FAB line on fire to start the season

Samifan

I'm seeing a lot of Farabee and Atkinson, with Brassard following up the play (out of breath) and being more defensive allowing those two have more offensive freedom.    If my eyes aren't failing me and I'm not wrong, my concern is Hayes won't do that.  

But for now, it's great to watch for sure.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I'm seeing a lot of Farabee and Atkinson, with Brassard following up the play (out of breath) and being more defensive allowing those two have more offensive freedom.    If my eyes aren't failing me and I'm not wrong, my concern is Hayes won't do that.  

AV has to keep that line together even after Hayes returns. 

1st- G, Coots, TK

2nd/3rd- Farabee, Brassard, Atkinson

2nd/3rd -JVR, Hayes, Lindblom

4th- Laughton, Thompson, XXXXX

NAK, MacEwen and that Charlie Brown guy can battle it out for 4th line wing or popcorn concierge 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

Hayes also doesn't pass as much. Which takes away from Farabee, and moreso, Atkinsons shoot-first mentality.

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

AV has to keep that line together even after Hayes returns. 

Presuming that the line continues that level of productivity, they'd be fools not to.

A decision that doesn't need to be made for another 4-6 weeks (at least).

Also pending how effective Hayes is once he's back on the ice.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Samifan said:

Farabee, Atkinson, Brassard killing it so far!

My take on the line…

jim lot GIF

One thing is for sure, this is the most exciting Flyers hockey I have seen in years. I would like to see Morin take Brauns job and give us another hitter on the blue line and I think Allison would be a clutch PP guy and give us size and skill on the wing, we do not have any big  physical wingers with skill.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:25 PM, RonJeremy said:

I would like to see Morin take Brauns job and give us another hitter on the blue line

Do you actually believe Morin will ever play for the Flyers again? I thought I was the last holdout bc I always did think he'd make it back - right up until this latest injury. I feel for the guy I really do. When he finally did get a few games with the Flyers I thought he fit in well. But at this point ... it'd be a story to rival Oscar's if he could come back and establish himself as an NHL defenseman.

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Do you actually believe Morin will ever play for the Flyers again? I thought I was the last holdout bc I always did think he'd make it back - right up until this latest injury. I feel for the guy I really do. When he finally did get a few games with the Flyers I thought he fit in well. But at this point ... it'd be a story to rival Oscar's if he could come back and establish himself as an NHL defenseman.

His latest injury is a cleanup of his previous surgery. We have to give Morin credit, he has not quit and still has a great attitude. Most people would have thrown in the towel with all he has been through.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's interesting...trying to get Lindblom going, demoting Farabee. Makes sense those lines need a shakeup. The early chemistry on Brassard's line evaporated and Lindblom is wasted with Laughton in the middle. Granted Laughton brings more than the stats tell but he is just not a playmaker. 11 games, 3 goals and 0 assists. Zero As that's crazy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well that's interesting...trying to get Lindblom going, demoting Farabee. Makes sense those lines need a shakeup. The early chemistry on Brassard's line evaporated and Lindblom is wasted with Laughton in the middle. Granted Laughton brings more than the stats tell but he is just not a playmaker. 11 games, 3 goals and 0 assists. Zero As that's crazy.

I suggested moving Lindblom or JVR to the first line LW ,moving G to second line center, Brassard to third line center and Laughton to LW. G is having a big start so far and the offense should be spread out and maybe his play will help the second line. Putting Farabee on the third line is an imbecile move.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Putting Farabee on the third line is an imbecile move.

with the way he's playing I'm not so sure - it may be just what he needs: fewer minutes, a bit of a wakeup call. He needs something because he's way too tentative the past handful of games.

Screwing around with the top line would be imbecilic imho as that's the only line delivering on a regular basis. I understand your thinking and it makes perfect sense (not calling you imbecilic!) - it's something to consider but not yet. Right now this one small swap is probably best.

Going by last night - sure - it's tempting to upset the whole apple cart. But looking at all 11 games I think it's better to keep G where he is, let him keep on tearing it up.

This may be related to ol' Haysey coming back, apparently against the Stars. That will further shake up the lines, probably moving Brassard (who left practice early today according to Meltzer) down to the third and Laughton to W.

They really need a 2A/2B line setup rather than a traditional "3" IMO. There's no way a line that has JVR and Farabee/Lindblom on it is a traditional "shutdown" 3.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, radoran said:

This may be related to ol' Haysey coming back, apparently against the Stars. That will further shake up the lines, probably moving Brassard (who left practice early today according to Meltzer) down to the third and Laughton to W.

They really need a 2A/2B line setup rather than a traditional "3" IMO. There's no way a line that has JVR and Farabee/Lindblom on it is a traditional "shutdown" 3.

I feel we need a creative playmaking center for the second line and Brassard certainly is not that , you want a center who is going to improve the wingers and set them up with good scoring opportunities. So , unless we move G  to second line C or Frost turns it up a few notches ,we are gonna have problems with the offense all year. Hayes is a step up from Brassard but he is a better fit on the third line. He’s coming off two surgeries and a long layoff. Someone mentioned having a traditional  shutdown third line …Hayes ,Brassard and maybe Allison can be a physical third line with some offense skill. The third line we have now is totally mismatched . JVR is a finisher and he needs a skilled center to set him up or you may as well not even play him.  

20 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

we need a creative playmaking center for the second line and Brassard certainly is not that

'twould be nice and maybe Hayes coming back is a shot in the arm offensively - I'm inclined to think not since he was never a consistent threat to begin with...now the injuries and the extended layoff...frankly I'd stick with Brassard as 2C. Hopefully Lindblom and Atkinson spark that line.

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

frankly I'd stick with Brassard as 2C. Hopefully Lindblom and Atkinson spark that line.

They don't really have much of a choice as they abjectly refuse to consider their former "natural" 1C as a potential center option.

I would say they have four more than competent middle/top six wingers in Lindblom/Atkinson/JVR/Farabee and they have Brassard and Laughton at the moment as their centers. Between them they have five assists in 11 games.

To your point, Hayes - who was the "must have, got to sign, here's a seven year deal" second line center - has never really been an offensive dynamo.

For an organization* that has drafted five centers in the past five years in the 1st and 2nd rounds, they don't have any real depth at the position. (Yes, I know "reasons" that all five haven't panned out...).

46 minutes ago, radoran said:

They don't really have much of a choice as they abjectly refuse to consider their former "natural" 1C as a potential center option.

I would say they have four more than competent middle/top six wingers in Lindblom/Atkinson/JVR/Farabee and they have Brassard and Laughton at the moment as their centers. Between them they have five assists in 11 games.

To your point, Hayes - who was the "must have, got to sign, here's a seven year deal" second line center - has never really been an offensive dynamo.

For an organization* that has drafted five centers in the past five years in the 1st and 2nd rounds, they don't have any real depth at the position. (Yes, I know "reasons" that all five haven't panned out...).

What's David Ayres doing?  Sign him to play center.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, ruxpin said:

JVR is my new/old whipping boy.   I was looking for someone to focus on and he...um...wins.

He's been my whipping boy since we drafted him and I started streaming UNH games. Always the biggest, most talented floater on the ice. Every...single...game.