AV fired!

Samifan

35 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wow that's right I completely forgot about that. That was the real dumbass move. The Flyers treated him like he was some generational talent who would amaze everyone out of the gate.

His 21 points in 23 games had most of us thinking he could/would be in 2010.

Problem was he was always a Robin in search of his Batman and well is still looking...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Really?

Well damn that isn't encouraging at all.

Last thing this squad needs is ANOTHER dumbass.

Was hoping he could help some if nothing else give Yandle a better partner.

Oh another deck chair to go with the rest.

FIFY

• Good Post 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

No offense but this is silly. How does one guy "allow" a team to quit? Has he been a bad example all this time? Hungover at practices, what? We should've heard something by now...

I really mean "no offense" because I have a feeling maybe you're just blowing off steam. I'm sick of the same ol' crap too believe me. But blaming Giroux for the team's failures or damning him with faint praise is wrongheaded. He deserves his share of the blame no question about that.

But Giroux is a helluva good hockey player that every team would love to have. That's my opinion, which is shared by everyone I know who follows hockey. They might not be willing to pay him what the Flyers paid him - and we'll see (hopefully) what he fetches at TD. But as far as "allowed this team to quit..." I don't have any evidence of that whatsoever. If you do I'd love to read it.

Yup, this is silly. Capt Quitsalot made $101,000 in Newark tonight, but its all the coaches fault. The very fact that he is still here and hasn't asked out says it all. He is content to cash his cheques and so be it. 

Now if his wife or children are in treatment for something chronic and their best hope is here in Philly then I will ashamedly retract everything I've said. But if all is well, a competitive athlete would have asked to be moved out of this dysfunction in Flyer junction long ago.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Yup, this is silly. Capt Quitsalot made $101,000 in Newark tonight, but its all the coaches fault. The very fact that he is still here and hasn't asked out says it all. He is content to cash his cheques and so be it. 

Now if his wife or children are in treatment for something chronic and their best hope is here in Philly then I will ashamedly retract everything I've said. But if all is well, a competitive athlete would have asked to be moved out of this dysfunction in Flyer junction long ago.

Great way of putting it. Never thought of it like that.

Seems logical he is satisfied getting paid and being the laughing stock of the NHL.

Very sad.

12 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

But if all is well, a competitive athlete would have asked to be moved out of this dysfunction in Flyer junction long ago.

Jeez...I gave you an out but you doubled down instead. Okaaay...

So you figure what...Giroux should've knocked on Homer, Hextall or Fletcher's door (what year was he supposed to make this noble move?) and said something like:

"Listen boss we both know as captain I'm leading this team right down the drain. It'll never get better while I'm here. I can't work with this bunch of losers you gave me, and (hanging his head in shame) I realize I'm the biggest loser of them all. So either you trade me now or I quit!"

I believe Ralph Kramden called a variation of this "the old squeeze play." It got his buddy Norton fired. But of course that was just a TV show. In real life I'm sure stuff like this happens all the time.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Teams have a habit of making their best player Captain.

The fundamental problem is the idea that the organization* anoints the captain, not the team themselves.

And with the "senior hockey advisors" that this organization has, they have consistently picked the wrong guy. The last effective leader - aside from the cup of coffee with Pronger - was Primeau. They totally botched the "next Bobby Clarke" in Mike Richards and then doubled down with Giroux - again, a guy who had never been a captain at any level of hockey in his life.

It's hard to be this wrong about so many things so often, but the Flyers management* has made an art form out of it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

LOL I hear ya... things are so bad at this point even Carter Hart should go...not for the Flyers' sake but for his.

The management of this team has been in a cloud for some time. If running a country club and an old boys club is the goal, then say so and move on. If they truly believe they are a Yandle away where anything can happen, they should all be institutionalized. If the goal is a Stanley Cup, which we all on this board desire, then they need someone with asset management skills to be hired to run hockey ops. Giroux's value to the Flyers is a trade chip, as part of a full BITFU rebuild. 

The Couturier contract, the Yandle signing, the Ellis trade are all obvious signs that pro scouting and talent evaluation is severely broken. 

The current situation is unfixable, if trading Hart gets the right return, then you should consider it. I don't think he can still be here when the rebuild is ready to be a legitimate contender.

But, as we all know, the dysfunction in Flyer Junction will just continue along in the fog.

And thanks for the out, but I'm all in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

And thanks for the out, but I'm all in.

I'm with ya. On this post. On the "Giroux should've quit" thing not so much. But we're on the same page I think: Giroux's value now is as a trade asset. He's having a damn good season it should be easy to get a real good return. I just hope Chuckieboy realizes "a real good return" means it's good for the Flyers.