Game 3: Bruins at Flyers; 10/20/21 @ 7:30 PM, TNT

Howie58

Just now, Howie58 said:

I guess this comes under the "time will tell" gig!   I wish our D youngins had grown faster or in case of Meyers, better.

He's got skill and size. But you can't teach "brains". I'm ok with having him as a 2nd pairing defenceman for now (we'll see how that goes as his big hits to taking himself totally out of the play ratio shakes out). I just hate that Fletcher paid a 1st pairing price for him.

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Have you stopped whining about Ristolainen yet?😀Did he do some head hunting vs Boston?

Did he hit somebody? Yes.

Did he look like someone worth a 13th overall and a 2nd + Ghost + 2 other players...hell no!

The thing about Sanhiem's defending is...it's still a work in progress.

When he's having good shifts I don't notice him in the d-zone because he's winning a race or a board battle and moving the puck. Where I notice him up  ice on a pinch or blowing past a guy in the neutral zone;  He's not actually defending, which I understand is a big part of his job, but when he's playing well he''s not doing it as often. See last night's 3rd period.

I thought Risto got compounded bad luck on the Hall goal. His dump wasn't the from best angle and the puck went right to McAvoy ( I think ) then when he went to change, the linesman was in front of him maybe screening him from Yandle?  Anyway, I didn't think Ristolanen was great, I didn't think he was terrible either.

Lots of people lose track of Marchand around the net. Marchand will get that shot hundreds of times. 

Hey though, overall good win.

Even though the boys chased way more than I would have liked, of those 40 shots maybe 8 were high danger.

The Penalty Kill was solid against a pretty good power play.

The top line chased too much for my liking, but that B's top line is very good and in the 3rd period when it came time to win the game, they found an extra gear and won that game. In the last 4 minutes, drawing that penalty and playing keep away from the Bruins who were trying to get Swayman off for an extra attacker that was some assassin type play from Couturier Giroux and Konecny. 

Jones was solid.

The game reminded me of Hackstol-era teams out-shooting the AV-led Rangers teams and losing 5-3.  

The boys were opportunistic, the mentality to shoot seems to be contagious, Farabee looks ****** great- smart, quick and tenacious. 

Boston isn't the chalk in their division but they're in the top 3 or 4. That was a good win. 

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

When will it stop?

well you hope never- right?

always learning, always improving.

I do think when he's playing well he isn't actually defending much- so when he is defending his errors/opportunities for improvement really stick out. 

I also think this is the year he becomes either a cornerstone or a just a guy. Hard to give up on a dude that can skate the way he can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Meyers a really good skater?

you are not wrong, Myers is a freak.

But...he didn't hit, he didn't get his shot on the net, he didn't lead and join the rush, he passed the puck away from his support, a lot. he watched the opponent make really fancy plays often, but sadly didn't pick up any pointers. He wasn't getting it and didn't appear to be getting it soon enough to suit. 

Travis' problems as reported here are he gets out-muscled in front of the net, and he loses board battles, those are the 2 biggies anyway. There are times when he might be slow to react to something, but compared to Myers he's like a super computer compared to an abacus in the hands of a toddler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Meyers a really good skater?

Yeah, and he was part of the package that got them Ellis.

Point being that those sorts of players have value - especially defencemen in their early/mid-20s - even against shortcomings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

But...he didn't hit, he didn't get his shot on the net, he didn't lead and join the rush, he passed the puck away from his support, a lot. he watched the opponent make really fancy plays often, but sadly didn't pick up any pointers. He wasn't getting it and didn't appear to be getting it soon enough to suit. 

Travis' problems as reported here are he gets out-muscled in front of the net, and he loses board battles, those are the 2 biggies anyway. There are times when he might be slow to react to something, but compared to Myers he's like a super computer compared to an abacus in the hands of a toddler.

This is a valid critique of Myers based solely on last year. Hart, Konecny and Myers' regression were all the evidence I needed that something weird, something beyond hockey was happening to the Flyers last season. Those 3 were poster boys and the poster's title was "WTF?"

It was almost certainly the issues dealing with Covid, which obviously affected the whole league but for whatever reason just destroyed the Flyers. Maybe they were ripe to fall off the cliff who knows...

Anyway my point is when I think of Myers' game I dismiss last year. Completely. I may be wrong but until he proves otherwise I believe Myers has a great career ahead of him as a top pair D-man.

• Like 1

I fully expect our 3 through 6 defenders will ask be replaced this upcoming offseason. I expect Ristolainen, Yandle and Braun walk and Sanheim gets dealt. Instead, the replacements will be York and Zamula and two free agents - John Klingberg and Josh Manson. 

I know some will talk about the cap,  but I also expect that they'll do the unthinkable - they let Giroux walk. 

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

So why the hell didn’t  management  send him to the gym this off-season. He still has the strength of a 98lb weakling

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Did he hit somebody? Yes.

Did he look like someone worth a 13th overall and a 2nd + Ghost + 2 other players...hell no!

Well you will like him.  He is a beast.  Can handle puck and shoot it also.  Getting ready to watch this stinker of a Thursday night game, NFL.  Watching some live look ins on NHL network 

56 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

So why the hell didn’t  management  send him to the gym this off-season. He still has the strength of a 98lb weakling

He was at the gym and rink all summer. 

He has one of the better work ethics of all the players on the team.

I've heard from multiple sources (through pod casts and interviews)that he's a rink rat. 

There was only one Behn Wilson, he's not playing anymore. 

Sanheim isn't that guy, his projected playing partner is though so...

See if you can find some good in the guy's game, there is some.

Or you can continue to wish a fish can climb a tree, up to you. 

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

He was at the gym and rink all summer. 

He has one of the better work ethics of all the players on the team.

I've heard from multiple sources (through pod casts and interviews)that he's a rink rat. 

There was only one Behn Wilson, he's not playing anymore. 

Sanheim isn't that guy, his projected playing partner is though so...

See if you can find some good in the guy's game, there is some.

Or you can continue to wish a fish can climb a tree, up to you. 

I'm not saying he should be Behn Wilson, I just want him to have the strength to win some puck battles and to not get manhandled ny Nathan Gerbe again. I didnt hear anything about him reporting to camp with any added strength/size. So if he hit the gym this summer than that's a good thing. 

25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You can't make me. :biggrin:

OR loves him!  Has him for his avatar.  Enemies entering the zone must deal with him.  He is a big boy.  Tough as nails.  I wish him the best.  Alway liked him and was sad to see him go.  

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

OR loves him!  Has him for his avatar.  Enemies entering the zone must deal with him.  He is a big boy.  Tough as nails.  I wish him the best.  Alway liked him and was sad to see him go.  

I didn't think he was that bad the other night considering he hadn't practiced much and was playing with a new team.

Sure he had the dump in backfire break away goal but I like his physical game.

I hope he can teach Sanheim how to use his size more to his advantage as far as learning to lean on guys and he doesn't have to blow them up. There are ways to out size guys if you play smart.

Risto has a lot to get better at and should be motivated if he doesn't want to be a trade deadline move and get a new contract.

Plenty of time to get better.

:PopcornSmiley2:

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I didn't think he was that bad the other night considering he hadn't practiced much and was playing with a new team.

Sure he had the dump in backfire break away goal but I like his physical game.

I hope he can teach Sanheim how to use his size more to his advantage as far as learning to lean on guys and he doesn't have to blow them up. There are ways to out size guys if you play smart.

Risto has a lot to get better at and should be motivated if he doesn't want to be a trade deadline move and get a new contract.

Plenty of time to get better.

:PopcornSmiley2:

I love him.  Hated losing him. Oh mean, how did this happen.  I hit the wrong damn button

On 10/21/2021 at 8:20 PM, Podein25 said:

Myers a healthy scratch tonight for the Preds vs the Rags, fyi.

They're carrying 8 D-men so I imagine Hynes is shuffling pairs, seeing what works. It always sucks to be healthy scratch but it may not mean he's playing bad it could just mean the Preds are a young team this year with some sorting out to do.

edit: why I'm defending Myers I have no idea lol. I just like him I guess and really would've preferred seeing Sanheim moved instead of Myers - if it had to be one of them that is.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1