Game 1: Canucks at Flyers; October 15th @ 7 PM, CSP

Howie58

11 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

True, but my bigger concern is the mindset and overall game of Carter Hart. He HAS to be better.

I agree. First period they dominated the Canucks and then went to sleep for 40 minutes. No puck support, nobody hitting and finishing checks, Hart was shaky throughout - Vancouver knew it they were shooting from every angle on him - getting a point is handy and those were 2 real good goals, nice setups by 14... But from Hart on out that was a poor effort to start the season, home opener no less.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

When you roster and develop guys like laughton, nak, sanheim, then fill in with Seeler (?), Willman (seriously?), and Braun, you aren't going to be successful. Brassard was a waste of oxygen tonight, and JVR is who he's always been. And I hate to say this, I don't know that Lindblom will ever get back to being what he was on track to become

That said, it's hockey. A sport where you can go to sleep for two periods then play hard for two minutes, and still manage a point. Its a long season so maybe this is all over reaction. It was an exciting finish and I loved Giroux's goal. Thats what a Captain is supposed to do

This didn't leave me with the warm and fuzzies. Agreed with others that falling asleep after the first was bad.

Hart's awareness of surroundings was awful. I think Morganti or Jones commented on that. I also wonder if opponents are targeting high glove?

Last point: I think we will see York sooner than later. Let him grow on a third line pairing. I have doubts about the D Corp, with or without Risto. They cant play Ellis and Provo 28 mins plus each game, which they did tonight. They will wear out. 

Edited by Howie58

6 hours ago, FD19372 said:

True, but my bigger concern is the mindset and overall game of Carter Hart. He HAS to be better.

I agree and I was saying it all during last season. My fear is we have lost our franchise goaltender. For a kid that had so much promise, last year may have done irreparable damage. He may never be the prospect he once was. Most of the goalies in the league would outplay Hart now. His confidence is shot and he is currently an average goalie at best. Light years away from a goalie that could carry a team on it's back when needed and not even close to what we need to contend for a Cup. Sigh.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FD19372 said:

He let in some real garbage tonight. I guess the silver lining was he didn't fall apart and got better as the game went on. 

3 hours ago, trevluk said:

I agree and I was saying it all during last season. My fear is we have lost our franchise goaltender. For a kid that had so much promise, last year may have done irreparable damage. He may never be the prospect he once was. Most of the goalies in the league would outplay Hart now. His confidence is shot and he is currently an average goalie at best. Light years away from a goalie that could carry a team on it's back when needed and not even close to what we need to contend for a Cup. Sigh.

It's still early in a goalies career but it's looking that way. It's why most good franchises aren't bringing up 20 year old goalies to be their savior.

The team in front of him isn't any better. There's some really good players, some mediocre and some really bad ones. A Canucks team I don't consider all that great put 39 shots on net. That' doesn't scream great team D Philly. Yandle Yandled two goals in his own end.  Sanheim and Braun didn't give Hart much help on one. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

He let in some real garbage tonight. I guess the silver lining was he didn't fall apart and got better as the game went on. 

Honestly the only goal I really thought was egregious was the rebound off the wall and in behind him.

I'm still not sure how the one with his head being bent back by an elbow isn't goalie interference but I suppose a case can be made for "incidental" contact.

From where I sit he got "beat" once and gave up one bad goal. The other two were scrummy in front and you need your D to step up and clear folks out  Maybe Ristolainen brings that...

My main concern after this game is offense, actually. Half the goals coming on 6-on-5 and virtually no OT pressure at all.

I'm fact, not much "pressure" and possession in the O end at all, much less a coherent offensive presence.

First game, yes - but a loooooong way to go.

A good number of goalies came up too early (you could argue) but then went on to have great careers. Luongo, Price, Fleury, Vasilevsky - I'm sure there's many more. The difference I guess is they didn't join clubs that were drowning in mediocrity and/or didn't get better right away, in that goalie's first or 2nd year.

But "irreparable damage?" I don't know about that. It is looking like that right now as FC said but if the Flyers can start playing disciplined Team D and quit taking entire periods off - Hart can turn it around I think.

If the Flyers manage to ruin Carter Hart I will rethink my fan allegiance (not an easy thing to do). I still haven't forgiven them screwing over Bobrovsky. Bob recovered once he left Philly. He won the Vezina but he should've won it with the Flyers.

9 hours ago, FD19372 said:
9 hours ago, CoachX said:

Brassard was a waste of oxygen tonight

Yep. He's simply here because he knows AV's system. He might win this year's Vandevelde Award, for lack of relevance.

And you are shocked how? (Sarcasm font) I’m not gonna piss and moan over 1 game but I never liked the signing and still don’t.  

there still is plenty of time for him to change my mind…

36 minutes ago, radoran said:

Honestly the only goal I really thought was egregious was the rebound off the wall and in behind him.

I'm still not sure how the one with his head being bent back by an elbow isn't goalie interference but I suppose a case can be made for "incidental" contact.

From where I sit he got "beat" once and gave up one bad goal. The other two were scrummy in front and you need your D to step up and clear folks out  Maybe Ristolainen brings that...

My main concern after this game is offense, actually. Half the goals coming on 6-on-5 and virtually no OT pressure at all.

I'm fact, not much "pressure" and possession in the O end at all, much less a coherent offensive presence.

First game, yes - but a loooooong way to go.

I didn't like his positioning on the 1st goal but Yandle played that like Ristolainen would have. Millers goal was Leightonish...but again, Yandle. I'm not putting all the blame on Hart by any means. The team in front of him is mediocre. 

The Couts to Giroux goal was a thing of beauty though.

I can't say I watched much last night I had intentions...but I got home from work my daughter had a spend the night and well the wife decided she wanted to "practice" so oh well I just seen the highlights.

But I did provide a game link before hand so @CoachX could suffer.

But with the injuries and guys like Seeler and Willman in the lineup combined with Brassard as the 2nd line center (he should be no more than a 3rd line center at best) and slow as Thopson in the lineup well it seemed like a recipe for disaster.

Combine that with the PK still being shaky and a reason for half the goals let's just burn the tape on this one.

I mean Sanheim is already the leader on my trade the f**k out of Philly bandwagon before the game and sure didn't help his cause last night.

However he was paired with sloth Braun on the 2nd pair - yikes!!!!

Braun should never ever be higher than the 3rd pair EVER!

It is what it is. Get better and there is so much to work on.

And I'm not worried about Hart much either.

Get em next game.

:PopcornSmiley2:

We have well bitched and covered game one, so now Im wondering what the plan is moving forward. Some will have to fill me in on injuries, I've lost touch with what has happened in camp. Is Braun/Sanheim a staple we will endure all season? I thought York would be here. What happened to that. Is the Frost kid another poor pick. How is Willman the best option?

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Is Braun/Sanheim a staple we will endure all season?

No I hope to gawd not. Risto is just banged up a little and not sure when he will be back it was put out the other day he could be ready maybe next game.

However the bad news is even when Sanheim is reunited with Risto Sanheim will still more than likely suck donkey balls in his own end it is just he is weak and will maybe never get better in that department I'm afraid.

It is why he will be move the last year of his deal if not sooner when York is ready to be plugged into his spot.

Sorry I know some love Travis but it is coming.

I think they can get a nice young forward for him in a trade though.

And Frost needs to hurry up do Brassard is not the #2 center because he is over his head in that role.

So we'll see what happens by next game.

Someone will be along shortly to defend Sanheim soon...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

it really is disappointing that this franchise misses so often on their draft picks

Yeah we'll he is the other half of the Charmin Twins and you can't paint stripes on a kitty and call him a tiger.

I hope Risto can prove he belongs in Philly or the Flyers could be in need of a whole new second pair or at least another partner for York by next year maybe.

Cross your fingers and hope it doesn't come to that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

it would be nice to start a season, focused on that season. too often we are forced to start while looking, "two years" ahead

Well at least they acknowledged it.

"You've got to be able to play 60 minutes the same way," Provorov said. "That was our biggest problem last year and we're definitely going to work on that."

You can't fix it till you own it and he did that so no go work on it.

A lot is riding on the Flyers this year especially with the Eagles being a total dumpster fire this year.

Please lawd let me have one good team to watch this year...

:beer: