Game 18: Flyers at Panthers; 11/24/21 @ 7PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Florida is a heavy favorite with a simulated 4-3 win.  

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/1722015/philadelphia-flyers-vs-florida-panthers-prediction-2021-11-24

It looks like Bobo versus Jones in goal.  I have not seen a report on Brassard.  Whether or not he plays, I agree with Jordan Hall's assessment that this roster needs restructuring:  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-vs-lightning-ugly-showing-tampa-bay-derick-brassard-exits-injury

You won't win many games averaging 1.9 goals.  Our third defensive pairing is not holding up well, and Ivan Provorov was -3 against Tampa.  Our forwards are struggling.  This may be turning into a November we'd just as soon not remember.

Edited by Howie58

I smell a blowout gif the cats tonight. 

I should be super excited for my trip to Philly to see the Black Friday game against the Canes but 72 hours out I’m already pissed that I will have blown another $500 weekend on this team. 

Just now, FD19372 said:

Why couldn’t this game be scheduled for tomorrow night, after I’m loaded with trytophan? 

The tryptophan will help you sleep tomorrow night.  The Flyers game will help you fall asleep tonight.  Wouldn't want both on the same night; you could slip into a coma.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

Zach MacEwen was the Flyers' best player last night - and has been good or very good every game he's played. I'm not saying put Frost next to him but the Flyers could do worse than giving MacEwen more minutes. This guy has the energy and the FU attitude - and it turns out he's got moves too. His skating isn't the most, uhh, fluid...shall we say, but give him opportunity and I bet he starts scoring goals. One of the very few Flyers who competes Every Shift.

Panthers win 4-1. Reinhart gets a couple of goals. I just don't see them getting a lot of quality shots through on Bobrovsky. Too many question marks and the offense needs to show me something that it hasn't in a while for the Flyers.

Edited by FD19372

At least we were spared the skills competition. Still...3 on 3 is such a hokey way of deciding a hockey game. A gimmick for the fans that cheapens the game imho.

The Flyers looked better tonight. Jones bailed them out many times otherwise it would've been ugly. But credit the Flyers for good energy on the 2nd night of a B2B. After the nonstop running around in the first 5 mins, when it looked like men vs boys again, once they settled into the game they played pretty good hockey and gave FLA a good fight.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:57 PM, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Florida is a heavy favorite with a simulated 4-3 win.  

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/1722015/philadelphia-flyers-vs-florida-panthers-prediction-2021-11-24

It looks like Bobo versus Jones in goal.  I have not seen a report on Brassard.  Whether or not he plays, I agree with Jordan Hall's assessment that this roster needs restructuring:  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/flyers-vs-lightning-ugly-showing-tampa-bay-derick-brassard-exits-injury

You won't win many games averaging 1.9 goals.  Our third defensive pairing is not holding up well, and Ivan Provorov was -3 against Tampa.  Our forwards are struggling.  This may be turning into a November we'd just as soon not remember.

plus: we didn't allow 4 goals

minus: we only scored 1 goal and not 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

They defended, competed and got better quality chances against Bobrovsky than I thought they would. Solid bounce back effort, very good road point.

Yay, they scored a goal and got a point!

#winning

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I wasn't able to watch.  It sounds like we competed.  But we can't seem to breach 2 goals.  Tonight follows that pattern.  I am glad Jones played well.  

Something Flyers fans haven't been able to say in awhile that it hasn't been the goaltender's fault as to why the Flyers are losing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Something Flyers fans haven't been able to say in awhile that it hasn't been the goaltender's fault as to why the Flyers are losing.

The goalies are the only reason they're mediocre. This is a lousy team with good goaltending.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The goalies are the only reason they're mediocre. This is a lousy team with good goaltending.

Lol, who would have thought Martin Jones would be a decent backup so far. How's the Colts doing so far, I don't get out to too many Wolves games.

16 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Lol, who would have thought Martin Jones would be a decent backup so far. How's the Colts doing so far, I don't get out to too many Wolves games.

The Colts got burned when Philly decided to keep Foerster in LV. He's now out for the season. Go figure.

Our goaltending was suspect but we just picked up Mack Guzda who should be a huge upgrade.  I think despite losing our best player they should be all in on this season. 

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Almost a decade later and Homers Bryz deal still biting us in the ass.

Bringing in Bryzgalov for 9 years was idiotic for so many reasons but the Flyers can't still be paying him off...?

On a side note - bc you reminded me of those years...Lavy and Homer should've supported Bobrovsky better (or at all). Giving Bryzgalov a 9 year contract sent Bob the message loud and clear. Nice work there boys - the guy you ran out of town went on to win the Vezina the very next season - and then again a few years later. //rant

Anyway - I'm guessing you had something else in mind...

37 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Bringing in Bryzgalov for 9 years was idiotic for so many reasons but the Flyers can't still be paying him off...?

$1.6M a year through 2027.

That's a Hall of Fame worthy contract right there.

39 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Nice work there boys - the guy you ran out of town went on to win the Vezina the very next season - and then again a few years later.

Fun fact: Bryzgalov was the last goalie to backstop a playoff series win before Hart.

#HallOfFameHomer