Game 14: Flames at Flyers; 11/16/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP, ESPN+

Howie58

57 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Johnny Hockey had a good tryout last night.  He'll fit well on that top line come March 22nd. 

You know Calgary's doing just about as well as the Flyers, right?

You think anyone in Calgary is going "Flyer X would look good at the trade deadline?" Me, I'm not so sure...

58 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Speaking of lines, wouldn't it make sense to put your leading goal scorer with your top TWO assist leaders?   Giroux-Couturier-Atkinson is a no brainer.  Followed up by Farabee-Hayes-Konecny.    Then stop shaking up the f'in lines.  Leave them alone for 20 games.  Drives me mad.

I get it - and don't really understand why Atkinson isn't on PP1, much less L1. But when your team has scored less than two goals a game for six games, coaches have a tendency to want to do something to "shake it up."

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

Last night I remember how painfully slow Hayes is.   I know I know, he's not 100% yet

Well, thank got they have a boat anchor who's slow to begin with and "not 100%" back on the ice. I'm sure that will help tremendously.

This is November not the playoffs. There are players who gut through things in the playoffs and that's great (see: Weber, Shea). But pushing to come back in November just doesn't do it for me (see: Ellis, Ryan).

An 80% Kevin Hayes isn't what this team needs (yes I know he scoragoala) any more than it needs a gimpy Ellis. All that's accomplishing from where I sit is the opportunity to reinjure and be out for a longer term, prossibly extending into the stretch drive.

And we will have those who look at "wins against Washington, Carolina, and Calgary" as "good signs." And wins are wins. But I don't know that any of the "good sign" folks are putting cash money down on the prospects of winning a seven game series against any of them.

That one time where they had trouble scoring, they took the lead in the series and almost beat Ottawa twice behind a goalie that put up 1.85/.936 and another that was 1.37/.939. Good times.

57 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It seems to me they are predictable, stationary, and panic with the puck. They just make dumb decisions,  like the cross ice pass through heavily defended areas. To that point it seems like even new roster players (Atkinson) does this now too. Maybe a culture thing that works in practice

I think it's called "trying to make plays" and is a trait common to virtually all hockey players. The notion that there is a particularly Philly culture or practice that infects otherwise smart hockey players into doing stupid stuff is one of the crazier aspects of Philly sports culture. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't like the what I perceive is a lack of meaningful motion once they actually manage to possess the puck and get set up.

What I also don't like is that they have a really hard time getting set up in the first place.

Part of the lack of "meaningful motion" once they are set up just might be related to all the energy they had to expend to get into that position.

They are still putting the new pieces together and they really haven't played the roster that they had planned for to start the season and they are in a playoff position. That's all good news. But the product on the ice isn't giving the confidence that they're more than a first round exit (again).

Still time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I think it's called "trying to make plays" and is a trait common to virtually all hockey players. The notion that there is a particularly Philly culture or practice that infects otherwise smart hockey players into doing stupid stuff is one of the crazier aspects of Philly sports culture.

It's definitely the prejudice of the team "you" see play all the time.

The refs are always against "your team" in every city because refs make bad calls and one only sees/remembers the ones against "your" team.

The bounces always go against "you." Unfortunate injuries always happen to "you."

22 minutes ago, radoran said:

You know Calgary's doing just about as well as the Flyers, right?

You think anyone in Calgary is going "Flyer X would look good at the trade deadline?" Me, I'm not so sure...

He's a UFA with a MNTC.  They have to do something or lose him for nothing - tough choice if they keep winning.    Do you listen to the BSH weekly podcast?  They joke about it all the time.  Specifically Kelly. 

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

coaches have a tendency to want to do something to "shake it up."

I get shaking it up from time to time.  But when coaches do it too much, it irks me.   Bounces don't go your way sometimes - it happens.  Hart's season last year for example.   These are professional athletes, let them work through it.   Maybe after 20 games or so, change it up.   But not after 3 bad periods.

It's averages we need to look at.  

Flyers sit 12th in the league in points with 2/3 games in hand over half the teams above.   6-3-1 in the last 10

The are 7th in the conference - almost exactly where many predicted them to be (at the end).  

Goals For/Games Played:  23rd   (5on5 they are 18th but  5on4 they are 28th)

PP%: 25th

PK%: 12th

Goal Against:  Tied for 2nd

Shots For/GP: 14th

Shots Against/GP: 6th

Face offs: 4th

Of all the stats above, goal scoring is the issue (as pointed out numerous times) BUT at 5 on 5 they aren't horrible - nearly middle of the pack.   It's the power play that is the dragging everything else down.    Changing up the lines at 5 on 5 isn't going to do diddly to make up for the inept PP.   In fact it's been a problem for too long now - it's time to shake things up there if something is going to shaken up.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

An 80% Kevin Hayes isn't what this team needs (yes I know he scoragoala) any more than it needs a gimpy Ellis. All that's accomplishing from where I sit is the opportunity to reinjure and be out for a longer term, prossibly extending into the stretch drive.

Agree.  They both should be IR until mid-Dec or they are 100% ready to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

He's a UFA with a MNTC.  They have to do something or lose him for nothing - tough choice if they keep winning.

Or they sign him with some of the $29M they have in cap space for next season (Tkachuk is RFA).

The Isles lost Tavares "for nothing" and have been a better team since it happened...

I'm not mortgaging the farm for a (will be) 29 year old smallish player (remember, I'm a huge MSL fan). I can see where ol' Fletch might be getting Senior Hockey Advice in that area, however.

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

I get shaking it up from time to time.  But when coaches do it too much, it irks me. 

Irks me, too. But with ol' Hayeysey coming back there was going to be a reshuffle and I'm not entirely surprised if that take a few games to get right.

He did score :thumbsu:

>SOMETHING REMOVED HERE BECAUSE I'M AN IDIOT<

I've said on other threads what they desperately need is a true 2C, not another scoring winger. Especially if they're not going to play their "natural" center captain in that role (who took a ton of faceoffs from the wing last night).

From where I sit, they've got scoring depth on the wings, they don't have enough playmakers in the middle.

Edited by radoran

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

18th 5 on 5.   That's middle to me 

Sorry, was conflating a couple different numbers from your post.

Short story: I screwed up. Sorry

Uh Oh Oops GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Edited by radoran
  • Haha 1