Game 2: Kraken at Flyers; 10/18/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

6 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I haven't been paying attention, but this got my attention. Obviously, as a pacifist, I don't condone any of this, but how is Risto gonna top this?! 

I can see why this offends you

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

Flyers TCOB against the Cracker.

This next stretch will tell us a lot.

Next two will be tough. Jones has to play one of them right? My luck it will be Saturday because I’m driving in from Rochester for the game…..

25 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Jones has to play one of them right?

If I have my druthers, the first time we see Jones would be in Vancouver. If he plays well, maybe a home debut against Arizona.

Presuming Hart doesn't implode (which I am not expecting nor predicting).

• Like 3

You have to rely on your backup of course but there's no point in throwing him to the wolves. The Flyers can beat Boston or FLA if they get great goaltending. Starting Jones against either one seems like giving up before the puck drops.

Plus if you're driving all the way from Rochester, NY you deserve to see Carter Hart. My goodness that's a long haul.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Plus if you're driving all the way from Rochester, NY you deserve to see Carter Hart. My goodness that's a long haul.

I usually hit one game per year minimum but am actually doing 3 games this year. I definitely DESERVE to see the best roster possible but with my luck AV will want to give Jones a start before they hit the road.

• Like 1

Solid game all around. Many of those new guys looked good, which is nice to see. Hart was decent too. He had a handful of good tests and did well. 

This Seeler kid should just sit down. I'm not a Risto fan by any measure, but I have to think Rasmus means Seeler doesn't see ice time. I mean, Braun is no better, but I don't want two of them on the ice personally. 

Ellis, Cam, and Brassard all made for a nice watch. The expected trio showed up very nicely too, but I want more consistency out of them before I say much. TK seemed to remember how to play hockey again, which is definitely nice. Hopefully he can continue.

I'm cautiously optimistic about getting Hayes back. Despite not being much of a producer, he does bring a lot of the other intangibles. I'm curious if Brassard takes his spot as 2C though. He'd have to keep up his play from last night, but honestly Brassard showed more offensive flair in two games than Hayes did all last season. Offense isn't everything, but it's a nice combo with the more defensively sound Hayes also able to move to the third if we need it and make a bit of a checking line with upside. Honestly that might be what he's best suited to anyway. Brassard was definitely the nicest and most surprising to me in the past games. I honestly didn't expect he'd have the impact he seems to be having.

Hart is obviously the biggest question mark, and it's way too early to make any assessment there. The other big one for me is definitely Risto. I'm not a fan of his body of work at all. I'm hoping somehow it was all a question of poor coaching and AV can make him into a new man. If not, this team better practice their PK a lot more during practices.

Still, I'll take this one. Sure, the Kraken really don't look like much of an NHL team, but kudos to the O&B for playing well against them anyway. It's hardly uncommon for them to play down to weaker competition. It's nice to see them not fall into that trap for at least this game. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Good Post 2

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I'm curious if Brassard takes his spot as 2C though. He'd have to keep up his play from last night, but honestly Brassard showed more offensive flair in two games than Hayes did all last season.

ain't that the sad truth...

Hayes says he was playing through pain, fine I don't doubt him. And he did play better his first year with the Flyers. But I hope it's not an automatic that he's 2C and DB gets kicked to the curb once Hayes is ready to go.

I always liked Brassard back when he was with the NYR. If he's not the player he once was he still brings great vision, good passing and experience/leadership - what the Flyers said they needed and early indications are they did, they do.

• Good Post 1

19 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm curious if Brassard takes his spot as 2C though. He'd have to keep up his play from last night, but honestly Brassard showed more offensive flair in two games than Hayes did all last season.

IMO, if Derrick Brassard is the Flyers' 2C this season, they are in serious trouble.

Brassard has 121 points in his last 261 games dating back to the 17-18 season. He had 20 points in 53 games last season for Arizona. He's a looong way from the 27/58 2016 version that last played under AV.

He looked "fine" against an obviously overmatched, understaffed, expansion team last night. And (again IMO) he wasn't "good" against the Canucks (who also, honestly, aren't a great team).

That said, I'll patiently give him a shot against the Bruins and Panthers and hope for the best.

We're going to find out a lot about this squad over the next dozen games.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Hart is obviously the biggest question mark, and it's way too early to make any assessment there

See, this confuses me. Hart has one bad game and he is criticized,  nit picked and the panic button is pushed. He has a great game, and its too early to make "any assessment"

Some times it's OK to just reflect on one single game without over analyzing and entire season thats yet to happen

Hart played great and had a highlight reel save that was followed by a G goal. I'd say that single save jump started the offense. Yay team. Great win. Hope we see more of this

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

See, this confuses me. Hart has one bad game and he is criticized,  nit picked and the panic button is pushed. He has a great game, and its too early to make "any assessment"

Sure, except he didn't have just one bad game. He had a very bad season last season. 

That's not me saying we need to hit the panic button either, but we're not going anywhere if he doesn't play significantly better than he did last season. Is that all his fault? Probably not, but many of his gaffes last season were really on him. He needs to be better, or this team isn't doing much of anything.

Again, I'm not saying he can't be measurably better. He's very young, and has also had some very strong runs already. I'm simply saying that he *needs* to be better than last season for this to amount to anything more than another season of missed playoffs.

First off, Seattle's road white uniforms might be the best looking kit in any sports league. 

Second, their team looked awful.

Third, the Flyers seemed to not care and played to their capabilities.

Fourth, seems like the old guys were pacifists and the these new guys are okay finding out what's good. 

I was happy to see Seeler and Thompson have a go last night, I'm not a huge fan of fighting in hockey, I tolerate it and last night's scraps showed a toughness that has been lacking from the team in the last 5 years. 

You don't cross check our top line winger, and we don't care how big you are... two pretty good messages sent to the room and the league. 

I think Brassard has been good, he's had a full offseason to prepare for this season and appears to have something left in the tank. I don't think he's the long term 2c solution, he's clearly better than Frost would be and suitable stop gap until Hayesy comes back. Then he'll move down the line up and maybe be more effective.  Today that is 800k well spent IMO.

I don't mind Thompson, I know he's a popular guy to hate on because he's not offensively gifted but he's a glue guy-and he's showing that another voice demanding honest effort and having your back is never a bad thing. 

Only two games in and I see more fight in this group than all of last year's. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, elmatus said:

we're not going anywhere if he doesn't play significantly better than he did last season. Is that all his fault? Probably not, but many of his gaffes last season were really on him.

I'm more confident in him returning to more of the guy we saw in his first 74 games (~.915 SV%) than the guy playing behind a team that had no camp, not much chance to practice, and pretty much quit midway into last season.

Obviously, there's a lot of hockey to go and we'll find out a lot as we go on. I'm expecting the next dozen games or so to shake out a lot of where this team is as a whole.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm more confident in him returning to more of the guy we saw in his first 74 games (~.915 SV%) than the guy playing behind a team that had no camp, not much chance to practice, and pretty much quit midway into last season.

Obviously, there's a lot of hockey to go and we'll find out a lot as we go on. I'm expecting the next dozen games or so to shake out a lot of where this team is as a whole.

That's Carter Hart's 50th career win. Among goaltenders to debut with the

, Hart (23 years, 66 days) is the youngest at the time of the milestone victory.

Hope to see many more.

:PopcornSmiley2:

7 hours ago, elmatus said:

Sure, except he didn't have just one bad game. He had a very bad season last season. 

That's not me saying we need to hit the panic button either, but we're not going anywhere if he doesn't play significantly better than he did last season. Is that all his fault? Probably not, but many of his gaffes last season were really on him. He needs to be better, or this team isn't doing much of anything.

Again, I'm not saying he can't be measurably better. He's very young, and has also had some very strong runs already. I'm simply saying that he *needs* to be better than last season for this to amount to anything more than another season of missed playoffs.

he had one bad game THIS SEASON. I get your point, but let's give the kid a chance. I mean, G has 2 goals, TK has 2 goals, I'm not hearing anyone pointing out they sucked last year....YET!  But to be fair, I am already on the hate train for Laughton and NAK, so maybe I'm not really making a point. But whatever, back to it...

fck it, I lost my groove. I'll just end here 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That's Carter Hart's 50th career win. Among goaltenders to debut with the

, Hart (23 years, 66 days) is the youngest at the time of the milestone victory.

Hope to see many more.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Dude, you put him on a list with cechmanek...that's just hurtful, and MEAN

On 10/18/2021 at 4:56 PM, CoachX said:

Thay song is stupid. I hope any home wins are 1-0 so I don't have to hear that crap more than once

Seriously, how did that win?

Ya at first when I heard it, I was....what the huuck!(in beaver face) but that's the thing....this song is soo Rick Rolled-isc' that if we hate it, how much more funny/funner is it going to be to sling this pooh song to our competition every time we score a goal on them. It's like someone took a dump(the goal song) and flung it in the air and we Lacrossed it toward our enemies....face....

It's meme awful, but in a good way as long as it don't hit us....

Just picture yourself shimming your shoulders in a Vogue way, with an indifference face(look) at your competition as you just lit them up on a goal. And it becomes passable.....but only for 3-5 seconds at most....

• Good Post 1