OK, I've had it!

Lunatic

if you haven't gone to a game in "many years" it's a shock how much has changed. It hit me at MSG a few years ago, then in Philly the year after. Corporate culture and Marketing 101 has invaded the rink and taken complete control. It is so far from the experience at the Spectrum, or the Igloo or any of the old barns - like night and day - where you were surrounded by fans who were there to actually watch the game. There's still plenty of them going to games today but there's also So Many who obviously have no interest or little interest in hockey or in the game at hand. Staring at their stupid Eyephones...

The gdamn jumbotron - which is probably run by an algorithm - tells fans when to clap - the little animation.... How childish and unnecessary is that? Plus the constant music blaring at every break, the very instant the action stops on the ice...keep you pumped up so you'll spend spend spend.

The advertising dripping off every edifice is the worst though. Soon guys will be sporting corporate logos on their sweaters and helmets - if they're not already.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

o god right - the freaking stairs. Next is the urinals - if they're not covered with logos already.

Perhaps my favorite was the realization that they had put together a sponsorship package for the vomitoriums.

10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

if you haven't gone to a game in "many years" it's a shock how much has changed. It hit me at MSG a few years ago, then in Philly the year after. Corporate culture and Marketing 101 has invaded the rink and taken complete control. It is so far from the experience at the Spectrum, or the Igloo or any of the old barns - like night and day - where you were surrounded by fans who were there to actually watch the game. There's still plenty of them going to games today but there's also So Many who obviously have no interest or little interest in hockey or in the game at hand. Staring at their stupid Eyephones...

The gdamn jumbotron - which is probably run by an algorithm - tells fans when to clap - the little animation.... How childish and unnecessary is that? Plus the constant music blaring at every break, the very instant the action stops on the ice...keep you pumped up so you'll spend spend spend.

The advertising dripping off every edifice is the worst though. Soon guys will be sporting corporate logos on their sweaters and helmets - if they're not already.

C'mon bro they have to do something to distract from the putrid product on the ice they have a business to run...I am sure Snider is rolling over in his grave...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

While I agree some of this is corporate greed the other piece is the changing times.  If a business doesn't change, they die as you know.  The younger generations require constant "entertainment" and quite frankly with the number of stoppages in a hockey game, it doesn't give it to them.  I have two kids 12 & 8 who watch games with me from time to time.  The oldest said the other night "it feels like they don't play more than they play" along with "why are do they stop all the time".     Well, the kid has a point.   

Here's the rough math:

~3 commercial breaks each period @ 2:00 each = 18:00

~60 faceoffs @ ~ 0:20 each? = 20:00

2 intermissions @ 18:00 each = 36:00

===== 74 minutes of non-hockey vs 60 minutes of hockey ====== 

The average length of a game is 2:20-2:40 so my math is a little off but not by much.

Quite frankly, without the non-hockey entertainment, the sport is doomed as us old-diehards go senile.    So while I understand exactly what you are saying, I completely understand it.   Don't get me started on the NFL (which I've stopped watching completely).

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

While I agree some of this is corporate greed the other piece is the changing times.  If a business doesn't change, they die as you know.  The younger generations require constant "entertainment" and quite frankly with the number of stoppages in a hockey game, it doesn't give it to them.  I have two kids 12 & 8 who watch games with me from time to time.  The oldest said the other night "it feels like they don't play more than they play" along with "why are do they stop all the time".     Well, the kid has a point.   

Here's the rough math:

~3 commercial breaks each period @ 2:00 each = 18:00

~60 faceoffs @ ~ 0:20 each? = 20:00

2 intermissions @ 18:00 each = 36:00

===== 74 minutes of non-hockey vs 60 minutes of hockey ====== 

The average length of a game is 2:20-2:40 so my math is a little off but not by much.

Quite frankly, without the non-hockey entertainment, the sport is doomed as us old-diehards go senile.    So while I understand exactly what you are saying, I completely understand it.   Don't get me started on the NFL (which I've stopped watching completely).

It is sad how they've let TV interrupt the game. 

That said, it's still a pretty damn good bang for your buck compared to football.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It is sad how they've let TV interrupt the game. 

That said, it's still a pretty damn good bang for your buck compared to football.

And both better than baseball.

Average time:   3 hours.  10 minutes.

Literally 2 hours 45 minutes of the majority of 18 players standing doing exactly nothing of visual interest.

In a really good game, 25 minutes of action--not consecutive.   like 30 second increments across the 3 hours.  Maybe as much as a minute.

Sounds like a year of marriage condensed to 3 hours to me.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Literally 2 hours 45 minutes of the majority of 18 players standing doing exactly nothing of visual interest.

In a really good game, 25 minutes of action--not consecutive.   like 30 second increments across the 3 hours.  Maybe as much as a minute.

Good post!🤣

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Baseball (and my marriage) are the worst.   Baseball and Golf are the two best drugs to help me sleep.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Digityman said:

Quite frankly, without the non-hockey entertainment, the sport is doomed as us old-diehards go senile. 

Maybe but I don't think it has to be "doomed" if the NHL would get back to what made NHL games at the rink so much better than watching them on TV. As it is now half the time I feel like I am watching on TV...commercials blaring every break, constant reminders about the concession counter.

The televised NHL product pretty much sucks. It's basically 30/70 game vs. commercials. But okay fine TV is all about selling product. It has gotten ridiculous now with this Split Screen showing a commercial while the game is still going on. The crawl at the bottom is invisible but it reads: THAT'S RIGHT SUCKER NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

So anyway - make the rink completely different than TV, make it about hockey and only hockey. Show the damn scores again from around the league again. Oh they show them now, for about 8 seconds. Then it's right back to "blah blah blah at your Local Ford Dealer..."

If I was in charge of "growing the game" as the execs say that's where I'd start - at the rink. Some number-crunching dickhead will tell me it's a loser financially. That's when I'd take my old Sherwood and bash him right in his chops.

Well anyway - just spitballing. I have no idea if it would expand interest. But it does seem to me like a no-brainer: make the Live Game as different from the TV Game as you can. Give fans a REAL escape not just more of the same sell sell sell.

A rebuild should be the next move. Look at Ottawa, at the beginning of the season they announced they're out of rebuild mode after several bad years and look at them go! Hmm bad analogy. 

But yeah, to be serious it's needed. I remember a couple of years ago someone here shared an article describing the flyers as "consistently mediocre". The point made was that they never got to be terrible but never really were a threat in terms of making playoff runs, they just kinda floated in that middle zone. I think this is the eventual result, not enough planning in a long term sense has cost them.

I guess the question is whether the GM can pull off a long term plan to pull apart and put the team back together, and whether ownership will have the patience to let him enact it

• Like 1