What is wrong with the Winnipeg Jets?

yave1964

The Jets are among a handful of the most disappointing teams in the league this year, many considered them to be a potential cup contender but as of right now they are sitting at 12-8-4 good for second in a very weak central division. Dont get me wrong, it is essentially the same record as my Wings and I am thrilled beyond belief with the Wings right now but for a team that is supposed to be among the best they are very, very average.

Goals for they sit 14th overall

Goals against they sit 13th overall

Total points of 28 14th in the league

Power play 20.3 good for 13th in the league

Penalty kill is a massive problem, 67.7 next to last in the league

Shots allowed 16th in the league

Shots for 10th in the league

Faceoff pct. 15th in the league

Essentially they are the very definition of a mediocre team. Why? A few reasons as I see them....

PAUL MAURICE HAS OUTLIVED HIS SHELFLIFE This is his ninth season in the Peg which is a loooong time. They made the conference finals once during that time and last year was only the second time they made it out of the first round. Nice guy, been around forever and the players still speak highly of him but a new face clearly is needed.

VETS SUCH AS STASTNY AND WHEELER LOOK VERY OLD THIS YEAR Blake Wheeler begun the year with covid and has not found the back of the net in 19 games played this year. I watched the Jets/Coyotes game last week that the Jets lost 1-0 but clearly outplayed the 'Yotes all over the ice, I paid particular attention to Wheeler, he fought for the puck along the boards, winning a fair share of battles but instead of shooting he over and over threw the puck to the middle. His passes were not crisp or sharp, he looks old. Stastny, moved to the wing looks lost in his new position.

HELLEBUYCK IS NOT AS SHARP AS LAST YEAR After winning the Vezina two years ago he was brilliant last year as well, this season he is 9-6-4 with a 2.70 goals against and a save pct of .916 numbers that are okay but not good enough for the guy who they rely on to win them games.

THE KIDS ARE NOT ALRIGHT Vesalainen, Stanley and Harkins have all slotted into full time duty, between the trio they have played 68 games with 4 goals and 10 assists. All three were expected to contribute much more.

So a coach whose shelf life has expired, key vets showing their age, a goalie who has been worn down by overuse in recent years and kids who are struggling to get established and you have a very ordinary team in essentially every facet of the game.

CAN THEY TURN IT AROUND? It begins and ends with Hellboy, if his goals against drops by a quarter of a goal a game back closer to his average they could still try to claw their way back into it. The offense is showing signs of waking up and if they can score a quarter of a goal a game more along with dropping said quarter of a goal at the other end they could and should still fight for the division. Right now they are just a run of the mill generic ordinary average in every way team but there is still enough here between Hellboy, Conner, Ehlers, Copp, Dubois and especially Scheifele that the offense should improve. I think that replacing Maurice is becoming inevitable, they may give him until the end of this year but if they slow any more he is gone, if they make the playoffs and are dispatched quickly he will be gone. Personally I think replacing Maurice now or soon and giving fresh eyes a chance to see what they can do with the team would be the best and easiest potential fix for the club.

• Good Post 1

13 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The Jets are among a handful of the most disappointing teams in the league this year, many considered them to be a potential cup contender but as of right now they are sitting at 12-8-4 good for second in a very weak central division. Dont get me wrong, it is essentially the same record as my Wings and I am thrilled beyond belief with the Wings right now but for a team that is supposed to be among the best they are very, very average.

Goals for they sit 14th overall

Goals against they sit 13th overall

Total points of 28 14th in the league

Power play 20.3 good for 13th in the league

Penalty kill is a massive problem, 67.7 next to last in the league

Shots allowed 16th in the league

Shots for 10th in the league

Faceoff pct. 15th in the league

Essentially they are the very definition of a mediocre team. Why? A few reasons as I see them....

PAUL MAURICE HAS OUTLIVED HIS SHELFLIFE This is his ninth season in the Peg which is a loooong time. They made the conference finals once during that time and last year was only the second time they made it out of the first round. Nice guy, been around forever and the players still speak highly of him but a new face clearly is needed.

VETS SUCH AS STASTNY AND WHEELER LOOK VERY OLD THIS YEAR Blake Wheeler begun the year with covid and has not found the back of the net in 19 games played this year. I watched the Jets/Coyotes game last week that the Jets lost 1-0 but clearly outplayed the 'Yotes all over the ice, I paid particular attention to Wheeler, he fought for the puck along the boards, winning a fair share of battles but instead of shooting he over and over threw the puck to the middle. His passes were not crisp or sharp, he looks old. Stastny, moved to the wing looks lost in his new position.

HELLEBUYCK IS NOT AS SHARP AS LAST YEAR After winning the Vezina two years ago he was brilliant last year as well, this season he is 9-6-4 with a 2.70 goals against and a save pct of .916 numbers that are okay but not good enough for the guy who they rely on to win them games.

THE KIDS ARE NOT ALRIGHT Vesalainen, Stanley and Harkins have all slotted into full time duty, between the trio they have played 68 games with 4 goals and 10 assists. All three were expected to contribute much more.

So a coach whose shelf life has expired, key vets showing their age, a goalie who has been worn down by overuse in recent years and kids who are struggling to get established and you have a very ordinary team in essentially every facet of the game.

CAN THEY TURN IT AROUND? It begins and ends with Hellboy, if his goals against drops by a quarter of a goal a game back closer to his average they could still try to claw their way back into it. The offense is showing signs of waking up and if they can score a quarter of a goal a game more along with dropping said quarter of a goal at the other end they could and should still fight for the division. Right now they are just a run of the mill generic ordinary average in every way team but there is still enough here between Hellboy, Conner, Ehlers, Copp, Dubois and especially Scheifele that the offense should improve. I think that replacing Maurice is becoming inevitable, they may give him until the end of this year but if they slow any more he is gone, if they make the playoffs and are dispatched quickly he will be gone. Personally I think replacing Maurice now or soon and giving fresh eyes a chance to see what they can do with the team would be the best and easiest potential fix for the club.

Hellebuyck is as sharp as last year. His team just is sucking. I mentioned 2 weeks ago that he should hextall chop some of his teammates to wake them up lol.

They need a coaching change. 9 years is an eternity for a coach.

They also have no #1 or even #2 defenseman. They have a #3/4 mix in morrisey/Pionk/Schmidt and then some 5/6's

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1