Game 3: Bruins at Flyers; 10/20/21 @ 7:30 PM, TNT

Howie58

On 10/21/2021 at 3:24 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

I may be wrong but until he proves otherwise I believe Myers has a great career ahead of him as a top pair D-man.

I disagree, I'm not saying he'll be a bad player, I think a good comparison for his ceiling is post-smashed-face Brayden Coburn who was a solid top 4 player. He didn't see all the big important minutes when games needed winning.

I don't think Myers winds up becoming a player like Adam Pelech whose physical attributes are similar and who's game I really like.

Right now Ristolainen is a significant upgrade over Myers because he is willing to use his frame.

The Flyers absolutely moved the right player when choosing between Myers and Sanheim.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They're carrying 8 D-men so I imagine Hynes is shuffling pairs, seeing what works. It always sucks to be healthy scratch but it may not mean he's playing bad it could just mean the Preds are a young team this year with some sorting out to do.

edit: why I'm defending Myers I have no idea lol. I just like him I guess and really would've preferred seeing Sanheim moved instead of Myers - if it had to be one of them that is.

I like him too, just curious about his development

My impression of #6 is he's closing fast on his ceiling. He doesn't seem to think the game very well in his own end; he's slow to recognize the play when it's coming toward him. And he exits earlier than he should pretty regularly. Maybe that's by design given his offensive skills but I kinda doubt it.

The usual knock on Sanheim is he's stripped of the puck too easily. That should improve this year. But his poor situational awareness on D (if I'm right) is a big liability, one that won't get a whole lot better with time because it's an instinct. He can improve his reads of course but probably the best the Flyers can hope for is he offsets his defensive weakness with points.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well said.

I think they move him while he still has value like they did with Myers.

If you think about it, when York is ready where is he gonna play in the lineup? They will not put York on the third pair and hinder his development . He will be on the second pair with Risto, so where does that leave Sanheim?  They aren’t gonna pay a guy 5 million to play on the third pair, so unless he starts to provide high end offense to offset his defensive deficiencies, I can see him being traded. Wylie, Millman and Morin will probably be the 5-7 guys down the road.