Boogard's Dad on Hayes' death

lynxrattle

I thought I'd link this article:

https://www.tsn.ca/a-decade-after-his-own-loss-len-boogaard-feels-sorrow-and-anger-over-jimmy-hayes-death-1.1708676

All the more respect to Foligno fighting when need be. I'm just hoping the NHL solves the problems, so that the players don't have to risk getting injured while protecting others.

Great read, and this is only the emerged part of the iceberg. I think that no one has been measuring the extent of this problem yet, and we can't call it a 'problem' anymore: it's an H-bomb that the NHL still seem to ignore. It's crazy to have remained at the same point ten years after...

I think this is the sort of thing that Lehner was trying to get out there, albeit not as adroitly as he might have.

The thing about prescription painkillers is that you have to generally have a prescription for them. Much like the Mike Richards situation, team medical staffs have some responsibility here.

Especially after the Richards, Boogaard, etc. situations (again and again) it is irresponsible for teams NOT to be paying attention to this stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know this all too well.

I don't want to discuss to much now at the gym working out and don't want to cry.

It took my mom 8 years ago today.

So later I will come back to discuss further.

That sucks OR...I'm really sorry to hear that. 

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

That sucks OR...I'm really sorry to hear that. 

Thanks bud. I was going to come back and talk some more about my mom yesterday but it was too hard.

Her issues all started when she hurt her back riding on a four wheeler with my dad.

She injured herself and her down fall was believing the doctor is always right and that they would never do anything to harm her intentionally. Well that is certainly debatable but her trust led to her addiction which later took her life at 62 years old.

I had just lost my dad 18 days earlier.

Let's just say 2013 forever changed my life for the worse.

I was hard to watch someone slowly die and give up before your eyes and it seems like you're helpless to fight for them.

Alight I touch on it more later.

It is so crazy to think how many people think a little tiny pill can't hurt you...

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Thanks bud. I was going to come back and talk some more about my mom yesterday but it was too hard.

Her issues all started when she hurt her back riding on a four wheeler with my dad.

She injured herself and her down fall was believing the doctor is always right and that they would never do anything to harm her intentionally. Well that is certainly debatable but her trust led to her addiction which later took her life at 62 years old.

I was hard to watch someone slowly die and give up before your eyes and it seems like you're helpless to fight for them.

It is so crazy to think how many people think a little tiny pill can't hurt you...

I am also so sorry to hear these such a sad parts of humans life. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

My father....doctor, Percocet ="d the end....and that is all i am gonna say about that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

My father....doctor, Percocet ="d the end....and that is all i am gonna say about that.

When i have my next day off...I will share a lengthy heartfelt story about my dad and what pain meds did to him...

Isn't this more about CTE and trying to cope with it as much as anything?  I think all contact sports are in this area of whether their respective leagues can be held liable for hosting events that everyone knows is risky to people's long-term and short-term health.  

To a certain point, I think athletes accept that risk.  As far as addiction to painkillers goes, that's a much bigger issue and not tied to just to sports.  

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your mom.  I'm just as saddened to think about Derek Boogaard's issues and I can understand how anytime another player finds themselves in a similar situation to his son's that Len finds himself re-living that same pain again.