Who thinks this is still a playoff team?

Fizz

It isn't and never was, I was hoping it was going to be but alas the team is not very good.

From top to bottom this organization is a mess, sad to see.

I have given up. Been waiting 40+ years and have come to accept the sad reality that the Flyers will never win a cup in my life time. They have not given me any reason to think otherwise. The sad thing is that I used to be a passionate fan that bled orange and black and would wear my jersey even when I watched games at home. I haven’t pulled the jersey out in years and I just don’t care about the team any more.

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, trevluk said:

I have given up. Been waiting 40+ years and have come to accept the sad reality that the Flyers will never win a cup in my life time. They have not given me any reason to think otherwise. The sad thing is that I used to be a passionate fan that bled orange and black and would wear my jersey even when I watched games at home. I haven’t pulled the jersey out in years and I just don’t care about the team any more.

Sadly, I understand you. As I've said here too many times, I was a senior at Vineland High when we took the '75 Cup. After a promising start, we are sinking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trevluk said:

It is a main reason i have tried to find other things to do with my time.

It sucks.

But sometimes you just have to walk away....

• Like 1

I'd still like to see what the team Fletcher constructed plays like before I jump.

All of you all can do what you like, there are 31 teams you can root for.

The season is long the Flyers are 2 point out of a playoff spot and it isn't even December. They're playing in the toughest division in the league and have had one of the more difficult schedules. Playing top teams during 3 in 4 and 7 in 10 stretches.  It's been rough, it would be challenging with the roster intact.  Fact is, the roster is far from intact. 

There is still a lot of hockey games to be played and my hope is the majority of those games are played by different players. 

I would like to see Hayes, Ellis, and healthy first call-ups pushing guys like Brassard and Yandle down or out of the line-up.

The organizational depth is at a breaking point from all of the injuries and whom the injuries have affected. 

Frost is just a guy, he's not developing fast enough for me either, Lacszynski, hasn't been able to play, Allison hasn't been able to play, I think there is agreement that along with York and Zamula those are the guys closest to playing in the NHL. They're not available.

Those guys are better skaters and younger than the stop-gap guys Fletcher signed in FA.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pleased with the recent stretch of play. Moral victories and last second point saving heroics aren't' what I signed up to cheer for.

I also know that nothing lasts forever, so when Atkinson was shooting 67% after 5 games, I knew that wasn't going to last. I know that groin injuries heal.  

One last thing, every damn guy Fletcher signed or traded for this off season was in the leadership group of their previous team.  There is plenty of leadership. So kindly shove that tired trope down the disposal- that's not what we're seeing, it's a lazy unfounded gripe. There are plenty of legitimate gripes, no need to imagine another one.

The team needs its players available. 

This season this seems to be the most important ability. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

12 hours ago, Fizz said:

It isn't and never was, I was hoping it was going to be but alas the team is not very good.

From top to bottom this organization is a mess, sad to see.

Go back to my old posts .....

IMHO ...... "IF" the players who had a wretched season last year improve AND "IF" all the planets aligned ...this is a borderline PO team at best.  Depending on the matchup the "might" make it out of the 1st round.

IF by contender you mean Conference Finals or SCF contender ....HELL NO.

Hart and the defense "should" be better .......  is it enough only time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.

I never bought into this was a legitimate PO team .....I still don't and at the rate of lack offense this team will NOT make the PO.  I will eat crow if they do but as I said before, this team simply lacks the horses to compete with the higher echelon teams.

46 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I never bought into this was a legitimate PO team

small quibble.

Based upon the upgrades on defense, shipping out unhappy players...

And as you said goaltending not being the worst in the league and guys that had rough 20/21 seasons bouncing back for 21/22 even just reverting to the mean, it was a legitimate playoff team.

the division is tough but the team we thought we'd see on the ice in September was good enough to be in the mix.

If you want to change your wording to championship team, I can agree they are a step below the top 5 to 8 or teams right now.

The problem is we have seen that imagined preseason team for less than 3 games.

No one was thinking Yandle and Brassard would be playing big minutes in all situations.

I can say with certainty the team we're watching now, isn't a playoff team.  The roster will change as guys come back.

I still like their chances to make the tournament if guys can come back and contribute. 

As I stated earlier, even the organizational depth which was still okay prior to the season has taken a huge hit with injuries. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'd still like to see what the team Fletcher constructed plays like before I jump.

This really can't be overstated. This is not the team that the organization* expected to have on the ice.

I've not entirely given up and like you would like to see a healthy group as intended on the ice. I just realistically don't know if they get to that point this season.

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

One last thing, every damn guy Fletcher signed or traded for this off season was in the leadership group of their previous team. 

Fine and agreed that they were parts of leadership groups in places like Buffalo, Columbus, and Arizona. And fine, Yandle was in Florida but his leadership group skills didn't lean towards them re-signing him. In fact, he was bought out.

And he's one of two of those guys you're referencing - alongside Brassard - you yourself say should be "down or out" of the lineup.

The team doesn't have a lot of leaders who have won, know how to win, or have shown they inspire others to win.

Ellis could be an important exception but he's not playing and realistically may not until next calendar year. And groin injuries do heal, but they often have recurring issues especially in the short term if not actually allowed to fully heal.

And we can agree to differ, but I still don't see Mr. Not All His Fault as some great leader - and my perspective is only his entire career as captain. Yes, players in his room and on his roster say they like him and he's a leader but they haven't won much of anything under his leadership.

Not All His Fault, but I from where I sit he isn't entirely exonerated of responsibility.

54 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The team needs its players available. 

It really truly does. And I've made that point as well. And I hope they come around as I do think that this roster as assembled has a legitimate shot to be a playoff team ("anything can happen").

It's too early to fire coaches or blow things up. Guys need to come back, they need to come back healthy, and they need to integrate as a team. Those are three big challenges facing a squad a quarter of the way into the season in the most difficult division in the sport.

But this team wasn't supposed to be on the level of Detroit, Columbus, and Buffalo - teams around them in the standings. So I get why people are frustrated. If this team was playing with the intensity level of those three and losing close, hard fought games the perspective of many would likely be different.

Instead we're still just getting "we know we need to play better" from Mr. Not All His Fault - trademarked.

And so I return to what I've been saying for several years - stop telling me what needs to happen and start DOING it.

Give me a reason to care and I'll sing along forever.

• Like 3

Me and EJ Radek (along with a lot of us) are wondering the same thing. I think I mentioned a few days back that exact question - what kind of team is AV trying to put together? They're not a run 'n gun team, they're far from a puck-possession team, they're not a tight-checking, stingy-with-the-puck club...What the hell are they?

Hartnell pulls no punches and he's right on the money. NObody skating for the Flyers wants to hurt you, can hurt you. He's not referring to BSB type of hockey he's talking simple basics: finishing your checks, getting after pucks, winning battles, etc. And he's right if not for Hart and Jones playing so well the Flyers would be at the bottom of the league.

They haven't been hard to play against for weeks. Aside from some moments here and there the Flyers are soft.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

If this team was playing with the intensity level of those three and losing close, hard fought games the perspective of many would likely be different.

Unfortunately for the "let's wait and see" crowd, who don't want to judge this team prematurely (until Ellis is back in the lineup) the above argues against that idea. The Flyers are playing soft hockey, full stop. If Ellis ever gets back into the lineup will his presence spark 20+ other guys into playing the right way? I doubt it. He will help - if he's healthy - of course he will. But losing Ellis is not this team's problem. They've got bigger issues and they won't be solved by Ellis or any other 1 or 2 players. It's team-wide at this point and blame the captain he's as good a target as any right now.

• Like 2

Mojo, thanks once again for taking me to the sunny side of the street. 

As I said the other day, how many times does this dysfunctional organization want to bang their soft heads against a  hard wall? Their plan of signing and trading for old, broken, soft, down side of their career 30 somethings is embarrassing and for 10 years obviously ineffective. 

Is this a playoff team? Who cares. They are unwatchable. Soft, slow, disinterested, indifferent, rudderless, leaderless, pathetic and shameful. It should be a freaking honour and privilege to play in the NHL, to play for a franchise Ed Snider and Keith Allen built into an esteemed franchise. This group acts like a group of entitled little bitch teenage girls. Never first to the puck, never take a hit to make a play, never on the hard side of the puck, never moving without the puck, the very basics you are taught when you're 10 years old.

When you merge groups of people, its up to leadership to take the group to the high ground, the natural tendency is to go to the lowest common denominator. Well, guess where all of Fletch's acquisitions have landed? They have all migrated to the smoldering pile of mess the Flyers have been for a decade. 

Trade em all for picks and prospects. This group will never be winners.

57 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

small quibble.

Based upon the upgrades on defense, shipping out unhappy players...

And as you said goaltending not being the worst in the league and guys that had rough 20/21 seasons bouncing back for 21/22 even just reverting to the mean, it was a legitimate playoff team.

the division is tough but the team we thought we'd see on the ice in September was good enough to be in the mix.

If you want to change your wording to championship team, I can agree they are a step below the top 5 to 8 or teams right now.

The problem is we have seen that imagined preseason team for less than 3 games.

No one was thinking Yandle and Brassard would be playing big minutes in all situations.

I can say with certainty the team we're watching now, isn't a playoff team.  The roster will change as guys come back.

I still like their chances to make the tournament if guys can come back and contribute. 

As I stated earlier, even the organizational depth which was still okay prior to the season has taken a huge hit with injuries. 

Can't argue with anything you said..  Point of clarification, I know some on here were stating that this was definitely a playoff team and I read elsewhere on the world wild web that at the Flyers were going to make the playoffs based on the moves they made.  I'm just saying that I was always cautious when reading those articles .....

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

This x100 ...this is exactly what I feared and the injuries have not helped. :(

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

it helps if they can bury the puck in the back of the net also ... (sorry..sarcastic font not directed at you....)

I still say that when Voracek hit the road, Giroux had to go, too. They're going to end up holding onto him too long, if they haven't already. Sell high. If, for example, Vancouver wants to package JT Miller for Giroux and something....I pull the trigger. It's a shame not to send G to a contender, but that's the way it is. Hopefully, the Canucks are a team he wants to go to. If he doesn't want to go there, see who else wants him that's on his NMC list.

52 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I still say that when Voracek hit the road, Giroux had to go, too. They're going to end up holding onto him too long, if they haven't already. Sell high. If, for example, Vancouver wants to package JT Miller for Giroux and something....I pull the trigger. It's a shame not to send G to a contender, but that's the way it is. Hopefully, the Canucks are a team he wants to go to. If he doesn't want to go there, see who else wants him that's on his NMC list.

Why would Giroux want to go to Vancouver? I mean it's a beautiful location, but....

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But losing Ellis is not this team's problem. They've got bigger issues and they won't be solved by Ellis or any other 1 or 2 players.

Not having an experienced top pair defenseman is certainly one of their problems. But not the only one, no.

Losing that and the "second line center" didn't allow the team to take all of the new pieces and work into a coherent whole.

But they are playing Very Soft and also seem to have the same laissez faire attitude that all they really need to do is go out and the success will come to them.

I just don't see the competitive drive.

I would have liked to see what the revamped roster could have done out of the gate. Instead we've had a series of injuries that have left them derailed and demoralized with no one really picking it up.

It may not have made a difference. But I would have liked to see it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

It's a shame not to send G to a contender, but that's the way it is.

I honestly don't care if he gets "his Cup" - if he goes anywhere (and I don't think he will) what matters to me is what's coming back.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

until we get rid of AV and get with the times.

I'm no AV acolyte, but the guy has been further in the playoffs than most coaches.

They've tried experience, they've tried first timers, they've now tried a two time Cup Finalist.

WHO IS IT that finally gets this team to put it all together?

I'm not sure that guy exists because I'm not convinced that this team is a coaching change away from competiveness...

• Like 1