Game 17: Flyers at Lightning; 11/23/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Tampa is favored, but the road team has taken four of the last five and the Flyers do well on two days rest:

https://freepicks.picksandparlays.net/more-free-picks/nhl-picks/philadelphia-flyers-at-tampa-bay-lightning-112321-nhl-picks-and-predictions

Tampa has won seven of the last 10; we are 4-4-2.  Likely goalies are Hart and Vasilevskiy.  

Can we score more than two goals?

LGF

16 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Can we score more than two goals?

Against Vasilevsky, in Tampa...I don't like our chances. Unfortunately the Flyers' 2.69 average goals/game doesn't exactly inspire confidence, especially since it's been falling steadily for weeks now.

edit: actually I'm a little worried the Flyers may get a shellacking tonight. They hung with the Bolts in Philly just last week but that was then - before the Bruins pasted them. I can see a blowout loss tonight...then the inevitable players-only meeting afterward...then more of the same in Sunrise tomorrow night. Hope I'm way wrong!

Edited by GratefulFlyers

the lack of activity on this game thread says a lot about how awful the Flyers are. They suck so bad we can't even complain about it

Through two and a half periods they are just flat boring to watch. I've been on youtube watching old hockey fights. Its made this game tolerable

Laughton blows!

• Like 2

MacEwen is my favorite forward this year. I love what he's bringing. If he could skate better he'd be a top 6 player. The few shots he's taken I think he's got an accurate shot, good hands. Where he would really help the Flyers is in the paint digging the puck out and scoring greasy goals.

I'd take him over JVR or Hayes any day of the week.

edit:

HOLY SHT did you just see THAT move? MacEwen is the one guy who's actually attacking the net tonight. He deserves more minutes tomorrow night.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

The Flyers are really a mess... 4-0 might as well be 20-0. Hart played well, good enough to give the Flyers a chance to win but getting no help no goal support. Flyers need Hart to start scoring as well as tending net.

Turnover after turnover...Bolts crashing into Hart and getting little pushback. Yeah the Flyers are a hot mess.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Agreed-this was a tough game to watch. There are lots of shots, but little payoff. With Hayes and Brassard out, we won't break two goals per game.  

They definitely poked the bear in the OTL and Tampa showed them what a 7 game series would be like.

Edited by radoran

5 games ago I was pretty "high" on this squad!.....

Well, Looks like the ol' "up and down" Flyers are back!

I just don't get it...This is a VASTLY different team than the last two years but here we go again; INCONSISTENCY!!!!!!

(And injuries!....and horrible PP, and.....)

Risto is fine in my opinion (Trade was questionable, but he brings a MUCH need physicality to our back end), MacEwen is a huge surprise as WAS brassard. Hart playing very well! Jones playing adequate. But guys like Atkinson, Farabee, TK, now coots....just disappearing from the score sheet!!??

G, TK, Farabee, Atkinson, Coots and (cough cough) JVR and we're averaging 2 goals a game?!?!?!..... AAAAHAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 😤

1 minute ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Risto is fine in my opinion (Trade was questionable, but he brings a MUCH need physicality to our back end),

We could have got "physical" for a hell of a lot less cost than what Fletch paid for "Ooooo look...hit". 

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We could have got "physical" for a hell of a lot less cost than what Fletch paid for "Ooooo look...hit". 

I agree... should of changed description of trade from "questionable" to "awful".....

But as to the player and what he has brought; I like him.... we simply overpaid but he is NOT part of the problem. as Coach X just said....look who is!

ya know....part of me wonders how good Farabee could be on a different team...But i realize it would cost me 2 goals a game every time we played him so I'll just KEEP wondering. Had high hopes for him this year....but not with this going on.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I just don't get it...This is a VASTLY different team than the last two years but here we go again; INCONSISTENCY!!!!!!

It's not that difficult.  The consistent theme the last 10 years is:

1.  they aren't that good, and

2.  they are jammed against the cap so they can't do anything about #1.

Team needs a total rebuild.

It's a terrible cycle, everyone, and it hasn't changed since well before Snider passed away. They bring back retreads that aren't worth what they pay (JVR), and if you really want examples of that...look at the late 90s and early 2000s. arrogantly want to prove to everyone that their way is working...when it is apparent to most reasonable, hockey watching fans that it isn't. They want blood from stones. The fact is, they have no pressure to draft good players, develop them for the way the game is successfully played today. Stop going to games, buying merchandise and being a sheep. Too many fans (and suits) are willing to look the other way, and Flyers management then says..."Hey the seats are filled, we must be doing something right!". This team is DULL, not very talented and the players aren't improving ...nor are they gelling. The organization has no shame, nor are they willing to adapt. All this team will ever be is mediocre at best, which isn't good enough. Then they overpay EVERYONE and screw themselves against the cap.

I think the ceiling for this team is one and done in the playoffs, so they (the Flyer org), if they're being honest need to dump Giroux off to a playoff contender at the trade deadline, and let him out of here to try for a Cup. Something, ANYTHING that allows for some decent caproom on the Flyers.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

It's not that difficult.  The consistent theme the last 10 years is:

1.  they aren't that good, and

2.  they are jammed against the cap so they can't do anything about #1.

Team needs a total rebuild.

There's a third through line across those ten years...

They built the team around the wrong player. Then doubled and tripled down on it.

I wish it weren't true, but it's increasingly obvious that it is.

• Like 1