Predictions of Mediocrity in 2021-22

Howie58

Here are two sets of predictions for the upcoming season.  One is big picture, one is division-focused:

NHL Bets: Betting odds for Philadelphia Flyers season, players - Broad Street Hockey

Metropolitan and Atlantic Division Predictions (yahoo.com)

We are not rated very highly.  One pundit sees it as a Hart issue.  We are in a tough division in a parity-based league.

Well the goaltending is certainly the big question mark and will determine a lot, but maybe the improved D will help make the goalies look and play better and then maybe they win more of the close ones and in that parity league those are the ones that make or break you. 

I still think this can be a playoff team.

• Like 1

The D is much improved, but there a ton of questions for me to think this is more than a borderline playoff team. 1) Where is the balanced scoring going to come from? 2) Elliott helped, to some extent, stabilize things last year when Hart struggled. I know we missed the playoffs but without him, God only knows how bad things would have been. 3) How much will the young forwards improve OR bounce back? I expect Farabee and TK to have good season, but who knows?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Here are two sets of predictions for the upcoming season.  One is big picture, one is division-focused:

NHL Bets: Betting odds for Philadelphia Flyers season, players - Broad Street Hockey

Metropolitan and Atlantic Division Predictions (yahoo.com)

We are not rated very highly.  One pundit sees it as a Hart issue.  We are in a tough division in a parity-based league.

Not sure I read either link the way you did, but I'll tell you this:

I am not putting a lot of stock in any"pundit" who is saying Carolina will win the Metro.  Prediction:  they miss the playoffs.  I think they screwed up their goaltending, their defense, and their chemistry with a truly bizarre offseason.

And I think they're way too high on the capitals.

Not sure what to think of the Flyers, but I didn't actually see "mediocrity" regarding the division.  Maybe some mediocrity on prognosticating, though.

36 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I am not putting a lot of stock in any"pundit" who is saying Carolina will win the Metro.  Prediction:  they miss the playoffs.  I think they screwed up their goaltending, their defense, and their chemistry with a truly bizarre offseason.

Not sure what to think of the Flyers, but I didn't actually see "mediocrity" regarding the division.  Maybe some mediocrity on prognosticating, though.

Rux:  I don't think we are in the top three in the Metro.  I could be pleasantly surprised.  The pundits in Vegas did not see us as a playoff team last year.  Whether they are right this year is TBD.  I posted this as food for thought. Again, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Rux:  I don't think we are in the top three in the Metro.  I could be pleasantly surprised.  The pundits in Vegas did not see us as a playoff team last year.  Whether they are right this year is TBD.  I posted this as food for thought. Again, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

I don't think top 3 either. Even if Hart plays well,, he's going to have to play a LOT of hockey because Martin Jones is a disaster on skates.  And Hart will break down as a result.

And the flyers went from a problem of young and inexperienced straight to being OLD.  They didn't pass GO!, they didn't collect $200, they went straight to old.  Holy overreaction, Batman!

This is such a bumblefk organization.  

BUT...things can shake out.  *Can.*  Because Washington is broken and Pittsburgh is on the way down as well.  And I legitimately don't understand what Carolina did.

Yeah, the Rangers are on the way up.  

I'm not arguing against the Vegas stuff, but on the other hand I think they're actually not too far to what I'm saying.  I was mostly gearing my comments to the Yahoo "analysts," who I'm rarely impressed with.

Because I think they're way too rosey on Carolina. And I think they actually mistakenly overlook New Jersey.  When Carolina fails and Jersey does better than they think they'll write stories with "who knew?" or "surprise of the year" themes.  Just saying I see it differently.

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I posted this as food for thought.

Well yeah. And I thought I was just discussing. The Vegas thing didn't look bad to me, and the Yahoo thing is fun to discuss. So I was discussing.  Sorry if we weren't supposed to.

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm going to wait till after the trade deadline to make my predictions...

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 1

The thing I see is that no one really knows what the Flyers are going to be.

And that, for the first time in ~10 years, isn't a bad thing.

The big question is no longer whether players who hadn't shown a second gear finally found one. It's whether the moves worked and the team gels.

We're not going to know that in Week 1.  I'm not entirely sure we'll know it in 2021.

We will have a better view on whether Hart is going to rebound. My money - albeit not a lot of it - is on "yes."

But there's a lot to learn.

I don't think the Metro - despite being a ridiculously competitive division - has completely run away from them. The Caps and Pens are on the other side of the hump. The Canes are a question mark - they have the forwards, but do they have the D/G to back them up? The Isles are going to be a tough out. Columbus is a hot mess, but Vee and Laine have shown some actual "chemistry." And the Ranjerks are an open question, but just may be a little further along than the Flyers at this point.

This is the first hockey season I've really been interested in - from a Flyers perspective - in 3-5 years. If nothing else, it will be interesting and that's more than I've been able to say for - as I noted - several years now...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

56 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is the first hockey season I've really been interested in - from a Flyers perspective - in 3-5 years. If nothing else, it will be interesting and that's more than I've been able to say for - as I noted - several years now...

Yeah, in the past few years I was interested in this or the other rookie (whether Hart, or Farabee, etc.).  But as a team yeah, it'll be interesting to see.   I think we've potentially made this team too old, but this statement is very true so time will tell:

58 minutes ago, radoran said:

no one really knows what the Flyers are going to be.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I think we've potentially made this team too old, but this statement is very true so time will tell:

I look at this roster of "olds" as temporary. 

Injuries have wreaked havoc on the young guys potentially breaking into the lineup. Frost, Allison, Laczynski that's 3 dudes with real world impact potential not available because weird **** happened to them.  Frost will be ready sooner rather than later based on his LHV pre-season performances. Allison and Tanner may be mid-season additions. 

Nothing wrong with icing some reliable guys that can play in the NHL until the young guys take their spot. I do think the 3 young guys I mentioned will be taking someone's spot. 

Hayes isn't an old yet, he'll be back at some point too.

That will cycle some of the "olds" down in the line up or to LHV.

Edit: remembered Laczynki's injury was season ending. that sucks. He is a guy that could have played in that bottom 6.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I look at this roster of "olds" as temporary. 

Injuries have wreaked havoc on the young guys potentially breaking into the lineup. Frost, Allison, Laczynski that's 3 dudes with real world impact potential not available because weird **** happened to them.  Frost will be ready sooner rather than later based on his LHV pre-season performances. Allison and Tanner may be mid-season additions. 

Nothing wrong with icing some reliable guys that can play in the NHL until the young guys take their spot. I do think the 3 young guys I mentioned will be taking someone's spot. 

Hayes isn't an old yet, he'll be back at some point too.

That will cycle some of the "olds" down in the line up or to LHV.

Edit: remembered Laczynki's injury was season ending. that sucks. He is a guy that could have played in that bottom 6.

It's tempoary, but it's enough that "not this year."

And the old wasn't directed at any one player.   I don't know the metrics so maybe this part isn't even true, but the average age (didn't do the math) of the group as a whole just doesn't *seem* like a contender.    So, in a conversation predicting ultimate outcome for this year it just makes it kind of hard to predict place in the standings.   Like Rad (and others) said, it really could be just about anyhwere up and down the division.

Hoping you're right about some of the kids.   We'll need to figure out the cap situation for that to happen, though, unless it's because someone gets LITR'd.

Flyers claiming Zack MacEwen, they've placed Kevin Hayes on long-term injured reserve now have 6.3mill in cap space.

Flyers are going to Kucherov Hayes.

Don't think Holmgren wasn't paying attention last year.

So he will be ready to play April 13th...

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup