Are Flames Out of Eichel sweepstakes? UPDATE: Eichel Not Going to Calgary

Buffalo Rick

Calgary was a front runner but now maybe not?  We are not giving Jackie Boy away!!!  Maybe the speedy Ducks now make more sense.  But I still say Eichel is playing with fire having a surgery never done on an NHL player. Wish he would have fusion and play here

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Uggh... 1

The Sabres are better off without him now and will be in the future. He’s an arrogant  prima donna that despite what he said publicly, never wanted to play in Buffalo to begin with. How many coaches and GMs has he run off? He will never put the Blue and Gold sweater on again.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 9:18 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Calgary was a front runner but now maybe not?  We are not giving Jackie Boy away!!!  Maybe the speedy Ducks now make more sense.  But I still say Eichel is playing with fire having a surgery never done on an NHL player. Wish he would have fusion and play here

I don't think Calgary was ever the frontrunner, but anyways I think Eichel took himself out of any frontrunning by showing up unfit for training camp this year and by his unwillingness to work with his team to find best compromise for all parties involved.

I don't like players that try to have more control than their coaches and general managers and owners etc over their teams, all that selfishness that works in the NBA where one player can make more of a difference than in other team sports, emphasizes selfishness over teamwork.

My opinion aside, I do agree that Eichel has the right not to play if he don't want to - he's not a slave, but I have the right not to like his selfish attitude either and also have the right to be of the option that it's better to have unselfish players than selfish ones like him and Lindros etc.

The way things going, because of Eichel purposely having his agents make media statements that cause his value to drop, Buffalo probably spite him let him sit unpaid until contact ends then just trade him as restricted free agent for whatever they can get - why would any team overpay now that they see what a problem child Eichel is? Since it's a gamble with his injury anyways, trading for him won't immediately help any team, it's take a risk and trade for him and who knows when he'll play if ever of surgery goes bad.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

3 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

showing up unfit for training camp

Guy has a fractured vertebrae in his neck - not like he was on the pierogie and beer diet.

3 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

let him sit unpaid until contact ends

He's getting paid. The same CBA that says the team has the ultimate decision on his medical treatment requires that he get paid while having a hockey-related injury.

He's just not on their cap.

$50M is a lot to spend on "spite" but I wouldn't put it entirely past the Pegulas. That said, the primary reason they want him to get the "usual" surgery on the neck was to safeguard their investment (and now to retain trade value).

Never liked Eichel. Still don't. He's not a $10M player and is the poster child for a team paying for what they want a player to be, not what the player is.

Meanwhile, the team is demanding top trade value and refusing to retain any cap hit. It might not be "spite" that keeps him on the IR in Buffalo as much as it is "stupidity."

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

Meanwhile, the team is demanding top trade value and refusing to retain any cap hit. It might not be "spite" that keeps him on the IR in Buffalo as much as it is "stupidity."

Remember at the end of the day;

Buffalo is gonna Buffalo :smallTM:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

not like he was on the pierogie and beer diet.

Do not knock the Jake Voracek training routine till you tried it what else you think helped him play 15 years in the best league in the world.

He attributes that to the main things helping him put up his 5 assists -2 this screw creatine...

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

I don't think Calgary was ever the frontrunner, but anyways I think Eichel took himself out of any frontrunning by showing up unfit for training camp this year and by his unwillingness to work with his team to find best compromise for all parties involved.

I don't like players that try to have more control than their coaches and general managers and owners etc over their teams, all that selfishness that works in the NBA where one player can make more of a difference than in other team sports, emphasizes selfishness over teamwork.

My opinion aside, I do agree that Eichel has the right not to play if he don't want to - he's not a slave, but I have the right not to like his selfish attitude either and also have the right to be of the option that it's better to have unselfish players than selfish ones like him and Lindros etc.

The way things going, because of Eichel purposely having his agents make media statements that cause his value to drop, Buffalo probably spite him let him sit unpaid until contact ends then just trade him as restricted free agent for whatever they can get - why would any team overpay now that they see what a problem child Eichel is? Since it's a gamble with his injury anyways, trading for him won't immediately help any team, it's take a risk and trade for him and who knows when he'll play if ever of surgery goes bad.

Agree with much of what you and Sanifan say, but I had this surgery.  At 39.  And I came out fine with a fusion.  Of course I wasn’t playing hockey at that age.  But he should get it done soon or he might be like that number one pick the Raiders had, that crack head that stole their money and never played a game.  

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Are Flames Out of Eichel sweepstakes? UPDATE: Eichel Not Going to Calgary