Flyers claim Zack MacEwen, WHO?

Samifan

I said this in the chatbox, might be worth posting here:

MacEwen could turn out to be a solid bottom sixer for the Flyers if they manage him correctly.

The general consensus by many Vancouver fans is that he was misused (mostly as a 4th line goon) simply because of his size, when in fact, he seemed to be better suited to a checking role, a bit of toughness, and some skill to be effective from any bottom six role a team may give him.

He didn't have a particularly good training camp and exhibition in Vancouver, but again, they didn't seem to know how to use him properly.
If Philly can undo some of what the Canucks did, properly deploy him, he could be a nice pick up in the long run.

Only 25 too, so if he is open to being coached properly, he has a bit of ceiling.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Are we being told that none of the prospects is good enough to try, or that it's a waste of development time to sit on the bench? I suspect one or both will be waived by season's end. 

Hey Howie,

I don't think there's much patience for "let's see what this kid can do" especially after last season when nearly all the "kids" pooped the bed.

I also think Chuck Fletcher loves that Identity Line that plays for NYI. Those guys change the momentum of games on the regular, they're relentless, tough and have some skill. 

I'm sure he'd like to have a line that plays like that here.

There are some pit-bulls here but they're little Konecny, NAK, Laughton, or they're brittle, Allison, Lacsynski. So we're seeing if a high energy physical line with some hands can be put together on the fly- out of necessity. 

I don't think the internal guys who can do what these two waiver wire guys can do are ready or healthy .

MacEwan's high light reel from juniors is kind of eye popping. He's not a total knuckle dragger, can skate and has some shimmy to his game which seems weird to say about a big lump. Patrick Brown is a high motor, high character guy like Tyler Pitlick with less talent but he isn't always hurt. 

I hope it works.

• Good Post 1

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

MacEwan's high light reel from juniors is kind of eye popping. He's not a total knuckle dragger, can skate and has some shimmy to his game which seems weird to say about a big lump. Patrick Brown is a high motor, high character guy like Tyler Pitlick with less talent but he isn't always hurt. 

I hope it works.

It was pretty good...but it looked like he did most of it with his head down. Which is probably why you don't see a lot of it at the NHL lelvel...or he'd get levelled!

I actually like this signing. It's not because he's Hayes BFF or from Minnesota. Though as you all know I certainly think those are the two greatest traits for building a champion. :bonkingheadonwall:He does possess a bit of skill (a wee, little itsy bitsy amount) but plays with heart and sticks up for teammates. Without being a complete lunkhead.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It was pretty good...but it looked like he did most of it with his head down. Which is probably why you don't see a lot of it at the NHL lelvel...or he'd get levelled!

As great he was, there was that #88 guy that did that a bit too often. One of the VERY first things I would make sure my players understood and practiced, is keep you head up. I realize this isn't the 90s style of play anymore, but it is still necessary.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

He's a throwback old style enforcer with limited skills. You can throw him out there against a Reaves or a Wilson but I'm not sure if he actually brings much else. 

Would have been a good fit on the old Broadstreet Bully teams. 

Well if anything i hope the kid can push Thompson to the bench.

Because he is just too slow to be affective out there so i would take a 25 year old that can skate and add some sandpaper to the bottom 6 for cheap. If he even gets to play.

But right now Flyers have bigger problems like second line center issues right now.

Looks like the Kraken are on deck. A regulation win is expected....anything less will be a disappointment in my eyes.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1