Hayes has reinjured his abdominal problem and he’s week to week

RonJeremy

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Even their drafting is becoming suspect. Or maybe their development. Because they've certainly drafted some very talented players who for whatever reason just seem to stop developing in Philly and actually start to regress. 

I think the organization* is still fat and happy and living in the past.

They just put a guy who was a mediocre player, a failed coach, and a failure of a GM into their Hall of Fame.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

I'm not sure why, "let's get incredibly older" in the NHL was considered a sober idea.

I liked the Ellis trade on the surface. And I liked the Atkinson trade, but that didn't make us any older, really.  But the flyers have aged quite a bit in a young league.

Sigh.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Even their drafting is becoming suspect. Or maybe their development. Because they've certainly drafted some very talented players who for whatever reason just seem to stop developing in Philly and actually start to regress. 

It would also help alot if all our top picks didn't get serious injuries year after year.. Morin,  Rubstov. O'Brien, Frost, Foerester and Allison...just to name a few.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure why, "let's get incredibly older" in the NHL was considered a sober idea.

I liked the Ellis trade on the surface. And I liked the Atkinson trade, but that didn't make us any older, really.  But the flyers have aged quite a bit in a young league.

Sigh.

Giroux is having a good season, I am sure we will re-sign him at an astronomical rate and for 4 years,  then we can have Hayes, Coots and G all past there prime and making millions.  The best thing we can do is to trade G at the deadline and get a pick and a top prospect. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The best thing we can do is to trade G at the deadline and get a pick and a top prospect. 

I don't think that would be "the best thing" but I agree it's not a bad idea if Giroux wants to go and if the return is good enough. He's not only having a good season he's on a tear - still the best or 2nd best FO guy in the NHL and he's scoring at just under a pt/game. Any team would love to have him this year. I worry that Chuck the Dumb Fk will undervalue him and swap him for Lucic and a 3rd...

8 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don't think that would be "the best thing" but I agree it's not a bad idea if Giroux wants to go and if the return is good enough. He's not only having a good season he's on a tear - still the best or 2nd best FO guy in the NHL and he's scoring at just under a pt/game. Any team would love to have him this year. I worry that Chuck the Dumb Fk will undervalue him and swap him for Lucic and a 3rd...

Being realistic, we are not a contender at all, so there is no point In giving Giroux big $$ for the next 3-4 years when we are stuck with 5 more years of Hayes at 9 million and we just awarded a fading Coots a huge long term contract. On top of that we have Atkinson and Ellis with big contracts and a lot of years. Every one of these players have seen their best years and it’s all down hill from here.  We have to plan for the future because this team has ZERO chance of winning a Cup. So we have to start compiling assets and do another rebuild. The better G plays, the more we can get for him at the deadline or sooner. Management needs to tell G, we have no plans to re-sign you and we are rebuilding, so be a team guy and drop the no trade clause and we will send you to a contender and give you a chance to win the cup. 

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Being realistic, we are not a contender at all, so there is no point In giving Giroux big $$ for the next 3-4 years when we are stuck with 5 more years of Hayes at 9 million and we just awarded a fading Coots a huge long term contract. On top of that we have Atkinson and Ellis with big contracts and a lot of years. Every one of these players have seen their best years and it’s all down hill from here.  We have to plan for the future because this team has ZERO chance of winning a Cup. So we have to start compiling assets and do another rebuild. The better G plays, the more we can get for him at the deadline or sooner. Management needs to tell G, we have no plans to re-sign you and we are rebuilding, so be a team guy and drop the no trade clause and we will send you to a contender and give you a chance to win the cup. 

This has been the case since 2011.  The Flyer brass will be buyers at the deadline trying to grab that last playoff spot, where "anything can happen". Dysfunction at the junction. The land of broken toys. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

The Flyer brass will be buyers at the deadline trying to grab that last playoff spot, where "anything can happen". Dysfunction at the junction. The land of broken toys. 

Again ...totally agree ...just goes to my point in the other threads that the good ole boys club has hindered this club for a decade now .....

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

When was the first rebuild?

When they reacquired Parent.

Since then they have bought themselves into competitiveness.

Then they insisted on losing a season and a half of hockey to remove that ability.

And here we are...

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

When was the first rebuild?

Right after we lost the Cup to Chicago and they dumped Carter and Richards, the rebuild has been going on ever since. Trust the process , just look at the Sixers , how many failed first round picks , how many players drafted that just don’t fit with the players you have….it’s pathetic. The Rangers rebuilt much quicker than we did. They have cohesive lines and setup great plays, we are a total bore .

22 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Right after we lost the Cup to Chicago and they dumped Carter and Richards, the rebuild has been going on ever since. Trust the process , just look at the Sixers , how many failed first round picks , how many players drafted that just don’t fit with the players you have….it’s pathetic. The Rangers rebuilt much quicker than we did. They have cohesive lines and setup great plays, we are a total bore .

I have one sentence to say about the Sixers and basketball. They have a legit star on their team. The Flyers don’t.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I have one sentence to say about the Sixers and basketball. They have a legit star on their team. The Flyers don’t.

That’s true but the Sixers tanked and got top 3 picks for a number of years, they should be alot better but they didn’t draft with a plan the players they picked did not fit together as a unit. The Flyers have to hit rock bottom for a few years for any shot at drafting a superstar or just get plain lucky later in the draft . Unfortunately the times we had a high pick we drafted JVR and Patrick, who is out with an undisclosed injury again. 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

On 11/26/2021 at 11:56 PM, RonJeremy said:

That wasn't a rebuild, it was a "reload".  Holmgren said so himself, they tried to be competitive and the players they got back were supposed to contribute right away.

The Rangers rebuild was a rebuild.  They sent a letter to their fans asking for their patience and telling them we're not trying to win now.  They traded older, established players for picks and prospects who weren't going to play right away.  And guess which one looks like it might work?

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

That wasn't a rebuild, it was a "reload".  Holmgren said so himself, they tried to be competitive and the players they got back were supposed to contribute right away.

The Rangers rebuild was a rebuild.  They sent a letter to their fans asking for their patience and telling them we're not trying to win now.  They traded older, established players for picks and prospects who weren't going to play right away.  And guess which one looks like it might work?

The Rangers are loaded with skill players, they signed Panaran and we got Hayes.

They traded for Fox we got Ristolainen,  they got high end guys and  we got the usual vanilla type player we always have had.  All the trades they made are paying off. We are stuck with big contracts and a bunch of players who's best days are behind them. Other than Hart,Provy , Konecny and Farabee, we don't have many really good young players. Coots is already on the down swing. If guys like York, Frost, Allison , Desoyner and Foerester don't become offensive forces then we are done for another 10 years.

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The Rangers are loaded with skill players, they signed Panaran and we got Hayes.

They traded for Fox we got Ristolainen,  they got high end guys and  we got the usual vanilla type player we always have had.  All the trades they made are paying off. We are stuck with big contracts and a bunch of players who's best days are behind them. Other than Hart,Provy , Konecny and Farabee, we don't have many really good young players. Coots is already on the down swing. If guys like York, Frost, Allison , Desoyner and Foerester don't become offensive forces then we are done for another 10 years.

How do you think the Rangers got those skill players?  They got a lot of picks and pieces for trading the guys from the last time the team was good (Zucharello, Nash, Brassard, Hayes, Stepan, Grabner, Miller, McDonough.  When have we ever cleaned house like this?  If we had a McDonough, we would have kept him until he was a broken old man and then given him a coaching job.

They traded Hayes, we signed him and gave him 7 years.  Who won those moves?

I was on record here as wanting to trade Couts at the deadline last year.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any of those guys you mentioned being offensive forces on any timeline that helps this team this year and probably not next year.  We are done for another 5 years, that's for sure.

13 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

How do you think the Rangers got those skill players?  They got a lot of picks and pieces for trading the guys from the last time the team was good (Zucharello, Nash, Brassard, Hayes, Stepan, Grabner, Miller, McDonough.  When have we ever cleaned house like this?  If we had a McDonough, we would have kept him until he was a broken old man and then given him a coaching job.

They traded Hayes, we signed him and gave him 7 years.  Who won those moves?

I was on record here as wanting to trade Couts at the deadline last year.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any of those guys you mentioned being offensive forces on any timeline that helps this team this year and probably not next year.  We are done for another 5 years, that's for sure.

Considering how our first round picks are constantly injured and keep losing valuable development time , you are probably right. Foerester seems to he a pure scorer but he's out for the year and that will set him back. It's not looking good.