Raymond hat trick 10/24/21

Brewin Flames

Detroit Red Wings rookie Lucas Raymond scores hat trick in sixth career game

CH

CHICAGO --Detroit Red Wings rookie Lucas Raymond had plenty of energy in the second half of his first set of consecutive NHL games.

It's good to be 19.

Raymond had three goals and an assist, and the Red Wings beat the winless Chicago Blackhawks 6-3 on Sunday night.

Tyler Bertuzzi added a goal and two assists as Detroit bounced back nicely after a 6-1 loss at Montreal on Saturday night. Carter Rowney and Vladislav Namestnikov also scored, and Alex Nedeljkovic made 32 saves.

Raymond, the No. 4 overall pick in last year's draft, recorded his first career hat trick in his sixth NHL game. It was the first time he played on back-to-back nights with Detroit.

"I've only played six games in the NHL, so playing [on] a lot of adrenaline and everything's new to me," he said. "Just trying to go out there every night and have fun and help the team win."

Raymond became the second teenager in franchise history to record a hat trick, joining Hall of Famer and current Detroit general manager Steve Yzerman.

He became the third teenager to record at least four points in a game for the Red Wings, joining Yzerman and Hall of Famer Gordie Howe.

"It's tough to take in," Raymond said. "I mean those are two of the greatest players who ever played in franchise history."

Raymond began the day with one goal and two assists in five career games.

Edited by Brewin Flames

Crashing the net, putting himself in a position to pick up a rebound and fire it in, fantastic stuff for a teenager, but the third one, on the power play an absolute LASER from Ovie's office was something. My jaw dropped! We have had guys like Frk who can fire it that hard but have no idea where the puck is going, now we have someone with a cannon who knows where it is going, first Wing like that since..... Hossa?  the Mule maybe? Z and Magic were finess, nice to see a pure goal scorer finally on the Wings. We may not be good but we will be fun to watch anyway, lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Crashing the net, putting himself in a position to pick up a rebound and fire it in, fantastic stuff for a teenager, but the third one, on the power play an absolute LASER from Ovie's office was something. My jaw dropped! We have had guys like Frk who can fire it that hard but have no idea where the puck is going, now we have someone with a cannon who knows where it is going, first Wing like that since..... Hossa?  the Mule maybe? Z and Magic were finess, nice to see a pure goal scorer finally on the Wings. We may not be good but we will be fun to watch anyway, lol

Couldn’t agree more, especially with your last sentence.

But honestly, you watch this kid play, and he’s seeing the ice. He’s threading passes. Sometimes the passes are even surprising the recipients somewhat, like, “Oh snap! Look what I found on my stick!” Blashill calls him a cerebral player, and you can see why. He thinks ahead of the game, and deftly outmaneuvers defenders with some of his puck handling because he’s anticipating well. How Gretzky said it, “Go to where the puck is GOING to be, not where it is.” The kid gets that.

He and Seider are both impressive for their age, just how smart they are with the puck, not that they haven’t made some mistakes. Of course they have. But you can see the hockey gears turning in their heads driving how they play. They are going to be fun to watch for years! And it’s exciting when you have something to get excited about when you haven’t really had much to get excited about for a long time.

We are due!

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Couldn’t agree more, especially with your last sentence.

But honestly, you watch this kid play, and he’s seeing the ice. He’s threading passes. Sometimes the passes are even surprising the recipients somewhat, like, “Oh snap! Look what I found on my stick!” Blashill calls him a cerebral player, and you can see why. He thinks ahead of the game, and deftly outmaneuvers defenders with some of his puck handling because he’s anticipating well. How Gretzky said it, “Go to where the puck is GOING to be, not where it is.” The kid gets that.

He and Seider are both impressive for their age, just how smart they are with the puck, not that they haven’t made some mistakes. Of course they have. But you can see the hockey gears turning in their heads driving how they play. They are going to be fun to watch for years! And it’s exciting when you have something to get excited about when you haven’t really had much to get excited about for a long time.

We are due!

I have told everyone that if nothing else we will be interesting. I see us with 84, 85 points but entertaining. After the last four years I will absolutely take it.