Time to fire the 3 stooges!

Fizz

We need Steve Yzerman!! Look what he is doing in Detroit. Look what he built in Tampa. Seems when he puts his hands on it it turns to gold. You wont see that from Fletcher. We seem to be stuck with the overflow of crap GM's. 

As for the coaching it has been changed several times and the end result has been the same so I will not lay all the blame on the Coaches. Just so you know I have never been a fan of any of these coaches. 

I have been a flyers fan for almost 50 years and i would like to see them win another cup but just dont think that will happen in my life time. 

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Neither did Laviolette's - who has only won a Cup and subsequently taken another team to the Final.

Nor did Berube's - who has subsequently won a Cup with another franchise

And now AV's doesn't work, either - a coach who has been to two Cup finals with two other franchises

Now, stay with me here, I'm speculating that it just maybe, perhaps, might not be "the coach".

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Or it could be a combination of both when it comes to coaching and the leadership group on this team. AV has a hard time playing young players unless he has no other choice. As for leadership, Giroux looks like he needs a change of scenery. The Flyers have lost 7 straight so if they keep losing something is going to happen whether it's the coaches or some players being traded. Or maybe a lot of empty seats at the rink.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TaazD said:

We need Steve Yzerman!! Look what he is doing in Detroit. Look what he built in Tampa. Seems when he puts his hands on it it turns to gold. You wont see that from Fletcher. We seem to be stuck with the overflow of crap GM's. 

As for the coaching it has been changed several times and the end result has been the same so I will not lay all the blame on the Coaches. Just so you know I have never been a fan of any of these coaches. 

I have been a flyers fan for almost 50 years and i would like to see them win another cup but just dont think that will happen in my life time. 

Because the Flyers love the motto:

familiarity breeds contempt

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Or it could be a combination of both when it comes to coaching and the leadership group on this team. AV has a hard time playing young players unless he has no other choice.

It's a combination of both. When you're a coach and you're charged with "making the playoffs" your focus is going to be on putting players out there that you feel comfortable with rather than "taking a chance" on developing a player.

So you wind up with Brassard instead of Frost, for example.

And when you're a GM and you're charged with "making the playoff next year" then you wind up filling a short term need to a long term boat anchor and that's where you wind with with "best available" Kevin Hayes as your second line center for seven years.

And that's where the organization's* phillyosophy has tripped them up for a decade.

25 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

As for leadership, Giroux looks like he needs a change of scenery. The Flyers have lost 7 straight so if they keep losing something is going to happen whether it's the coaches or some players being traded.

Yep, rearranging deck chairs. Again.

Well yes to everything above. We are officially crap - again, so a tear down and rebuild seems right, all the management and coaches should go.

It's funny cause I thought Hextall had the right plan, lots of picks, a young goalie to build out from, lots of cap space, and then they signed JVR  and then Hayes for way too much and Giroux's a good player but a crap captain and they have no identity and can't seem to decide what they want to be and etc etc and now it's just a big bag of uninspired nothing. Games are boring as hell (as well as lost obviously). So disappointing. 

The Risto trade if nothing else should decide Fletcher's fate. Buffalo got quite a haul there for a guy who, admittedly likes to hit things, but is erratic as hell and very overrated. If we deadline deal him that trade becomes a total joke, and a perfect example of how these guys can't stick to a plan and just keep shuffling the deck chairs while the ship goes down. 

Start with Hart. 

Move out everybody over the age of 25 and any younger slackers.

Stock up on picks and prospects.

and join the fight for Wright. 

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

It doesn't seem that long ago that I watched a road game vs the Caps where guys were contesting every inch of ice.

It was an exciting game, the Flyers dictated the play for 45 minutes. They back checked everywhere. 

It was a good game played by what looked like a good team. They won 2-1 but it was an exciting game lots of chances both ways.

What the hell has happened since then ?

Answer that question and you're on your way to fixing this team. My question about that question is: Do the players know the answer? Does AV? Is there something going on behind the scenes that we fans don't see? The answer just can't be "not enough talent" or "no heart" or "the captain is an underachiever" or any of that crap.

Some talk about the philosophy that's made the Flyers permanently mediocre. That's true. But even this supposedly mediocre bunch played well the first few weeks.

Losing Ellis hurt but it doesn't explain these results. It doesn't begin to explain 4 for 50 on the PP and it sure as hell doesn't tell us why Couturier can't be bothered to battle for pucks anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Answer that question and you're on your way to fixing this team. My question about that question is: Do the players know the answer? Does AV? Is there something going on behind the scenes that we fans don't see? The answer just can't be "not enough talent" or "no heart" or "the captain is an underachiever" or any of that crap.

Some talk about the philosophy that's made the Flyers permanently mediocre. That's true. But even this supposedly mediocre bunch played well the first few weeks.

Losing Ellis hurt but it doesn't explain these results. It doesn't begin to explain 4 for 50 on the PP and it sure as hell doesn't tell us why Couturier can't be bothered to battle for pucks anymore.

and we are not going against bad goalies either, it's probably the reason why are struggling especially with these teams we are playing against. i mean if we were playing against some bad goalies, i think maybe we would probably be scoring more goals that's where our goal scoring talent comes in, if we cant beat these great goalies no matter what we do then it's a talent problem because we will not survive a seven game playoff series against these goalies if we cant score goals.

Too many mid league players making high end player money, IE Giroux, JVR, Hayes, Ellis  and Couturier to a point.

Going to be hard to dump all these high contracts only godsend is Giroux's contract up after this year.

Hayes, I just don't get his 7 mil contract.....he just isn't that good.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

It's a combination of both. When you're a coach and you're charged with "making the playoffs" your focus is going to be on putting players out there that you feel comfortable with rather than "taking a chance" on developing a player.

So you wind up with Brassard instead of Frost, for example.

And when you're a GM and you're charged with "making the playoff next year" then you wind up filling a short term need to a long term boat anchor and that's where you wind with with "best available" Kevin Hayes as your second line center for seven years.

And that's where the organization's* phillyosophy has tripped them up for a decade.

Yep, rearranging deck chairs. Again.

Well I think the players have tuned out AV so if you're the GM what would you do. Lots of fans on here want to do a rebuild which I have no problem doing so who would be your core players to build with.

8 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

the biggest problem with hextall is he never moved up in the draft, he always kept trading down and taking projects. if hextall took his head out of his butt and traded up to get talent instead of projects maybe this team would be better.

Hextall got a goalie. Just for that he deserves credit.

He also got a real defenceman, who for whatever reason (Flyers) seems to be regressing instead of developing. The same can be said for Farabee, and Konecny.

Hextall was far from great, but at least he realized the team actually needed those two positions.

The worst thing he did was JVRs contract, which IMO was forced on him from above. JVR is about as anti-Hextall of a player as you can get.

I actually don't recall him always trading down either. He did it a couple times. So has Fletcher. Along with "Homering" draft picks...a.k.a. giving them away. Hextall hoarded picks.

Edited by flyercanuck

I don’t see much point discussing who to keep while Chuck Fletcher is in charge, with Homer and Clarke lurking just down the hall. The old gang of Flyers has never been interested in rebuilding and Fletcher got the gig bc he fits right in. Sad but I do believe that’s the truth.

Maybe the old gang could put together a SC winner bc they finally have a great goaltender Carter Hart. They also have a couple very talented young players like Provorov, Farabee and Konecny. Maybe Frost? And more definite-maybes in Lehigh.

But unless they admit that Chuck Fletcher and the old-gang philosophy will never get it done the Flyers are sure to “waste” these player’s best years.

Of course this assumes the old gang backed by Comcast is truly interested in building a SC winner. I’m not convinced they are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Because the Flyers love the motto:

familiarity breeds contempt

It does indeed, from their fans that aren't blind sheep.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hextall was far from great, but at least he realized the team actually needed those two positions.

Hextall’s real mistake was not finishing the entire makeover and producing a SC winner within 3 years. 

edit: by waving his magic wand, that is. (in case the sarcasm wasn’t clear)

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindbergh31 said:

who would be your core players to build with.

Hart

Couturier

Provorov

Konecny

Farabee

Probably keep Ellis. Maybe Lindblom. I'm OK with Laughton in his role. Propsects like Allison, Old Foerster, Frost, York.

That said, I do believe that this current roster at full strength with the addition of a competent and effective top flight second line center could be competitive. A Cup winner? Might be a reach. And also depends heavily on the players playing hard and to their potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Hart

Couturier

Provorov

Konecny

Farabee

Probably keep Ellis. Maybe Lindblom. I'm OK with Laughton in his role. Propsects like Allison, Old Foerster, Frost, York.

That said, I do believe that this current roster at full strength with the addition of a competent and effective top flight second line center could be competitive. A Cup winner? Might be a reach. And also depends heavily on the players playing hard and to their potential.

I agree with your list plus Ellis won't be going anywhere. Fletcher made moves this past summer to change things but it hasn't panned out the way he hoped so far. The unfortunate thing is Fletcher, Holmgren and Clarke are going to look for a quick fix and say screw the future, so we as fans may never see a proper rebuild with the Flyers.

• Like 1