Sens Mulling Multiple Buyouts

radoran

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/11/rumor-ottawa-senators-considering.html

According to Shawn Simpson of TSN, the Ottawa Senators have several players who could strongly be considered to be bought out by the hockey club after this season. The names include Matt Murray, Colin White, Nikita Zaitsev and Michael Del Zotto.

Ottawa, in an effort to demonstrate the fiscal responsibility that necessitated the league to lock out the players for a year and a half this century, is considering paying multiple players not to play for them anymore.

White would be paid $5.8M over the next six years to not play for Ottawa.

Zaitsev would get $3.3M over the next four years.

del Zotto $1.5M over the next two seasons.

Murray would be $10M over the next four years.

So the small market, Canadian team that the lockouts were absolutely essential to keep in business because of their fiscal situation could pay out over $20M to have players not play for them.

Because, you know, fiscal responsibility.

It would leave them with seven signed players from the current roster for next season.

Fiscal responsibility would have been never signing Murray or Zaitsev long term. Del Zotto is a 7th dman in an age when 6th Dmen make league minimum. White? I really thought he was going to be a player, not sure what went wrong, His contract was a mistake then and looks absurd now. 

I wouldnt call it fiscal responsibility to clear these guys off the books, more like clearing the deck for a fresh start. Usually this happens when a new regime takes over, the problem is this is the same idiots who signed these guys in the first place getting another chance to screw it up yet again with a new bunch of players. That to me is criminal to all the Sens fans in the nations capital. They deserve better than seeing Zaitsev bought out only to be replaced by a Cam Fowler or someone like that on an overinflated deal. there is no rhyme or reason to what is going on in Ottawa and how Dorion still is in place is beyond me.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

I wouldnt call it fiscal responsibility to clear these guys off the books, more like clearing the deck for a fresh start.

Right but the concept that billionaire owners couldn't afford to pay the players was the basis of the salary cap driven lockout...

• Like 1