Eichel to Vegas for Tuch, Krebs, Picks

Vegas Golden Knights Acquire Jack Eichel

NOVEMBER 4, 2021 AT 8:39 AM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE 

After months of speculation, negotiations, and public frustration, the Jack Eichel saga in Buffalo has come to an end. The Vegas Golden Knights and Buffalo Sabres have both officially announced a trade that will take Eichel to the desert. He will go to Vegas along with a 2023 third-round pick, in exchange for forwards Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, a 2022 first-round pick, and a 2023 second-round pick.

The first-round selection is top-10 protected and the Sabres did not retain any salary. Should the pick end up in the top 10 after this year’s lottery, the Golden Knights will send their 2023 first-round and 2024 second-round picks instead of the ones listed. In that case, the Sabres’ 2023 third-round selection that is included would also become a 2024 third-rounder. Basically, if it ends up in the top 10, all three picks bump forward a year.

For Buffalo fans, seeing a frustrated first-line center shipped out of town for a collection of assets is certainly familiar but this deal is not the same as the one that took Ryan O’Reilly from them a few years ago.

In that deal, the best young player the team received was Tage Thompson, as both Patrik Berglund and Vladimir Sobotka were established talents already on their way out of the league. This time in Tuch and Krebs, the Sabres have secured two players that are still improving and should be able to help the club for much longer.

USATSI_16008452-210x300.jpgTuch, 25, is in the third season of a seven-year, $33.25MM contract that already appears to be one of the most reasonable deals in the league. The 6’4″ forward is a blend of size and skill that’s incredibly difficult to find, and has shown an ability to score at a high level even with limited opportunity. In 55 games last season he scored 18 goals and 33 points despite his most common linemates at even strength being Nicolas Roy and Keegan Kolesar.

In Buffalo, he very well could see much better offensive deployment and end up lining up in the top-six. That’ll have to wait a few months though, as Tuch is recovering from offseason surgery and isn’t expected back in the lineup until January.

Krebs meanwhile will likely step directly into the Sabres forward group, where he’ll take the next steps of his professional career. Still just 20, Krebs was the 17th overall pick in 2019 and has already reached the NHL. While he has yet to score a goal in his 13 career games, there are obvious signs that he can be a valuable contributor and adds another option at center ice for Buffalo.

Adding another first-round pick means the Sabres now have three selections this year after they had already acquired one from the Florida Panthers. Given how many top prospects they already have in the organization, there’s a real chance that Buffalo could have a very quick turnaround and start competing in the next few years.

The question now becomes whether that turnaround will be navigated properly. Buffalo has now seemingly run another star player out of town with poor management and coaching choices, resulting in a situation that could only be resolved by trade. The old adage “whoever gets the best player in the deal, wins” could apply here, as Eichel is certainly a level above Tuch or Krebs when healthy.

Healthy is the concern now for Vegas, but the Golden Knights must obviously believe in the disk replacement surgery that Eichel is after. Whenever he does go under the knife, he still faces a months-long recovery, meaning he won’t be on the ice at T-Mobile for quite some time.

USATSI_15477301-234x300.jpgWhen he does return though, Eichel is exactly the kind of first-line center that the Golden Knights have been looking for since they came into existence. The team has gotten by with the exceptional two-way play of William Karlsson and have worked to turn Chandler Stephenson into a legitimate top-six force, but have never had a player like Eichel that can drive offense at an elite level.

In 375 career games, Eichel has 355 points including breaking the point-per-game threshold in both 2018-19 and 2019-20. He can score at even-strength and on the powerplay–the latter of which is currently 0-18 for the Golden Knights–while logging huge minutes in the middle of the ice. In 2020, Eichel finished eighth in Hart Trophy voting, after scoring 36 goals and 78 points in 68 games.

Of course, to land Eichel the Golden Knights not only had to part with several assets, but will also have to carry his $10MM cap hit for this season and four more. A full no-movement clause also comes into effect next season, as does another $7.5MM signing bonus.

The Golden Knights have continuously flirted with the salary cap upper limit, but will now be carrying three players who have a cap hit of at least $8.8MM for the next several years.

Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic tweets that there were actually three teams in the Eichel sweepstakes until the end. The Golden Knights, Calgary Flames and, perhaps surprisingly, Carolina Hurricanes all stayed in the talks.

The NHL insider does admit that the Hurricanes weren’t close but doesn’t specify whether the Flames ever got near a deal. The report about Matthew Tkachuk yesterday was likely a way to make Vegas put their final offer on the table.

While the winner and loser of today’s deal will be discussed for years to come, one clear beneficiary of the deal is Eichel himself. While the Sabres were holding out for the biggest package possible, the 25-year-old center was dealing with a serious neck injury that needed surgery. Now, finally, he will be able to get his preferred treatment and hopefully resume his career.

• Good Post 1

20 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Because, based on your statement, one might, you know, assume that you have never in fact seen Tuch play, especially his last two years in Vegas.

Rock on man.

I pick up Tuch every year in fantasy and think he will break out and every year I drop him within 2 weeks.

He's 25 and his best season is 20 goals and 52 points. That was 2 years ago. It's been "meh" since. He's a solid middle 6 option Ala donskoi, but not likely to ever be a top line player. He failed when given the opportunity at top line several times.

Unless he is a super late bloomer.

Peyton Krebs is a loss. Guy has offensive potential for days

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Thank god that the Flames balked on this deal....

Why?  Because you might win the Cup?  Without him the road is tougher.  The Flames 🔥 should have went all in.  I like the way the Flames are playing and believe it or not I like them unlike most other teams.  I truly hope they keep winning but they should have pulled the trigger on Jack.  I’m stuck with an Eichel jersey I’ve never worn.  She pissed.  But I do like some of our upcoming talent.  Powers, Tuch and the kid we just sent to Rochester and Quinn.  

18 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Why?  Because you might win the Cup?  Without him the road is tougher.  The Flames 🔥 should have went all in.  I like the way the Flames are playing and believe it or not I like them unlike most other teams.  I truly hope they keep winning but they should have pulled the trigger on Jack.  I’m stuck with an Eichel jersey I’ve never worn.  She pissed.  But I do like some of our upcoming talent.  Powers, Tuch and the kid we just sent to Rochester and Quinn.  

No because Eichel doesn't fit Sutter style hockey and Sutter style system, which simply is shut up and do what Sutter says - judging from the media, Eichel doesn't listen if he doesn't want to.

He more like LeBron James who want free reign to do whatever he want, instead of following orders.

Also, even though Tkachuk wasn't offered contrary to the rumours, I wouldn't be happy trading anything else with his health being questionable.

Like you, I like Calgary the way they are now, no changes - I think the tough Sutter players out together now can go far.

I agree Eichel is second best after McJesus, when healthy though, and if he gets healthy again Los Vegas will have easily won the trade since they didn't lose their core players - and Buffalo probably just keep getting bad luck again...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

No because Eichel doesn't fit Sutter style hockey and Sutter style system, which simply is shut up and do what Sutter says - judging from the media, Eichel doesn't listen if he doesn't want to.

He more like LeBron James who want free reign to do whatever he want, instead of following orders.

Also, even though Tkachuk wasn't offered contrary to the rumours, I wouldn't be happy trading anything else with his health being questionable.

Like you, I like Calgary the way they are now, no changes - I think the tough Sutter players out together now can go far.

I agree Eichel is second best after McJesus, when healthy though, and if he gets healthy again Los Vegas will have easily won the trade since they didn't lose their core players - and Buffalo probably just keep getting bad luck again...

That depends.  Tuch will be good playing for his childhood team.  The question is the kid sent to Rochester.  I know he played with Cozens.  He will again and Quinn will be called up and Powers is coming.  Two number one picks in a string draft coming.  I watched two cappers today say that Calgary will go South later.  I hope not but they could.  Your depth is not great and I’d rather be in our shoes moving forward.  

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

That depends.  Tuch will be good playing for his childhood team.  The question is the kid sent to Rochester.  I know he played with Cozens.  He will again and Quinn will be called up and Powers is coming.  Two number one picks in a string draft coming.  I watched two cappers today say that Calgary will go South later.  I hope not but they could.  Your depth is not great and I’d rather be in our shoes moving forward.  

Buffalo does have alot of picks now and alot of potential in the future, but as for this year I'm gonna have to stick to liking Calgary to go farther than Buffalo, I like Calgary to make the playoffs and even get to next round or further - this year I still don't think Buffalo makes the playoffs despite their strong start.

As for the experts saying Calgary flops this year, I'll be betting against them this year. Calgary not a great team and is say depth is good not great, but the Sutter factor pushes them into the playoffs in betting - it's like if Buffalo had Lindsy Ruff or Ted Nolan again.

Edited by Villella McMeans

16 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And that isn't even your biggest problem. 

It's gonna take a while for your Sabres to get a talent of his caliber, say like 20 years. So hold on to that jersey.

• Like 1

Let's keep the posting to the topic at hand, shall we?

The completely unnecessary chest puffing and people getting all bent out of shape over nothing is not needed nor wanted here.
If ya got something to say about the trade, then fine, if not, shuffle on.

People CAN disagree with others' opinions, but taking to personal levels is not.
Making assumptions as to what others are thinking, or why, isn't appreciated either and not at all relevant to the thread.

Just stick to what was posted, on topic, and about the opinion, not the persons.
Can't believe that STILL has to be explained to some people.

All of this is of the "if the shoe fits wear it" variety.
If it doesn't apply to you, wonderful. Fantastic.
If you think it does, maybe dial it back a bit.

Carry on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Buffalo does have alot of picks now and alot of potential in the future, but as for this year I'm gonna have to stick to liking Calgary to go farther than Buffalo, I like Calgary to make the playoffs and even get to next round or further - this year I still don't think Buffalo makes the playoffs despite their strong start.

As for the experts saying Calgary flops this year, I'll be betting against them this year. Calgary not a great team and is say depth is good not great, but the Sutter factor pushes them into the playoffs in betting - it's like if Buffalo had Lindsy Ruff or Ted Nolan again.

They have guys in the organization right now that can help.  3 first round picks

I can appreciate the whole "they have three first rounders" next year perspective.

But I also have the perspective that of Buffalo's first rounders between 2008 and 2016 they traded away all of them except Girgensons.

That's eleven first round pick players that they dealt.

Myers, Ennis, Kassian, Pysyk, Armia, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Reinhart, Eichel, Nylander.

For that matter, over the same period they have one second round pick that is still on the roster - Asplund.

This for a team with two playoff appearances - both first round losses a decade ago - over that entire stretch. A "rebuilding" team that simply never "rebuilt." (cue: b-b-b-b-b-b-but th-th-th-th-the Flyers to which one might note the eight Flyer 1/2 draft picks on the current roster).

For all of my long-suffering friends in Buffalo, I hope this turns around for them. But that's some seriously impressive top level ineptitiude right there...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, radoran said:

I can appreciate the whole "they have three first rounders" next year perspective.

But I also have the perspective that of Buffalo's first rounders between 2008 and 2016 they traded away all of them except Girgensons.

That's eleven first round pick players that they dealt.

Myers, Ennis, Kassian, Pysyk, Armia, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Reinhart, Eichel, Nylander.

For that matter, over the same period they have one second round pick that is still on the roster - Asplund.

This for a team with two playoff appearances - both first round losses a decade ago - over that entire stretch. A "rebuilding" team that simply never "rebuilt." (cue: b-b-b-b-b-b-but th-th-th-th-the Flyers to which one might note the eight Flyer 1/2 draft picks on the current roster).

For all of my long-suffering friends in Buffalo, I hope this turns around for them. But that's some seriously impressive top level ineptitiude right there...

Some made sense to be dealt and in arrogant Eichel's case he had to be dealt, he is taking a chance on this surgery. NO NHL PLAYER HAS EVER HAD IT.  Do you understand that part?  In defense of the Sabres management?  Eichel is not a doctor.  Obviously someone got to him. Someone convinced him. I tired to reach him in vain to see a neurosurgeon in Rochester NY, who did work at the Philly childrens hospital, an esteemed place just like the University of Rochester Medical center.  But the arrogant prick was not taking calls. Just selling jerseys.  And I have one never worn. I might go to a game with it wrapped in plastic and sell it for twenty bucks.  I think Ill get that because its an NHL jersey and there is a market for ex players jerseys.  I see them worn all the time.  Hell at Bills games I see people wearing Bryce Paup.  I would not be caught dead in it.  Just like I do not really want to wear this one now.  Back to the trade of the decade, there are varying opinions out there.  The most common and correct one of course is nobody really " won" the trade.  People always want a simple answer. There is NO SIMPLE ANSWER ON THIS ONE.  If he comes out of it 80% of his former self some say they still won. Oh, but what if Krebs scores 30 goals next year?  And Tuch is going to do just as well and I would bet better because he is playing for the team he dreamed of playing for.  He is a Sabres fan through and through.  So Krebs and how successful he is may determine who "wins" this trade.  We had a gun held to our head.   The gun was a Jack Eichel special.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You are really enjoying this aren't you  Doc?

What the hell does that mean?

You where talking about all the Sabres draft picks… i post a visual to help everyone, including you, see what picks the Sabres have acquired in the upcoming draft(s).

I had no idea some of the picks were conditional.  Visual learning is sometimes the best type of learning….

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I had no idea some of the picks were conditional.

They're conditional in that if Vegas or Florida wind up as one of the worst 1/3 of teams in the league this year they get moved to the next year.

Spoiler alert...

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

In defense of the Sabres management?

You know you're defending management decisions made by executives who are no longer with the organization* that you celebrated when they departed?

• Good Post 2