Tortorella Proves Why He’s No Longer an NHL Coach, Calls Out McDavid

JR Ewing

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Kind of analogous to calling out Wayne Gretzky after his 215 point season. 

(This is the point where people need to stop putting a microphone in front of Torts and just walk away. Let him talk to the wall.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Torts is short term gain long term pain.

The leafs should sign him for a year or two to kick their players into shape.

Yeap, I'll take him anytime to kick the Stars Country Club in the ballz before cleaning the house for good and proceed with a full rebuild.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Torts is short term gain pain for long term pain.

The leafs should sign him for a year or two to kick their players into shape.

The Toronto media would eat Torts alive. He wouldn't last a month in Toronto.  They would tear him a new a-hole so quick lol.

31 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Toronto media would eat Torts alive. He wouldn't last a month in Toronto.  They would tear him a new a-hole so quick lol.

Lol. Dude, he was in new york answering brooksie and telling him off on a daily basis

Something tells me the Toronto fan base, upset with their soft lacksidaisal corps wouldn't mind a boot commander in charge for a year or two after that embarassing Montreal loss in the playoffs

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Lol. Dude, he was in new york answering brooksie and telling him off on a daily basis

Something tells me the Toronto fan base, upset with their soft lacksidaisal corps wouldn't mind a boot commander in charge for a year or two after that embarassing Montreal loss in the playoffs

I remember this:
"F%$# off Brooksie" 
😄

And, I even think Brooksie said that he thinks that he might... haha

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I remember this:
"F%$# off Brooksie" 
😄

And, I even think Brooksie said that he thinks that he might... haha

The team could go 82-0 and Brooksie would write the nastiest articles complaining about everything, dramatizing and making stuff up as he went. Half the players hated him too lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

You know what? I change my answer. I think the Toronto media is soft on everyone. Nothing but softball questions and politeness. It's the fact that you can never get away from the media attention that drives people crazy. Maybe Torts would be in heaven being in Toronto.  He would be outspoken and have the biggest platform in the NHL to shout from.  :) 

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I think this is the last kick at the can for the current administration here in Toronto. There are two people who likely won't be in Toronto next season if the Leafs lose in the first round again this season (or miss the playoffs entirely). Mr. Glasses with no glass in them (Dubas) and Mr. Keefe (gone when new GM comes in). 

The problem is, if you bring in Torts, then a player like Matthews or Marner would demand to be traded. 

23 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You know what? I change my answer. I think the Toronto media is soft on everyone. Nothing but softball questions and politeness. It's the fact that you can never get away from the media attention that drives people crazy. Maybe Torts would be in heaven being in Toronto.  He would be outspoken and have the biggest platform in the NHL to shout from.  :) 

I think this is the last kick at the can for the current administration here in Toronto. There are two people who likely won't be in Toronto next season if the Leafs lose in the first round again this season (or miss the playoffs entirely). Mr. Glasses with no glass in them (Dubas) and Mr. Keefe (gone when new GM comes in). 

The problem is, if you bring in Torts, then a player like Matthews or Marner would demand to be traded. 

If they are too much of a wuss to handle a hard demanding boss, then they shouldn't be paid millions of dollars a year to play a game 

• Like 3

That sort of leader burns out quickly but it can be the type of leader some need to achieve their potential.

I don't think VLC and MSL win a Cup without him, for example.

And I do think he's what a team like Tronno needs - desperately.

Sometimes really talented people need to have someone challenge them to be better than they know they are.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, radoran said:

The Anticrosby!

I had to laugh about the Anticrosby 🤣

Maybe one could go really overboard in the anticrosbyism, saying something like this: "Oh, I really hate it when I draw a penalty. It's so against the spirit of the game. I see myself as a sacrifial lamb that should be tormented and abused, like in that game Kick the Buddy. When my team mates see me hacked and whacked they just keep on yelling: '''Attaboy Buddy! You know you like it! Keep on taking it!" But then the refs start ruining it for me, the team and the fans. The fans pay good money to see me thrown around. They don't want to see me deking through four Rangers and scoring. Sometimes I wish the refs would just put their whistles in their pockets and turn a blind eye like they should."

211683328-quarter.gif

On a more serious note, I think it must be very difficult for McDavid to find his optimal style of play, because one knows that the refs are not going to follow regular season rulebook during the playoffs, but one does not know what each year's playoffs rule book will be like. He can't start adjusting his style to the playoffs until the refs are following playoffs rules. They don't typically switch to that rule book at all during the regular season.

Interesting that Tortorella says McDavid should "just play through" the non-calls. When he was in Tampa, if Lecavalier or St. Louis were ever treated like that, he would have gone on a half hour post game presser rant about it.

Edited by FD19372

I still have to defend Brooks. He obviously got to Torts. Brooks works for the New York Post, OK. This is not the New York Times or Wall Street Journal. He's not so much a beat reporter as he is a columnist, hired to get you and everybody else riled up and talking about the Rangers. He does his job and begrudgingly takes the heat.

If a player or head coach let's a columnist into their heads, that's on them...🤠

On 11/14/2021 at 9:55 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

If they are too much of a wuss to handle a hard demanding boss, then they shouldn't be paid millions of dollars a year to play a game 

Like Iron Mike before him.

The thing is, can anyone actually say that he is wrong? That until McDavd starts playing a 200 foot game and winning a few rounds or even a cup can anyone say that he cannot be better? I remember when Bowman took over in Detroit and Yzerman went from 140 points as a selfish one way player and became THE Captain scoring 80 points a year but playing in any and all situations, it was not until that happened that the Wings won.

But yeah, lol, Torts being Torts has worn thin. My wife had him on her hall pass list for several years after meeting him at the season ticket autograph session, he remembered her and my youngest daughter the second time they went. In her eyes he can do no wrong, lol. 

• Like 1