Game 14: Flames at Flyers; 11/16/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP, ESPN+

Howie58

9 minutes ago, Samifan said:

You know it’s bad when Charlie Brown is the best flyers forward on the ice tonight. Guy hasn’t taken a shift off. 

Flyers WILL NEVER BE A SHOOT FIRST TEAM, EVER. 😩

I'm fairness, you do have to actually have the puck in order to shoot it. We have zero ability to transition out of our end. Then chasing, always.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm fairness, you do have to actually have the puck in order to shoot it. We have zero ability to transition out of our end. Then chasing, always.

Agreed. Should have clarified that they refuse to shoot on PPs

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Samifan said:

You know it’s bad when Charlie Brown is the best flyers forward on the ice tonight. Guy hasn’t taken a shift off. 

Flyers WILL NEVER BE A SHOOT FIRST TEAM, EVER. 😩

Well it appears Charlie Brown is now injured. Damn you Lucy…..

• Like 1

This is probably the prototype for '21-'22. We need to be "structured" as Hakstol put it, and get great goaltending. Tonight had the feel of last week against Carolina.  

An occasional PP score would help. But that doesn't look promising.

It's a good win. Next-Tampa Bay, a real benchmark game.

How can this team continue to send out a pathetic PP, game after game, season after season

Seriously? Do they expect it it will get better? I don't understand how this is not addressed. Shouldn't someone be held accountable?

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

How can this team continue to send out a pathetic PP, game after game, season after season

Seriously? Do they expect it it will get better? I don't understand how this is not addressed. Shouldn't someone be held accountable?

Accountable?

We just put a guy who was among the worst -- if not the worst -- Flyrers coaches in their history, a guy who drove the franchise into the ground with his bumble#### in the dark stint as GM and President and Chief Goat Fker, but who had a decent playing career 40 years into the Flyers' Hall of Fame.

You want accountable in this clown show?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CoachX said:

calgary is good team, they have a good goalie, they have good defensive forwards,  you are acting like this team is going to score 5 or 6 goals a game against good teams, it's not happening sorry. tampa isnt going to be easy either, they are a good defensive team and vasily is fantastic, im expecting a low scoring game. we were shooting over 40 shots on markstrum and we couldnt beat him.

it's just how it is, if you dont like boring defensive hockey then dont watch it.

Edited by tucson83

Just now, tucson83 said:

calgary is good team, they have a good goalie, they have good defensive forwards,  you are acting like this team is going to score 5 or 6 goals a game against good teams, it's not happening sorry. tampa isnt going to be easy either, they are a good defensive team and vasily is fantastic, im expecting a low scoring game. we were shooting over 40 shots on markstrum and we couldnt beat him.

it's just how it is.

No.   His post was about the PP.   It has zero -- literally zero -- to do with "acting like this team is going to score 5 or 6 goals a game."

That's frankly a lazy response, Tucson.     What you went on to say is true, but it's not relevant to the complaint.   The power play is horrific and has been.  This isn't about an opposing goalie or defensive forwards or any other random excuse. This is a team that has very little movement on the power play, is unable to get set up let alone sustained pressure, and when they do stay in the zone for any clock time, it's fighting board battles down low because they refuse to move lanes and can't complete a sharp pass even if they did.  I mean, let's talk about that for a second before glossing it over as if "5 or 6 a game" or "defensive forwards" is remotely relevant to the topic.

• Like 3

@CoachX 

on the 3rd or 4th try they (the Flyers PP)managed to get some shots on net. A couple of good saves by Markstrom helped too, I thought Couturier had one on a rebound opportunity.  I'm not wild about Provorov on the PP but at least he puts the puck on the net and makes some **** happen. I do think Yandle is a better overall option, but those guys on PP 1 continue to try passing the puck in the net and that never works. 

Weird game last night.

At one point in the 3rd period Johnny Gadreau and Elias Lindholm were responsible for over half of the shots on net by the Flames.

That Tkacuck kid is a special kind of asshole. At one point Sanhiem gives him a little chuck after a play and 19 tried to pick fights with 2 different dudes, it's like he's an asshole scud missile. 

Once Brown wasn't available and they started double shifting G with on that line the whole team got better and more competitive. 

I think that was a good win. 

Carter Hart is on the team too, so if he's a reason for the win, it's by design and counts the same as any other win.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Accountable?

We just put a guy who was among the worst -- if not the worst -- Flyrers coaches in their history, a guy who drove the franchise into the ground with his bumble#### in the dark stint as GM and President and Chief Goat Fker, but who had a decent playing career 40 years into the Flyers' Hall of Fame.

You want accountable in this clown show?

Hey, c'mon now. Homer had 30 goals once. And 65 points. In the same season. No lie. In 1980 - and you know how hard goals were to come by in the '70s and '80s. And he scored 22 once, too!

And as a coach he took a team to the Conference Finals once. No, really! I mean, sure, he's the only coach since Shero to have a sub-.500 record and coached the first non-playoff squad in 17 years. But that's memorable isn't it?

As GM a team went to the Cup Final that one time! Sure, they qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the season, but anything can happen, right? And he took that squad and won two whole rounds of playoffs in the next three years and set them on a course where they won - *checks notes* - another round of playoffs seven years later.

#halloffame

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 2

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Hey, c'mon now. Homer had 30 goals once. And 65 points. In the same season. No lie. In 1980 - and you know how hard goals were to come by in the '70s and '80s. And he scored 22 once, too!

And as a coach he took a team to the Conference Finals once. No, really! I mean, sure, he's the only coach since Shero to have a sub-.500 record and coached the first non-playoff squad in 17 years. But that's memorable isn't it?

As GM a team went to the Cup Final that one time! Sure, they qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the season, but anything can happen, right? And he took that squad and won two whole rounds of playoffs in the next three years and set them on a course where they won - *checks notes* - another round of playoffs seven years later.

#halloffame

So you're more of a quality over quantity guy then?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

it's just how it is, if you dont like boring defensive hockey then dont watch it.

We're discussing the pp. If that's too difficult to comprehend, then shut up and color 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@CoachX 

on the 3rd or 4th try they (the Flyers PP)managed to get some shots on net. A couple of good saves by Markstrom helped too, I thought Couturier had one on a rebound opportunity.  I'm not wild about Provorov on the PP but at least he puts the puck on the net and makes some **** happen. I do think Yandle is a better overall option, but those guys on PP 1 continue to try passing the puck in the net and that never works. 

Weird game last night.

At one point in the 3rd period Johnny Gadreau and Elias Lindholm were responsible for over half of the shots on net by the Flames.

That Tkacuck kid is a special kind of asshole. At one point Sanhiem gives him a little chuck after a play and 19 tried to pick fights with 2 different dudes, it's like he's an asshole scud missile. 

Once Brown wasn't available and they started double shifting G with on that line the whole team got better and more competitive. 

I think that was a good win. 

Carter Hart is on the team too, so if he's a reason for the win, it's by design and counts the same as any other win.

Good observations. It was a good win. Any win is.

But my issue is with the PP, not the win

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The best PP they've had in the past five years (14th - 20.7%) was AV's first year - and Therrien's.

I'm not so sure it's all on "coaching."

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

those guys on PP 1 continue to try passing the puck in the net and that never works. 

I think that speak's to Coach's point that they never really get set up and always seem to be chasing the puck. I get that Markstrom's a good goalie, but in the first they had three PPs including a 5-on-3 and by my reading of the play by play they managed four shots on goal and a couple misses.

Three of those shots from Yandle (2) and Provorov.

That's Not Good.

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Good observations. It was a good win. Any win is.

It's two points and that's great. But it's the type of game that IMO doesn't bode well for playoff success.

I get that they put up 40+ shots, but didn't really feel at any point that they had significant, dangerous, sustained pressure.

Hart looked great and that's also good. But goalies can only do so much for a team that isn't scoring. And this team has 10 goals in the past six games. 3-2-1 is a respectable way to come out of that stretch, but averaging less than two goals a game is simply not a recipe for long term success.

And I'm not sure many of us would put money on the Flyers in a seven game series against Carolina, Washington, or Calgary.

They have time to fix it, but they do need to start moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So you're more of a quality over quantity guy then?

There's honestly not even "quantity."

I give credit for the moves to remake the squad with Briere, Hartnell, and Timonen, but things spiral pretty quickly after that. And for all the "success" his teams as GM finished higher than 3rd place once.

And there's no question about his record of being the first Flyers coach to miss consecutive playoffs and the GM who's legacy is the least successful stretch of hockey in organizational* history.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm not so sure it's all on "coaching."

It's definitely not. The puzzling bit to me is that some of these guys were actually very good PP contributors at some point in their careers (Giroux being the big one here). I'm curious what it is about the current line up that feels so lacklustre in terms of PP skill. Did Giroux lose his touch, or is it the supporting cast he had during those years (e.g. Hartnell, Simmonds) was a very different type than what he has now?

I'm harping on G, which might not be entirely fair, but he's definitely the biggest culprit in terms of going from that as a strong part of his game to now being quite weak. Other members of the vet core really didn't have such a significant fall from grace, as they were never amazing PP contributors to begin with (i don't really know much about Atkinson in this dept).

Like others here, I would put Yandle in there for a while and see if he's still got it. Being a QB on the advantage was his bread and butter for years. He may be past his prime for it now, but maybe not. Worth a shot anyway. Aside from him, it's notable how G's glory days included a grinder with a scoring touch, which is something we currently don't have on the team. Maybe that's the kicker here?

I imagine it's a combo of things, but for the sake of breaking things down I guess. Could be worth starting there.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

2 points is 2 points but.....

1. The PP is pretty anemic and predictable.  I wish they had someone that could play the point that could shake things up.  Someone like....Ghost...oh wait, we have Yandle. 🤨    #9 really shouldn't be on PP#1.  PP#2 is fine.   Something has to change.  In the playoffs, the PP has to work. 
  2. Johnny Hockey had a good tryout last night.  He'll fit well on that top line come March 22nd. 
  3. Speaking of lines, wouldn't it make sense to put your leading goal scorer with your top TWO assist leaders?   Giroux-Couturier-Atkinson is a no brainer.  Followed up by Farabee-Hayes-Konecny.    Then stop shaking up the f'in lines.  Leave them alone for 20 games.  Drives me mad.
  4. Last night I remember how painfully slow Hayes is.   I know I know, he's not 100% yet but damnnnnn.  The camera pans, his two wingers are in the zone and 5 seconds later Hayes enters the frame coasting.  
  5. In AHL news, Frost has 8pts in his last 7gms while the phantoms are dead last.
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm harping on G, which might not be entirely fair, but he's definitely the biggest culprit in terms of going from that as a strong part of his game to now being quite weak. Other members of the vet core really didn't have such a significant fall from grace, as they were never amazing PP contributors to begin with (i don't really know much about Atkinson in this dept).

Like others here, I would put Yandle in there for a while and see if he's still got it. Being a QB on the advantage was his bread and butter for years. He may be past his prime for it now, but maybe not. Worth a shot anyway. Aside from him, it's notable how G's glory days included a grinder with a scoring touch, which is something we currently don't have on the team. Maybe that's the kicker here?

I think this is fair and accurate. 

Hartnell was a big body with a good left hand shot below the dots. and that was a bread and butter play for the Flyers during the big PP pts years.

There isn't that guy anymore, there are little guys with good shots that get busted up in there, big guys that can't shoot it quickly from there.   Simmonds is still tougher than a $3 steak and would stay on that weakside post no matter what and clean up some rebounds.

Not having the threat of that quick one-timer from in close like that I'm sure limits the options of what G can facilitate from his half wall position. JvR's post moves aren't quick enough anymore or so it seems, the play goes to his stick to die this year.

I don't like the what I perceive is a lack of meaningful motion once they actually manage to possess the puck and get set up.

Last night, after a scramble and won puck battle,  someone had the puck around the goal-line with some ice in between him and the defender, rather than taking that ice and making a move toward the net, the player ( Konecny or Brassard?) tried to thread a pass through 2 defenders to the opposite point, of course the puck was tipped and the play went the other way.  Why not take advantage of the chaos and make a move to the net?

It's like a team wide lack of confidence.  Which was weird because once they became engaged physically the whole team played better. I would think a won puck would lead to some confidence, it seems like everyone is playing to not lose possession as a result they never impose themselves on the game.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

G was pretty successful with Schenn. I can't believe we don't have a player that good/tough

It seems to me they are predictable, stationary, and panic with the puck. They just make dumb decisions,  like the cross ice pass through heavily defended areas. To that point it seems like even new roster players (Atkinson) does this now too. Maybe a culture thing that works in practice