Pre-Season #6: Flyers at Capitals; 10/8/21 @ 7, CSP

Howie58

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You'll see Sandstrom called up waive Jones and take get about half of his salary back to use elsewhere maybe.

Jones was a risky, rather unwise move. I would prefer another veteran backup as opposed to Sandstrom. I wonder if there is a way we could trade something to Seattle for Dreidger.

Edited by FD19372

It has been hard for me to figure if the bad save percentage we've seen from Jones is the team around him or....him.  I guess we find out pretty soon.  As one pundit has noted, Carter Hart has had the better squads supporting him, and the AHLers opposing him.  

I agree we need to reckon earlier on if the pool of goalies in the system is Lyon Redux or other.  

37 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

It has been hard for me to figure if the bad save percentage we've seen from Jones is the team around him or....him.

It's just that he's a terrible goalie. Period. It was a ridiculous signing.

Sorry, but that's all there is to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

It has been hard for me to figure if the bad save percentage we've seen from Jones is the team around him or....him.

Well some of it for sure like this doesn't help.

Let's just say a lot of kinks are still being worked out.

It is a fluid situation at the moment.

I sure hope they can sneak Sandstrom through waivers.

I'd hate for some team to snatch him and put him behind their starter.

That would sucks because then he would surely end up a Vezina candidate every year.

🤣

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's just that he's a terrible goalie. Period. It was a ridiculous signing.

Sorry, but that's all there is to it.

Rux and Company:

I think Jones is like a lot of the other signings and the team as a whole:  It is a turnaround gamble.  I think 2 million for him seemed high.  We may have a bummer on our hands.  Risto too.  We hope Yandle has gas in the tank...same for Bressard.  They all disappear in a year under worst case.   We hope that our starting goalie has a turnaround as well.  If he doesn't, we may be truly screwed.  I agree, Jones didn't seem like the best candidate, but our GM didn't want to spend more, and for all we know, some free agents didn't want to join the Goalie Graveyard known as the O and B.

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

They all disappear in a year under worst case. 

Yandle, Brassard, and Jones cost nothing to acquire.

Ristolainen still costs them a 2nd in the 2023 draft.

I'm not terribly worried about Yandle or Brassard, and Riskolainen hasn't been egregiously terrible.

Jones can singlehandedly cost them points in the standings...

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

You're obviously unfamiliar with a team called the Buffalo Sabres :)

It's true the Sabres goaltending has been lousy for almost a decade. Miller played there for 11 seasons prior to that. They had Hasek before him for 9. That's two decades of solid goaltending. We haven't had that in our franchises history. Barrasso. Crozier. 

We've had one good year from Hart. We had EIGHT goalies play for us 3 seasons ago. About 60 play for us since Bernie. The Sabres have been way more stable in goal than us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The Sabres have been way more stable in goal than us. 

The Danbury Trashers were more stable in goal than us!!....

My son's pee-wee team is more stable in goal than us!!!!....

ah, nevermind! you get the point.

Edited by radoran
removing the politics...
  • Like 2

RE: Martin Jones

Benier wanted starter money. Who here thinks that guy is worth  4.1 x 2 ?

Brayden Holtby reportedly did not want to sign in PHI.

Schneider, Mrazek, Raanta all come with questions also.

Sometimes you have to take what's available.  The idea that the management group targeted Jones from the start and that was because they didn't care about the position is laughably stupid. 

I would have preferred Bernier, but that just wasn't in the cards.

Jones wound up being their guy because:

A. We had myriad issues to address 

B. There are 31 other teams looking for BUGs too.

C. The starter is young and has had success at every level including winning a playoff series in the NHL, BUG is important           however, it is not unreasonable to rely on the guy the team and many in the league consider a top young player. 

I know Jones could cost the team games. So could Hayes' injury, so could a 100 unforeseen issues. 

Goalie is a weird position and guys lose their games and then find it and no one really knows why. Jones was a guy that was available. I hope the team isn't relying on him for success because that would mean there are other much more serious issues at hand.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The idea that the management group targeted Jones from the start and that was because they didn't care about the position is laughably stupid. 

I don't think they targeted him from the start, but that's not to say that that's evidence they care about the position...

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

B. There are 31 other teams looking for BUGs too.

Not entirely true that there were 31 teams in competition for BUG this off-season.

Off the top of my head Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, Islanders, Vegas, Wild all had their BUG locked down. That's without even looking...

And "players didn't want to come here" isn't a great look for a franchise...

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I know Jones could cost the team games. So could Hayes' injury, so could a 100 unforeseen issues. 

Bad goaltending can make the entire team look bad far more than losing one player.

There ARE lots of things that can affect a team's performance, yes. Bad goaltending IMO has an outsized impact and is harder to replace than a 2C or a top pair defenseman.

You can change up schemes to limit shots and chances, but if the ones that are taken go in 11+% of the time that's a real, demoralizing problem.

@radoran

As usual you are not talking crazy. We all witnessed what poor goaltending can do to a team.

There is a reality to the situation that I feel has been ignored. And that is, sometimes things don't go as planned regardless of intentions.

but that's not to say that that's evidence they care about the position...

I've heard several maybe 4 ? definitely more than 2 interviews with Chuck Fletcher saying the words if the goaltending isn't good a lot of the other changes won't matter much.  This group isn't blind to the fact that goaltending is important.

We're not really arguing different sides of this topic.

Because a thing "isn't a good look" doesn't make it untrue.

Guys can have their reasons for not wanting to sign with a team, could be geography, could be as stupid as "I don't like orange". Whatever their motivations, it doesn't change the fact that a guy didn't want to sign here.

By the time the MGMT  got to learn some things; Bernier, Holtby, etc...guys that were maybe higher on that particular list were signed. 

There were so many problems with the team, not everything could be addressed to 100% satisfaction. 

The hope is Jones doesn't play enough to ruin everything, if he's still struggling.

Edited by mojo1917
added the quote and rebuttal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The hope is Jones doesn't play enough to ruin everything, if he's still struggling.

And the hope is that Hart plays to a level that makes Jones irrelevant. And/or that the actual defense they plan to have in front of him makes him better.

I hope Hart plays to a level that gets him ~60 starts.

We'll see what regular season Jones brings.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It's true the Sabres goaltending has been lousy for almost a decade. Miller played there for 11 seasons prior to that. They had Hasek before him for 9. That's two decades of solid goaltending. We haven't had that in our franchises history. Barrasso. Crozier. 

We've had one good year from Hart. We had EIGHT goalies play for us 3 seasons ago. About 60 play for us since Bernie. The Sabres have been way more stable in goal than us. 

Oh I meant right now. Their goaltending is ancient Craig Anderson as the starter with Tokharski as his back up. It's the worst in the league by far until (if) one of their kids comes up and is ready. I think they are tanking for a shot at Wright. 

• Like 1

I'm picturing the scene in The Shining where the Mrs. finally sees all the writing Jack has been working on...nothing but "All Work and No Play makes Jack a dull boy" written over and over again.

'Cept in this case I picture her seeing nothing but "Two Years Away from being Two Years Away"   AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

See the source image

See the source image

Two Years from being Two years AWAY.  TWo Years from BEing Two Years Away.

Two yeaRS froM being TWO yearS AwaY.  TWO years from Being Two years AWay

TWOYEARSFROMBEINGTWOYEARSFROMBEINGTWOYEARSFROMBEINGTWOYEARS!

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Do goalies get 60 starts anymore?

Not the past two years.😃

Goalies like Dubnyk, Rinne, Holtby have gotten in the past five years.

60's probably aspirational or hopeful to avoid seeing Jones...

• Like 1