Gambrell trade a bit of a head scratcher

Dylan Gambrell was traded earlier today by the Sharks to the Sens for a 7th rounder in the upcoming draft.

Not gonna lie, I really dont get this, Gambrell was a 2nd rounder a few years ago and yes, he has not developed as they had hoped but hisAHL numbers are nearly a point a game and his NHL numbers while not good arent that bad. 

Over the past two seasons he has appeared in 99 NHL games with 10 goals and 23 total points mostly as a 4th line center. His faceoff percentage has been dreadful, among the worst of anyone taking regular draws, his Corsi and Fenwick show a below average player who should be repalced.

AND YET.....

The striking fact to me is he took nearly two thirds of all draws in the defensive zone, so his offensive ability was never properly flushed out. For his career he has taken over 61 percent of all draws in enemy territory, last year it was a crazy high 65.3 percent.

I think he has been used wrong, a young kid on a struggling veteran team asked to take draws in enemy territory when he clearly has not mastered the art of playing center. His near point a game in the AHL says he has some abillity. He was asked to do to much. I think if I were Ottawa the things I would do are: 1) move him to the wing, a less pressure position and 2) move him to the third line and give him a clearly defined easier role. In San Jose he was a penalty killer and clearly over his head, in the right scenario I think he could be a 15 goal man with 35plus points. Frank Vatrano type of career if you will. Not saying he will just saying the Sharks may have just did him a favor giving him a chance to see what else he can do.

• Like 1

I dunno yave. Ive seen plenty of Gambrell and he gets physically pushed around at NHL level and isn't particularly good at anything except occasional PK. They gave him chances in the top 9, even top 6 a bunch of times during the last 2 years. He always got pushed to the 4th or bench. At this point Dahlin, Eklund, barbanov are all far superior and there are only so many spots for kids

Not sure why his AHL success doesn't translate to the NHL as I don't see many  barracuda games

If anything this means Weatherby has claimed that 4th line C spot for good and Wilson likes Gambrell enough to want to put him somewhere to have a chance. Ottawa has injuries to their 2nd, 3rd and 4th and 5th line centers lol. This is a warm body to get them through a crisis

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 2