts off waivers when he and horvat return i woulda been too heavy at center only lindholm has rw eligibility so couts hopefully ninety pct replaces horvat making skaters a huge win. and i love nurse even if the offense isn't quite there this year.

53 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

looked at the cats schedule for the playoffs didnt like it. also picked up couts off waivers when he and horvat return i woulda been too heavy at center only lindholm has rw eligibility so couts hopefully ninety pct replaces horvat making skaters a huge win. and i love nurse even if the offense isn't quite there this year.

I just gave up some FOW and SOG myself. On paper, I may have just hosed myself. Im hoping Eichel's return changes that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I just gave up some FOW and SOG myself. On paper, I may have just hosed myself. Im hoping Eichel's return changes that.

Saw your trade, surprised me a bit mostl because Hertl qualifies at LW as well. Still I like to have the same players whenever possible on my fantasy teams and you just added Scheifele from me. Plus the Jets have 3 games at hand which at this point in the year has to be a factor.

43 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Saw your trade, surprised me a bit mostl because Hertl qualifies at LW as well. Still I like to have the same players whenever possible on my fantasy teams and you just added Scheifele from me. Plus the Jets have 3 games at hand which at this point in the year has to be a factor.

We all have our superstitions lol.

Mine tells me when I own sharks, I screw over my team in real life. I traded Karlsson in NAHANA but not all stars, next thing you know he is out 2 months surgery....

As far as I can tell, that is going to sink the sharks. Our defense depth is bad. Losing Karlsson is the possible end of our season unless Merkley explodes.

They will still score. But keeping pucks out of the net is another matter. 

Every time I owned Jones, he sucked. When I traded him, he went on a tear.

I've had them on the trade block in NAHANA, but an offer needs to feel right even for me to pull a superstitious trade. I offered you Meier for Scheifele and instead you wanted Zegras/Malkin lol. 

Hertl is harder for me to trade in NAHANA. FOW is much more of a thing since it's the only real peripheral that isn't a lottery and we have so many C slots.

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 2

Deperation time in All Stars Green Land over here...

Hell Bears gets:
C/LW - Tomas Hertl
G-  Igor Shesterkin

Green Star Blades gets:
C- Bo Horvat
LW/RW- Patrik Laine

C/LW - Claude Giroux

Yep. Flipped my newly acquired Hertl, along with stud goalie Shesterkin, to try and hammer my way into the top 8 with offense and peripherals.
My team just seems to be stuck in the 9th/10th position and I felt I needed to do something drastic to shake up the status quo, and although I normally like building from the goalie on out, am trying an Atlanta Thrasher-esque all offense, shooting, faceoffs, and let the goaltending and +/- chips fall where they may!

One potential lottery win for me here is, if Claude Giroux is traded to a contender, it could see his production increase significantly. He is already having a good year with the Flyers, but if rumors are true.....
Laine is Laine....looks mediocre many nights, looks like a lights out superstar on others.
Horvat is a fan favorite and he was heating up a bit before his run in with Covid, and his team has certainly missed him as they have dipped again without him in the lineup.

Bears are getting a damned good goalie (I'll be flying by the seat of my goalie pads moving forward...thank goodness for Demko still and Ned when he is on), and of course the multi-talented Teenage Mutant Ninja Hertl.

Will this get me into the top 8? Will more need to be done?
Will the Bears hang in the top 8? Will the Star Blades need to remove THEM to get in?

These questions and more, I have no frickin answers to, so stop asking.... :shifty: 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Will this get me into the top 8? Will more need to be done?

Problem is we need to get into the top six.   We're both on the outside looking in.

For my part, it's probably a mistake in Allstars to build goaltending at the expense of offense.  I hurt myself a little here in terms of offense, SOG, and FW.     But hopefuly goaltending can steal me some wins between Shester, Ulmark, and the newly acquired Panther Twins.

So, when viewed in combination with my trade with Yave, it goes a little something like this:

Skaters Out                                     Skaters In

Claude Giroux                            Tomas Hertl

Darnell Nurse                              Ben Chiarot

Patrik Laine                              Yanni Gourde

Elias Lindholm 

Goalies Out                               Goalies In

Carter Hart                                Sergei Bobrovsky

Braden Holtby                           Spencer Knight

James Reimer                           Igor Shesterkin

The glaring extra sitting there in the skater list is Lindholm.   The others aren't exactly a wash but close enough it's not a big deal.  But Lindholm is the price for clearing out Hart, Holtby, and Reimer for Bob, Knight, and Shester.   So, we'll see.

(Horvat not included above because he came in, didn't play, was rejected at customs, and sent packing)

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

@ruxpinis right @TropicalFruitGirl26 it is top six that makes the playoffs.

I like this more for TFG because of this: 12 offensive stats, six goalie stats, that and that alone. I do love the upgraded goaltending for Rux over his two deals, obviously a HUGE deal but @J0e Th0rnton has made a believer of me with the whole 12 offensive stats being an area to concentrate on moreso than the 6 in net. That is why I was willing to move Bob for three good, not great goalies and Lindholm/Nurse because those two balanced my roster. 

So IMHO goalies are tremendously more valuable in Nahana where there are nine skater stats to six goalie stats and two extra teams make goalies 14 percent harder to come by. It is why I have won three in a row in All Star and curently sitting in first, goalies are just not as important. If I can go 3-3 in goalie stats and win five of the six non scoring offensive cats my team is damn near impossible to beat. I dont need great goaltending, just good enough to break even and if I do that I am going to win probably 95 percent of the time. 

Long winded but that is why I give the win on this one to TFG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I like this more for TFG because of this: 12 offensive stats, six goalie stats, that and that alone. I do love the upgraded goaltending for Rux over his two deals, obviously a HUGE deal but @J0e Th0rnton has made a believer of me with the whole 12 offensive stats being an area to concentrate on moreso than the 6 in net. That is why I was willing to move Bob for three good, not great goalies and Lindholm/Nurse because those two balanced my roster. 

So IMHO goalies are tremendously more valuable in Nahana where there are nine skater stats to six goalie stats and two extra teams make goalies 14 percent harder to come by. It is why I have won three in a row in All Star and curently sitting in first, goalies are just not as important. If I can go 3-3 in goalie stats and win five of the six non scoring offensive cats my team is damn near impossible to beat. I dont need great goaltending, just good enough to break even and if I do that I am going to win probably 95 percent of the time. 

Yep, yep....you are the second one to remind me of the "top six teams' thing in this league.
My brain is stuck in NAHANA mode when it comes to that.

Ahhh well....definitely means my team needs to do more than simply 'improve a bit'.
Catching @pilldoc in 6th is quite different than trying to remove Rux or Jagged in 7th and 8th....although with the super goaltending the Bears should get, he may STILL be in my way. :shifty: 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Eh, I still think goaltending is very important. Its only 30% of the cats but if you have 2 solid goalies, your odds of winning those 6 cats and then taking some specialized cats are better. When 2 guys decide 30% of your categories on a roster of 14 skaters 4 bench, 2 goalies 1 bench

I like Rux's goalies better than my own now lol. The Winnipeg turnaround just isn't happening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Eh, I still think goaltending is very important. Its only 30% of the cats but if you have 2 solid goalies, your odds of winning those 6 cats and then taking some specialized cats are better. When 2 guys decide 30% of your categories on a roster of 14 skaters 4 bench, 2 goalies 1 bench

I like Rux's goalies better than my own now lol. The Winnipeg turnaround just isn't happening.

FWIW, I too am a believer that great goaltending will put you in a position to win most weeks.

That said, I am sitting out of the playoff picture, and @yave1964 is not only sitting IN the playoff picture, but doing it, and HAS been doing it, for years now, all while finishing off a doobie with Cheetos and chuckling at everyone from 2nd on downwards....so what the hell do I know? :ph34r:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ahhh well....definitely means my team needs to do more than simply 'improve a bit'.
Catching @pilldoc in 6th is quite different than trying to remove Rux or Jagged in 7th and 8th....although with the super goaltending the Bears should get, he may STILL be in my way. :shifty:

I'm not as high on my All Star team this year as in years past.  Usually I'm sitting top 4 but this year I am barely hanging on to 6th.  I thought my goalies where strong.  However, Husso seems to be taking over in St. Louis which leaves Binnington with spot starts, Kuemper is losing his job to Francouz in Avs land.  At least I have the Flames cuff.  I tried prying either Talbot or Husso away from Dumb and Dumber by offering the other cuff, but he is not budging.  

I'm fairly good with peripherals, but I lack scoring.  If I do make the playoffs it will be by some miracle and then like in years past with the Flyers, I will be one and done.

Even in Conn Smythe, I feel I have a weaker team than usual.

My only consolation is I really like my NAHANA team and really hope to make some noise come playoffs time.

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

FWIW, I too am a believer that great goaltending will put you in a position to win most weeks.

That said, I am sitting out of the playoff picture, and @yave1964 is not only sitting IN the playoff picture, but doing it, and HAS been doing it, for years now, all while finishing off a doobie with Cheetos and chuckling at everyone from 2nd on downwards....so what the hell do I know? :ph34r:

Yave cheats.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I'm not as high on my All Star team this year as in years past.  Usually I'm sitting top 4 but this year I am barely hanging on to 6th.  I thought my goalies where strong.  However, Husso seems to be taking over in St. Louis which leaves Binnington with spot starts, Kuemper is losing his job to Francouz in Avs land.  At least I have the Flames cuff.  I tried prying either Talbot or Husso away from Dumb and Dumber by offering the other cuff, but he is not budging.  

I'm fairly good with peripherals, but I lack scoring.  If I do make the playoffs it will be by some miracle and then like in years past with the Flyers, I will be one and done.

Even in Conn Smythe, I feel I have a weaker team than usual.

My only consolation is I really like my NAHANA team and really hope to make some noise come playoffs time.

Fantasy is a little harder when your real life team sucks so bad that you watch and follow less hockey.

That's part of what it is in my case, anyway.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Fantasy is a little harder when your real life team sucks so bad that you watch and follow less hockey.

That part of what it is in my case, anyway.

You are not far from the truth ......  I missed key pickups here and there simply because I HATE the Flyers right now and, at times, life events trump FHL.  

• Like 1