AV fired!

Samifan

Best part of that article is the last graph: [edit: actually not the final graph it's 3rd from the last]

"But Hextall recognized that a rebuild would take years — not one year of big trades and signings, not a couple of summers of astute moves, a half-decade at least, likely more — and there were no shortcuts."

Before he gets to that though there's a heaping helping of 20/20 hindsight in his analysis. And without comparing the hits/misses to what other GMs did doesn't tell us anything about how well or how bad the Flyers' GMs did.

Then there's this: "The team was fortunate to get the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 draft. It was a chance to grab a superstar. Nolan Patrick, instead, was a bust, a missed opportunity."  The author doesn't tell us what he's basing this on. I guess he assumes we know about Patrick's injuries in the WHL. Or maybe it's just pure hindsight he doesn't say.

I agree Patrick was a bad pick. His injuries were well-known and the Flyers chose to ignore it. They could've listened to the minority who said "pass." But unless I'm mistaken the overwhelming majority had Patrick going #2 after Hischier.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

18 hours ago, Fizz said:

Then who the hell is it then?

The game is played on the ice, not behind the bench. This current ugliness is 90% on the players. They are lazy and uninterested. The other 10% is on Fletcher and management for not holding them accountable for their disgusting behavior. Giroux should have been moved two years ago, he has allowed this team to quit on each other multiple times, and anyone who knows hockey knows it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flyer4ever said:

Giroux ... has allowed this team to quit on each other multiple times, and anyone who knows hockey knows it.

No offense but this is silly. How does one guy "allow" a team to quit? Has he been a bad example all this time? Hungover at practices, what? We should've heard something by now...

I really mean "no offense" because I have a feeling maybe you're just blowing off steam. I'm sick of the same ol' crap too believe me. But blaming Giroux for the team's failures or damning him with faint praise is wrongheaded. He deserves his share of the blame no question about that.

But Giroux is a helluva good hockey player that every team would love to have. That's my opinion, which is shared by everyone I know who follows hockey. They might not be willing to pay him what the Flyers paid him - and we'll see (hopefully) what he fetches at TD. But as far as "allowed this team to quit..." I don't have any evidence of that whatsoever. If you do I'd love to read it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

How does one guy "allow" a team to quit? Has he been a bad example all this time? Hungover at practices, what? We should've heard something by now...

Maybe some Flyer bro is rocking the frosted tips and that's the source of all the quit?

• Haha 3

Sadly too much blame is put on G. He is being used completely wrong for years. He was given no help at all and just expected to put up numbers like Lindros. Its BS. The guy isn't bad at all he just isn't what this organization is trying to make him. Thats the problem here... the Fyers NEVER get it right. They always try and put square plugs in round holes. Until it stops the Team is doomed. 

• Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Another highly skilled offensive dynamo to add to our already potent lineup.

Well in all fairness you won't be able to claim an offensive dynamo off of waivers.

30 minutes ago, Goblin99 said:

Sadly too much blame is put on G. He is being used completely wrong for years. He was given no help at all and just expected to put up numbers like Lindros. Its BS. The guy isn't bad at all he just isn't what this organization is trying to make him. Thats the problem here... the Fyers NEVER get it right. They always try and put square plugs in round holes. Until it stops the Team is doomed. 

You can't possibly be from Philly. I bet you don't even know where the Walt Whitman Bridge is.

• Like 1

I've been a fan of teams that have won a lot and teams that have lost a lot, and one thing that always happens with the losing/disappointing teams is that fans tend to blame the best players. I'm fine with that when it's from fans, because they're powerless in the equation and when they're reactionary the team isn't set back because of it.

I'm an Oilers fan, and had a grandstand seat for this sort of process from management, and it can result a stunning lack of success if they fall prey to the same mindset.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

For some who want to read the piece by Sielski, here it is:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-vigneault-fired-draft-yeo-20211206.html?outputType=amp&wdLOR=c9FA5E5FD-8C71-446C-BC98-340EEE2EB41F

I agree with much of this.  Picking up another D-man off waivers.  WTF happens when Sam Morin is back?  

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

He gets hurt again, of course.

Sadly, that might be the case given his screwy history.  But he has to get some time, if only to see what we really have.  I suspect his one-year deals with the franchise probably end this season.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

When was the last time a D man wore 8?

Nick GrossmanN is all i remember...but any way this should send Seeler packing.

The day is won....back to sleep...:hockey-penalty-box-smiley-emoticon:

Didn't Hagg wear #8?