Lundell, Raymond, Perfetti and LaPierre

EmptyShelf

All playing on their NHL clubs.  Two on solid playoff teams (Florida and Washington), one on Winnipeg (a typically solid playoff team) and one on Detroit.  Pretty solid results:  A goal for LaPierre, and an assist for Raymond, and +1 in 15 minutes for Lundell.  Perfetti probably had the slowest night at 0 Pts, -1, and only 9+ minutes.  One player picked before Rossi, and three after (and I am not event including Caulfield, playing already in last playoffs and an easy roster add this year with heavy TOI minutes). 

Yet, with our dumpster fire roster (FAs with one-year contracts), we cannot find a place for Rossi (and likely would not have for Boldy pre-injury), nor Beckman - who outscored them all in pre-season (and with Boldy, was drafted a year earlier than Lundell, Raymond, Perfetti, Caulfield and LaPierre).  So what is my point?  There are other teams that DO NOT play the 'you must earn it in the minors' game.  This is a dated and middling approach to roster development.  I would argue that three of these teams have better rosters and Top 9 than we do. 

Now, let's hear all the excuses about the value of minor league 'top minutes and PP time.'  In a nutshell; it's all bulll$hit to justify the off-season signings.  There are many more examples than just these players over the past three years - I just don't have the time to dig for them.  In any case, we need to get out of the Dark Ages of Roster Management with an extremely restrictive cap coming up.  I bet our offense will be a single line (maybe two) tomorrow and several games until more skill is pulled up - as if these early games don't count the same as the late year games?!??..SMFH

Well Russo aptly pointed out how the Wild can push Rossi's contract back another year by slow playing it and whether you choose to accept it or not its the smart move in terms of money given the team's future cap crunch.  IMO, after missing a season last year with myocarditis I don't blame them for wanting to be careful and giving him time to adjust by hopefully thriving in the AHL.  

As for Boldy, he wasn't exactly tearing it up in pre-season before his injury so I don't think he deserved a roster spot just yet.  

The only one I'd argue got jobbed was Adam Beckman.  Beckman was playing very well.  IMO, the organization made a mistake when it picked up Rem Pitlick off of waivers and just handed him the spot over Beckman.  IMO that made a lot of Guerin's words about 'earning it' seem pretty hollow when they just hand it to Pitlick.  The organization better hope Pitlick starts showing he can be productive or that decision looks even worse.  

Yet what other organizations do to be honest shouldn't matter one bit.  This team isn't a contender, the Wild know that...and they also know it will be extremely tough to be anything close to that for the next four seasons after this one with the dead money from the double buyout.  

It's not an excuse.  Rossi and Boldy are not bottom 6 players and to be 100% honest neither is Adam Beckman.  Top ice time and power play minutes in Iowa should be beneficial for all of them.  The Wild have screwed up more prospects by rushing them into NHL action BEFORE they were really ready.  All we got were mediocre years and confused players as to what their role should be.  

IMO, this is about the long game...and in the next season or two this organization will probably be leaning heavily on all of these young players because the salary cap situation is going to mandate it one way or another.  

• Like 1

I'm torn with the salary cap situation. I don't mind not seeing Rossi and Boldy right now, because they didn't do that much pre-season. But Beckman, good Lord, what do you have to do pre-season to get that spot... I'm pretty sure Beckman will get his chance the minute someone gets injured or plays badly, though. But what to do with the cap issue😅 I'm sure a team will get wrecked the minute everyone is not held accountable. And then how can we pay and keep our prospects when there's no room in the cap. Will the prospects just get sick and tired about the organisation if held down for too long, or will they understand the tight space the Wild is operating in. The only good thing about this is that next time we play the Stars and Isles, I'll have a humongous amount of pure evil HATRED against Suter and Parise. I really hope we win the bastards.

15 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I'm torn with the salary cap situation. I don't mind not seeing Rossi and Boldy right now, because they didn't do that much pre-season. But Beckman, good Lord, what do you have to do pre-season to get that spot... I'm pretty sure Beckman will get his chance the minute someone gets injured or plays badly, though. But what to do with the cap issue😅 I'm sure a team will get wrecked the minute everyone is not held accountable. And then how can we pay and keep our prospects when there's no room in the cap. Will the prospects just get sick and tired about the organisation if held down for too long, or will they understand the tight space the Wild is operating in. The only good thing about this is that next time we play the Stars and Isles, I'll have a humongous amount of pure evil HATRED against Suter and Parise. I really hope we win the bastards.

I would also prefer to see Beckman in the big club instead of Pitlick , Gaudreau, Duhaime. He earned his spot by playing superbly well during 4 preseason games as well as in 2 prospects games against Chicago team during a Kurvers Tournament. And Adam is already 20 years old. Did we have in the Wild history any player who started to play for the big team at the age 18; 19 years old and played lots of games during the 1st season? I do not remember one. Probably, only EEK at the age 19 played 15 games for the big club, who started on a lower lines and then moved up. And now he plays a big role and having a long contract now. Why for any other NHL clubs this is a very common practice to use younger players ? If those players are talented enough they will get a valuable NHL experience right away. Why we are not using this progressive practice? The old time should go away. Probably it is good only for goalies. Hockey is different now, which is much much faster and younger. Hope we will get to that point some day, because this way will help us to find a real treasure and do a better selection. Even 10 years ago , I remember a phrase from the famous former NHL player, as long player is staying in AHL as less chances he will have a spot in NHL. For our team it is happened already with Menell (best AHL;KHL defenseman), Mayhew(best AHL forward), Sokolov (best OHL forward).

I completely agree LIG with you. Pitlick should not get this contract to occupy the Beckman's or someone else (Rossi for example) place. Guerin's words (for youngsters to earn the spot during training camp) were hollow. Why he put his nose but not Evason who should make the decision which player earned the spot? Beckman made even much more than Duhaime for earning that spot. I am sure 100% this will not happened with Jacques Lemaire as a head coach.  

• Like 1

The Wild have had plenty of players play at a young age.

Marian Gaborik (F)- Age 18 - 71g, 36pts

Nick Schultz (D) - Age 18 - 52g, 10pts

Pierre-Marc Bouchard (F) - Age 18 - 50g, 20pts

Stephane Veilleux (F)- Age 21 - 38g, 5pts

Brent Burns (D)- Age 18 - 36g, 11pts

James Sheppard (F) - Age 19 - 78g, 19pts

Colton Gillies (F)- Age 19 - 45g, 7pts

Marco Scandella (D) - Age 20 - 20g, 2pts

Jonas Brodin (D) - Age 18 - 45g, 11pts

Matt Dumba (D) - Age 20 - 58g, 16pts (second year) 

Joel Eriksson-Ek (F) - Age 20 - 15g, 7pts

Jordan Greenway (F) - Age 20 - 81g, 24pts (second year)

They've also had a bunch of players start at 21 and 22. So they do start players at a young age.

Yeah, Beckman probably got jobbed. But I'd rather see Beckman on one of the top lines in Iowa getting big minutes and playing in a lot of situations rather than having Rem Pitlick's spot on the fourth line. Who, by the way, was a healthy scratch last night. Let them develop at their own pace rather than having the Wild FO force them into the NHL. 

• Good Post 1

(shrugs)  While I thought Rask had a good game last night, whether its Rask / Pitlick...IMO its still a line with Kevin Fiala at this point.  Against the Ducks he was active but frustrated through the lack of help.  They were better against the Kings.  

Beckman / Rossi are playing on a line together in Iowa.  They didn't have any points in Saturday's game against Texas.  

Meanwhile Rask and Gaudreau scored last night...so maybe it will work out just fine.  

• Like 2