Pretty good "Giroux must go" column in THN

https://thehockeynews.com/news/if-flyers-rebuild-giroux-needs-to-go

It combines "his value will never be higher" with cautions about aging veterans. Giroux will be 34 in a few weeks and is still close to a pt/game player. It's basically now or never to replace him with a 1R + ____ . The blank is where Fletcher has to earn his pay. It should be a blue-chip prospect or a roster player. Or is that too much to expect?

I remember never missing an issue of The Hockey News in years gone by. This morning, seeing that link, I thought "Oh yeah, The Hockey News is still around". Anyway, yeah, their headline is quite correct: if the Flyers rebuild, they need to move Giroux. Seems like a "water is wet" thing to write, but so it goes.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Seems like a "water is wet" thing to write, but so it goes.

It does, but in Philly there's automatic resistance to trading away long-time Flyers. Resistance coming from the suits not so much from the fans I think. So it's good to see THN chime in. Maybe somebody at the Flyers/Comcast reads it.

24 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I remember never missing an issue of The Hockey News in years gone by. This morning, seeing that link, I thought "Oh yeah, The Hockey News is still around". Anyway, yeah, their headline is quite correct: if the Flyers rebuild, they need to move Giroux. Seems like a "water is wet" thing to write, but so it goes.

Used to love the Hockey News but if you look at it now every page is 90% ads and 10% Hockey.  It's been that way for many years.  You get better News from the Philly papers. Hockey News is expensive for a couple of sentences about your team.It's not worth it at all.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Or is that too much to expect?

Yes.  G on an expiring contract doesn't get you a 1st and a blue chip prospect.  I would say either plus a mid round pick is more like it (i.e. a 1st and a 3rd would be a home run).

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I hope you're wrong. Springtime PO potential makes a lot of GMs cuckoo. Hopefully Chuckie can find one and pluck a pigeon. Giroux is worth more than a 1st and a 3rd at PO time.

It does have to be the right situation and opportunity.

AND it has to be a place Giroux wants to go.

AND the senior hockey advisors need to sign off on it.

It's not impossible by any stretch, but it's not simple either.

I just don't see them trading Giroux.

Yes, I think they should.

I think it's possible Giroux gets dealt. This time feels different, like maybe the usual "fire the coach because we can't fire 23 guys" move won't end the same way.

Comcast can't be satisfied with the dwindling ticket sales (and its impact on concessions and merchandise sales). They must see the direction it's going since they bought the team and can't be happy about it. I doubt they'll ever fire Bobby Clarke but the Comcast crew has to be wondering by now, "is this the best he and his old Broad Street buddies can do?"

30 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I think it's possible Giroux gets dealt. This time feels different, like maybe the usual "fire the coach because we can't fire 23 guys" move won't end the same way.

Comcast can't be satisfied with the dwindling ticket sales (and its impact on concessions and merchandise sales). They must see the direction it's going since they bought the team and can't be happy about it. I doubt they'll ever fire Bobby Clarke but the Comcast crew has to be wondering by now, "is this the best he and his old Broad Street buddies can do?"

At Clarks age maybe it will be suggested to him it's time to retire.

No reason to keep Giroux.  Such a mixed bag of a career as a Flyer.  Pronger getting hurt and retiring was the worst thing to happen to him.  He needed other leaders in the room.

But we know how the story will go: Flyers will show flashes of good play and climb into PO contention.  Fletcher will be in limbo at the deadline, caught between the mirage of being a playoff team (and potential meddling from corporate) and knowing the Flyers really have no chance to do anything meaningful if they do make the POs.  As a result, Giroux won't be traded (again, corporate bringing pressure to bear on several fronts) and he will either be signed to a stupid contract or sign elsewhere for nothing, the former being the more likely scenario imo.  Either way, rebuilding is delayed and more years of mediocrity ensue. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vis said:

No reason to keep Giroux.  Such a mixed bag of a career as a Flyer.  Pronger getting hurt and retiring was the worst thing to happen to him.  He needed other leaders in the room.

But we know how the story will go: Flyers will show flashes of good play and climb into PO contention.  Fletcher will be in limbo at the deadline, caught between the mirage of being a playoff team (and potential meddling from corporate) and knowing the Flyers really have no chance to do anything meaningful if they do make the POs.  As a result, Giroux won't be traded (again, corporate bringing pressure to bear on several fronts) and he will either be signed to a stupid contract or sign elsewhere for nothing, the former being the more likely scenario imo.  Either way, rebuilding is delayed and more years of mediocrity ensue. 

Nah. The Flyers are done for the year they won't climb anywhere.

Edited by Fizz

• 1 month later...