AV fired!

Samifan

4 hours ago, Goblin99 said:

Sadly too much blame is put on G. He is being used completely wrong for years. He was given no help at all and just expected to put up numbers like Lindros. Its BS. The guy isn't bad at all he just isn't what this organization is trying to make him. Thats the problem here... the Fyers NEVER get it right. They always try and put square plugs in round holes. Until it stops the Team is doomed. 

You aren't wrong.  He's a great player, just had no help and isn't a captain.   This is a management thing, not a player thing. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Digityman said:

You aren't wrong.  He's a great player, just had no help and isn't a captain.   This is a management thing, not a player thing. 

I don't pin it all on Giroux, but he is the face of the worst decade of hockey in organizational* history. It's not "his" fault, but that's what he is.

And, to me, a team outright quitting has some reflection on the guy wearing the C. And when that has happened (at least) twice and the guy has seen now four coaches shown the door, those aren't Good Things either...

He has been terribly miscast and tremendously badly served by management. Particularly the Hall of Fame guy who "won the trades," extended Giroux, and put him in the position he was in no way prepared to fill and has never been able to adequately fill it.

So, not entirely his fault. For all that's worth. And he'll inevitably join Homer in the increasingly irrelevant Flyers Hall of Fame.

Other than that, at this point I can't see anything else he's going to be remembered for as captain. There was that one time he hit Crosby, though...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I agree Patrick was a bad pick. His injuries were well-known and the Flyers chose to ignore it. They could've listened to the minority who said "pass." But unless I'm mistaken the overwhelming majority had Patrick going #2 after Hischier.

That was certainly conventional wisdom.

To me the real error was slotting him in as the starting 2C instead of sending him back to junior.

Another typical organizational* mistake...

• Like 4

here's what i would do, tank for a few years hopefully we draft two star centers and get a star defenseman then go for it in 2024 or 2025 by adding cheap vets and hopefully a star player from fa will come here and this team will be back in the winning column. it just sucks we are wasting hart though, not unless you send him back to the phantoms for a few years let him get confidence and not let the losing get to him.

i really dont know what to do in this situation right now. the team is just bad right now and we need talent, not unless you retool by getting rid of cap vet players somehow and use the picks and some players on here to bring in older talent. i think that's best thing you can do for hart. tanking with hart on this roster isnt a good idea not unless they trade him too and just get a star goalie from another team when this team is ready to compete.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

here's what i would do, tank for a few years hopefully we draft two star centers and get a star defenseman then go for it in 2024 or 2025 by adding cheap vets and hopefully a star player from fa will come here and this team will be back in the winning column. it just sucks we are wasting hart though, not unless you send him back to the phantoms for a few years let him get confidence and not let the losing get to him.

i really dont know what to do in this situation right now. the team is just bad right now and we need talent, not unless you retool by getting rid of cap vet players somehow and use the picks and some players on here to bring in older talent. i think that's best thing you can do for hart. tanking with hart on this roster isnt a good idea not unless they trade him too and just get a star goalie from another team when this team is ready to compete.

You're right. Tanking with Hart would be bad  however, you know as well as everyone else that this team won't be allowed to tank by its management. So unless the management is cleaned out, there is no tanking

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Digityman said:

You're right. Tanking with Hart would be bad  however, you know as well as everyone else that this team won't be allowed to tank by its management. So unless the management is cleaned out, there is no tanking

then i guess we have to go short term moves like bringing in older stars and hopefully that works out.

7 hours ago, Goblin99 said:

Sadly too much blame is put on G. He is being used completely wrong for years. He was given no help at all and just expected to put up numbers like Lindros. Its BS. The guy isn't bad at all he just isn't what this organization is trying to make him. Thats the problem here... the Fyers NEVER get it right. They always try and put square plugs in round holes. Until it stops the Team is doomed. 

Sadly I feel that he should have never gotten the C  

I forget the exact circumstances but it felt a bit forced if I recall correctly 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tucson83 said:

then i guess we have to go short term moves like bringing in older stars and hopefully that works out.

We've been doing that for 40 years. It usually works out pretty good...for the older star...who signs way too long for way too much and then usually gets bought out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

We've been doing that for 40 years. It usually works out pretty good...for the older star...who signs way too long for way too much and then usually gets bought out.

then you trade hart then, he's not going to want to be part of a tanking roster and it will probably make him a mediocre player because it will destroy his confidence.

Edited by tucson83

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

then you trade hart then, he's not going to want to be part of a tanking roster and it will probably make him a mediocre player because it will destroy his confidence.

The problem with trading Hart is, it's also been a 40 year project trying to find a starting goalie.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The problem with trading Hart is, it's also been a 40 year project trying to find a starting goalie.

then you have to choose either hart or tank because keeping hart while tanking will ruin him, it's bad enough last year he had no defense around him and getting lit up, you really think keeping him with no defense for next 5 years of tanking is going to help him?

18 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

then you have to choose either hart or tank because keeping hart while tanking will ruin him, it's bad enough last year he had no defense around him and getting lit up, you really think keeping him with no defense for next 5 years of tanking is going to help him?

I don't think it's going to matter if we keep him or trade him, tank or bring in older stars. As long as Fletcher/Homer/Clarke/Scott are ruining running the show I just expect inept decisions after more inept decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Not entirely true...

Lindbergh was a tragic accident.

Hextall fit the billing.

They signed a FA Russian future Vezina winner and traded him for a 2nd and 2 4ths so they could buy out Bryzgalov.

They're just never going to go the tear it down and rebuild it route with the current "management". Not gonna happen because

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

As long as Fletcher/Homer/Clarke/Scott are ruining running the show

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Dumb player who hits hard. Costs the Flyers $3375 to pick up from waivers. When you consider ClusterChuck gave up Ghost, a 1st, 2-2nds, a 7th and Hagg for Ristolainen, this looks like a pretty good deal...even though he completely sucks.

Hall of Fame post right there

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Not entirely true...

Lindbergh was a tragic accident.

Hextall fit the billing.

They signed a FA Russian future Vezina winner and traded him for a 2nd and 2 4ths so they could buy out Bryzgalov.

They're just never going to go the tear it down and rebuild it route with the current "management". Not gonna happen because

Lindbergh was drafted 42 years ago. Hextall was drafted 40 years ago this upcoming draft. Homer traded away Bob before he truly became a starter. So I stand by what I said . :bigteeth:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Lindbergh was drafted 42 years ago. Hextall was drafted 40 years ago this upcoming draft. Homer traded away Bob before he truly became a starter. So I stand by what I said . :bigteeth:

Jeebus I'm old...

Surprised Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Dumb player

Really?

Well damn that isn't encouraging at all.

Last thing this squad needs is a dumbass.

Was hoping he could help some if nothing else give Yandle a better partner.

Oh another deck chair to go with the rest.

15 hours ago, radoran said:

To me the real error was slotting him in as the starting 2C instead of sending him back to junior.

Wow that's right I completely forgot about that. That was the real dumbass move. The Flyers treated him like he was some generational talent who would amaze everyone out of the gate.

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wow that's right I completely forgot about that. That was the real dumbass move. The Flyers treated him like he was some generational talent who would amaze everyone out of the gate.

to be fair, he does have a lot of talent (puck skills), and size...it didn't work out for myriad reasons, but he would have been the 2nd or 3rd most skilled player on the Flyers. Maybe not a generational talent, but he represented an immediate infusion of talent from Hextall's beloved Brandon Wheat Kings.

Oh no question - his talent in the W was plain as day. I don't get to watch the WHL but even I heard about the kid before the draft. But the "myriad reasons" basically boil down to History of Injury, which at the very least (considering he's not a Matthews or McDavid) should've made the Flyers realize that the A, not the big club, was the best destination for his rookie season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Oh no question - his talent in the W was plain as day. I don't get to watch the WHL but even I heard about the kid before the draft. But the "myriad reasons" basically boil down to History of Injury, which at the very least (considering he's not a Matthews or McDavid) should've made the Flyers realize that the A, not the big club, was the best destination for his rookie season.

many missteps by many people have led us to this * gestures broadly* 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

He really hadn't played a lot of hockey leading up to "now you're in the NHL"

It combined the overvaluing of players upon being drafted by the Flyers with their predilection for rushing players back from injury too soon. It was a perfect storm of the problems that this organization* has had for decades.

Might have ruined the career of a player that NHL Central Scouting said "he is the real deal and he will be an impact NHL player". Certainly didn't help the franchise.

• Like 1