Evander Kane (poll) what will happen after suspension is over?

What will (not should) happen to kane when suspension is over?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What will (not should) happen to Kane when his 20 game suspension is over?

• Sharks welcome him back and he plays out the year
    • Someone takes him at a bargain basement deal in a trade
    • Sharks suspend him with pay for the remainder of the year

This question is what WLL happen, not what SHOULD. The Sharks are at 11 games, Kane is suspended for 20 games the league and players association have essentially said after the 20 games are up he is the Sharks problem, not theirs. 

I gave 3 choices, one is that he will be welcomed back by the team to play out the year

next I put someone takes him on trade, likely with the Sharks eating massive salary and getting little in return

The third option is the Sharks suspend him with pay for the remainder of the season.

I love Kane on the ice, he is a unique talent, first man since Toiger Williams 40 years ago to score 30 goals and lead the league in PIMs, but off the ice the man is a car wreck that crashed into a dumpster fire. 

There is no easy decision to make here. 

The issue with a "bargain basement trade" - on top of the Whole Thing - is the three more years at $7M per.

I cannot see him being "welcomed back" to the Sharks.

I can see a situation where they find a way to void/buyout the contract and someone else signs him for the rest of the year.

The NHLPA has a typical, ill-considered freakout, the Sharks pay instead of retaining salary, and the player is free to sign with whatever mess of an organization* would sign him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The issue with a "bargain basement trade" - on top of the Whole Thing - is the three more years at $7M per.

I cannot see him being "welcomed back" to the Sharks.

I can see a situation where they find a way to void/buyout the contract and someone else signs him for the rest of the year.

The NHLPA has a typical, ill-considered freakout, the Sharks pay instead of retaining salary, and the player is free to sign with whatever mess of an organization* would sign him.

Well lets see... teams that would consider signing him would be the type who are either fighting for their playoff lives or those who think they are almost a contender and with Kane could make a run....

Nashville? Always in need of offense.

Toronto? Heh. Heh. Really.

Vegas? Depleted roster. What could go wrong in sin city... oh wait

Bruins? Probably too smart but the chemistry in Boston is way off this year.

Penguins? Dont look now but they are on last place.

Devils? Actually this makes a bit of sense to me, Wood is gone for the year

Dallas or Colorado? Colorado all kinds of beat up, Dallas just plain boring and needs a spark.

Honestly, the list is a bit longer than I thought Vancouver could prpbably be on it too. Fair to say we can rule out Winnipeg, lol. 

So the next question, Sharks buy him out, he promises to be good and contrite, your team (Flyers/Wings/Wild, whoever) has a need and he can be had on the cheap, for this year only do you take the chance? 

38 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

teams that would consider signing him would be the type who are either fighting for their playoff lives or those who think they are almost a contender and with Kane could make a run....

Pens might make sense on a short term basis. Especially once Crosby/Malkin are back as the veteran leaders.

39 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

your team (Flyers/Wings/Wild, whoever) has a need and he can be had on the cheap, for this year only do you take the chance? 

Oh, hell no.

Flyers have made the roster shakeup that was needed. No need to add this distraction by addition.

49 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Dallas just plain boring and needs a spark.

Hehe, you're damn right. But we don't have cap space, we still have to figure out the possible Bishop return.

But I'd say, send him on Mars: at least science can benefit from this experiment.

Otherwise, I'd see him to the Raiders, they are used of this kind of player. Ah ****, it's NFL...

Hum, a blank season and I'd say the Coyotes as a salary dump.

• Like 1

Ok lets look at my Wings. 6-2-2 when Bertuzzi is in the lineup. Lets say the moron gets vaccinated before our next North of the border game in february. Vrana due back in a month or so, it is possible (though unlikely) a fringe playoff team in search of a third liner with grit. Do we go get him?

NO. I have coveted him in fantasy for years and years, I have overpaid to get him, he is an incredible fantasy option. Reality is teams play better once he is gone, it happened with the Peg, it is happening with the Sharks. Yzerman and his 'Yzerplan' would not allow an idiot like Kane to ruin a good young team. 

All that said, I hope he plays somewhere so I can scoop him up on the quick for my fantasy rosters. Just not Detroit or even Columbus. Please.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

All that said, I hope he plays somewhere so I can scoop him up on the quick for my fantasy rosters. Just not Detroit or even Columbus. Please.

Really gotta be hoping for Tampa, doncha?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sure, sure...can't beat us on the ice, so plant a virus and watch us destruct from the inside out.... I see how you are now. :bigteeth:

The virus approach worked for a Jeff Goldblum.

And if Evander changes his apartment, he could change his world.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Aww, come on, @yave1964 that was at least groan-worthy. Lol

I clicked the wrong emoji, lol 

Yeah Kane. You really have to look far and wide to find a bigger tool in the game off the ice. But damn can he play.

• Like 1

Las Vegas Raiders finding out that character matters. Two first rounders permanently sidelined for being stupid. (One posing with guns, threatening to kill someone; another under house arrest for casing an accident that resulted in death).

6 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Las Vegas Raiders finding out that character matters. Two first rounders permanently sidelined for being stupid. (One posing with guns, threatening to kill someone; another under house arrest for casing an accident that resulted in death).

And who had the last word on draft selection and all personnel movement? Gruden himself...

The apple was already rotten when worms infested it, but I hope the house is now clean.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Waived LOL

Has there ever been a case in History where a player who lead his team in scoring the previous year gets dropped to waivers like this?

Im still hoping beyond hope that some dumb team takes him. Kraken, Vancouver. COME ON GUYS. FREE POWER FORWARD HERE.

5 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Waived LOL

Has there ever been a case in History where a player who lead his team in scoring the previous year gets dropped to waivers like this?

Im still hoping beyond hope that some dumb team takes him. Kraken, Vancouver. COME ON GUYS. FREE POWER FORWARD HERE.

What I think happens

He clears waivers and gets sent to the Barracuda

He gets in game shape playing very well against inferior competition

He is recalled to show that he can still play at the NHL level

At or around the deadline the Sharks bite the bullet, paying a huge amount of remaining salary and possibly an asset to be rid of him

I cannot see him being claimed. Not even Benning is that dumb is he?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

What I think happens

He clears waivers and gets sent to the Barracuda

He gets in game shape playing very well against inferior competition

He is recalled to show that he can still play at the NHL level

At or around the deadline the Sharks bite the bullet, paying a huge amount of remaining salary and possibly an asset to be rid of him

I cannot see him being claimed. Not even Benning is that dumb is he?

I posted this on the NAHANA message board ....

Agree with both Dave and Koji. From a FHL perspective he will bring a GM points, before he became a distraction. From a human perspective keep him out of my locker room.

With that being said, I thought about adding him when he was still available. However, I choose not too simply because I did not know where he was going to wind up once his 21 game suspension was over. Deep down I just did not think the Sharks would keep him on the roster.

With all the baggage he brings I can't see any NHL team taking a chance on him. Yes I know he has talent but at what cost to the chemistry of the locker room. With him being placed on waivers confirms my suspicion that the Sharks are ready to move on.

IMO I think he will either play with SJ AHL team or he will will be out of hockey if he fails to report. If he proves he can play nice with the Barracuda, he might be able to get back into the NHL next year.

For that reason, to me personally, I chose not to pick up Kane when I had the chance.

I understand your POV @yave1964 and agree ... I just don't see any NHL team GM wanting to take on his baggage.

I don't think the Sharks would recall him as several players in the locker-room have said they don't want to play with him. Why disrupt the chemistry?  Just my humble opinion....

• Like 1