Jump to content

Game 16: Bruins at Flyers; 11/20/21 @ 7 PM, CSNP


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

My bad! Getting prematurely senile. Had Chianti instead of Merlot. See, even that gets me off track!

Yeah, it doesn't take much for that to me, either. I thought it was my Roscato making me repeat my post because it wouldn't be the first time! Far from it!

Edited by FD19372
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well the Flyers are 8-8. Perfectly mediocre...the farm is the AHLs worst...Fletch's work is done. 

 

It took awhile, but they've finally got Couturier and Farabee to play terrible hockey. If Hart isn't stealing games this popgun offence isn't going to beat any decent team. 2 goals or less in 10 games. Scored more than 3 once since the first 3 games.  

 

And of the oldest 13 players on the team, ol' Fletch brought in 10 of them in his short tenure. So at least the future is bright. 

 

Gostisbehere leads his team in points. Fletcher traded assets just to get rid of him. But at least Yandle looked good the first 3 games. Before becoming the new Hartnell down!

 

Man this franchise has fallen. Hard.

 

Meanwhile the Fletchless Wild sit atop their division. 

 

I'd apologize for being so negative. But I've been a fan of this once proud franchise for so long it just makes me sick what they've done to it. This team used to contend for the cup all the time. Now it's "Oooooo, think we can grab that last playoff spot and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN?"

 

 

 

 


b.b.b….u..t this team needed veteran players……. We just need to give Fletch a chance… (Thats what i was told)

 

I’ve hated the Fletch move from day 1 but was willing to give him a chance….

 

He has proved absolutely nothing to me…. I hate to be s debbie downer but your post is spot on ….

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

 

actually we do. If he's going to earn his paycheck he needs to get himself involved offensively and start depositing some goals and helpers. He's supposed to be an offensive D-man.

Maybe he should learn how to be defensive first

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Gostisbehere leads his team in points.

To put that in perspective he has 13 points… G has 16 for the Flyers. Ghost would be tied with Coots in second at 13.

 

I was going to call the Yotes offensively challenged but then that would be like calling the kettle black with this team…..


but yeah… i get your POV 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well the Flyers are 8-8. Perfectly mediocre.

 

Not quite. When Hayes gets back then the Flyers (esp their offense) will reign supreme: Perfectly Mediocre.

 

 

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Gostisbehere leads his team in points. Fletcher traded assets just to get rid of him.

 

2nd only to signing Hayes the Gostisbehere "deal" is the worst move Fletcher made. So far. Stay tuned if you can bear to watch this team.

 

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

It took awhile, but they've finally got Couturier and Farabee to play terrible hockey.

 

I've been wondering about Couturier since the season started. He doesn't look right. Whatever it is he's not the same player he's always been. I could count on one hand the number of - forget games - the number of plays he controlled or made happen this year.

 

Farabee's poor results I blame squarely on AV and the coaches. This guy is a world-class talent and he's lost out there, like he has no idea what role he's supposed to fill. The Flyers top goal-scorer (or close to it) and he's banging around with the likes of Laughton and the forever-disinterested JVR. Makes no sense.

 

And the beat writers can't figure out why the Flyers' offense is nowhere, why the PP is an embarrassment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

The Flyers' offseason moves were lateral at best.  This team is not talented.  The organization is rotten to the core.

SC's comments are strong but consistent with FC's comments above, it has been a long time since we were viewed as perennially elite or Cup contenders.  Writ large, I think the squad has never adopted to the post-2005-06, "New NHL."  That may be an overstatement but this organization's DNA, and its Hall of Famers, tend to reflect the "Sniderian" roots.  I don't know when that changes.

 

Black Friday is approaching, and this month may say a lot about this year's edition.  As I've said before, my preference would be "Other" as first-line center, with Coots and Hayes being two and three.  Our D--Ellis aside, maybe a bit better than last year's but not much.  

 

I watch FlyersFanMania 93 (Chris Maher)on Youtube, and his assessments are generally thoughtful.  At this stage, he wonders if this is a "systems" problem or a personnel problem? It's hard to tell for sure with frequent line changes.  But I agree with Maher that if our offense continues to stagnate, Fletcher may need to think about trades.  Morgan Frost may be playing well, but bringing him up may not be good for him or the squad. 

 

Meanwhile, I'll repeat this from a few days ago--I suspect the only way this team wins is with super goaltending and "structured" play.  We aren't generating enough shots with quality to win otherwise.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Maybe he should learn how to be defensive first

 

I hear ya - he's weak defensively but you put up with that as long as he's scoring goals. He's supposed to be an offensive D-man but 16 games he's got 3 assists and zero goals. The entire D corp has 3 goals and 1 came from the guy who's been out most of the year. But the lack of D scoring is just part of the same dull picture.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think that constantly bashing your head against the same wall it would start to hurt. Apparently the dysfunctional Flyer management group enjoys the pain. Older and slower is not a winning mantra. When do you think they will extend Ellis for another 6 years?  The land of misfit toys. I am running out of loser epitaphs. Feel free to join in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

2nd only to signing Hayes the Gostisbehere "deal" is the worst move Fletcher made. So far.

 

The Hayes signing is turning into the disaster many saw when it happened. The player is NOT a #2C on a cup contender and the length and cost of the deal are hamstringing.

 

Ristolainen is looking better, but the cost of the overall deal to acquire him is simply not justifiable.

 

The roster needed a makeover. It got one. The fruits of the Ellis deal have really yet to be seen, but they remain a bubble playoff team with ambitions of grandeur.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Howie58 said:

it has been a long time since we were viewed as perennially elite or Cup contenders. 

 

Honestly, since they deliberately removed their own ability to pay to cover up their mistakes they've never recovered. Nor have they made any attempt to change the phillyosophy of the franchise.

 

In fact, they doubled down on it with their new Hall of Famer making some Millburyesque decisions. Bryzgalov, Pronger,  pursuing Parise/Suter, Weber - all just terrible, predictably bad choices.

 

And it's not hindsight if it was said so at the time. And it was.

 

They just immortalized the guy who abjectly failed this franchise twice.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, radoran said:

 

The Hayes signing is turning into the disaster many saw when it happened. The player is NOT a #2C on a cup contender and the length and cost of the deal are hamstringing.

 

Ristolainen is looking better, but the cost of the overall deal to acquire him is simply not justifiable.

 

The roster needed a makeover. It got one. The fruits of the Ellis deal have really yet to be seen, but they remain a bubble playoff team with ambitions of grandeur.

 

 Ya, making all those moves and being saddled to those bad contracts and giving up a bunch of high draft picks just to make a mediocre team...mediocre. Great management. Just great.

  • Good Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, radoran said:

 

Honestly, since they deliberately removed their own ability to pay to cover up their mistakes they've never recovered. Nor have they made any attempt to change the phillyosophy of the franchise.

 

In fact, they doubled down on it with their new Hall of Famer making some Millburyesque decisions. Bryzgalov, Pronger,  pursuing Parise/Suter, Weber - all just terrible, predictably bad choices.

 

And it's not hindsight if it was said so at the time. And it was.

 

They just immortalized the guy who abjectly failed this franchise twice.

 

You can throw Hayes contract onto that pile of steaming crap contracts too. And I'd bet Ristolainens will be a doozy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

 

 Ya, making all those moves and being saddled to those bad contracts and giving up a bunch of high draft picks just to make a mediocre team...mediocre. Great management. Just great.

"Giving up a bunch of high draft picks to make a mediocre team mediocre" - that describes spot on what Fletcher's MO in the Wild was.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

You would think that constantly bashing your head against the same wall it would start to hurt. Apparently the dysfunctional Flyer management group enjoys the pain. Older and slower is not a winning mantra. When do you think they will extend Ellis for another 6 years?  The land of misfit toys. I am running out of loser epitaphs. Feel free to join in.

Money/profits = winning

 

Winning games or championships is not a priority as long as they are getting paid

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I wish fans here would have one percent of the anger they had for Voracek for Flyers' management.

There's sports hate and then there's actual anger. 

The world is plenty ****ed up with enough problems to enrage any sentient being.

This recreational diversion of pro sports isn't worth my anger, it's an outlet, something I want to enjoy. I'm not trying to do something that makes me feel rage- for fun.

 

I do think Ellis and Hayes will make the team better, I do think Morgan Frost and Wade Allison will also. We are not watching the finished product at this point. This group has been getting caved-in the last 2 weeks and is still finding ways to get points and win some games.  It could be way, way worse.

 

Truly though, I do think having a corporate entity as the owner is largely responsible for the malaise we've been experiencing. 

 

We went to the game Saturday, sat on the sofa seats in the Liberty Lofts on Star Wars night. -this is part of the problem.

It was fun, the Star Wars stuff around the arena and game was fun, the view from the semi private box was unique, the lady Mojos loved the bathroom situation. I would do all of that again, Mrs and teen girl both enjoyed the game from there far more than they do when we sit close to the ice. 

The WFC sound system is diabolically loud, the projections were cool, the scoreboard is amazeballs. 

People were entertained regardless of what happened on the ice.

Teen-girl Mojo wondered why the Flyers were so bad at passing the puck, Mrs Mojo told the Boston fan in our box that Bergeron was a lousy cheating ****. -her words These are two people who more than casually like hockey who had a great time in spite of the score.

They're ready to go back.

$$$ bills y'all.

I would like to see the team bought by a rich douche bag who cares about winning. 

IDGAF about the Kate Smith statue but I do miss Ed Snider and his passion, the team needs that kind of person at the helm and not EVP for the Eastern Region. 

 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...