World Juniors

flyercanuck

Really looking forward to this tournament this year so I can watch some actual good hockey. Wish Foerster was healthy...thanks Flyers.  Just a quick mention that Elliot Desnoyers makes Team Canada, good for him. And 16 year old Connor Bedard also made the team. Not many 16 year olds ever make TC...Gretzky, Crosby, McDavid, Lindros, Spezza. 

As usual, should be some exciting hockey. 

• Like 1

It's the best international hockey there is. I just watched the 2016 final game again. Young Aho, Laine, Hintz, Kapanen, Puljujarvi, Kaprizov, Svechnikov, Provorov showing their skills with their teams in the final. Really standing out from their peers. Game tied in the last seconds, then won in OT.

The best player in those finals was a Minnesota draft pick Andrei Svetlakov, who for whatever reason never really made it, neither in the KHL nor North America.

WJC makes the break in the NHL bearable, even something to look forward.

12 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

It's the best international hockey there is. I just watched the 2016 final game again. Young Aho, Laine, Hintz, Kapanen, Puljujarvi, Kaprizov, Svechnikov, Provorov showing their skills with their teams in the final. Really standing out from their peers. Game tied in the last seconds, then won in OT.

The best player in those finals was a Minnesota draft pick Andrei Svetlakov, who for whatever reason never really made it, neither in the KHL nor North America.

WJC makes the break in the NHL bearable, even something to look forward.

Svetlakov is playing in KHL for the CSKA club in Moscow for 7 seasons already. Even Kaprizov played with him for 2 seasons in that team. I do not know why the Wild did not tried him here, but should because he has a valuable experience from the best KHL team.

Edited by Alexandron

56 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Really looking forward to this tournament this year so I can watch some actual good hockey. Wish Foerster was healthy...thanks Flyers.  Just a quick mention that Elliot Desnoyers makes Team Canada, good for him. And 16 year old Connor Bedard also made the team. Not many 16 year olds ever make TC...Gretzky, Crosby, McDavid, Lindros, Spezza. 

As usual, should be some exciting hockey. 

Should be great until they get hurt like all our prospects do.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Should be great until they get hurt like all our prospects do.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

He's the next kid the Flyers are going to rush to the big team....wait it's coming...

You guys are so negative. Kids going to turn out to be a superstar....after Fletcher deals him and our 1st for Neal Broten.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Svetlakov is playing in KHL for the CSKA club in Moscow for 7 seasons already. Even Kaprizov played with him for 2 seasons in that team. I do not know why the Wild did not tried him here, but should because he has a valuable experience from the best KHL team.

Probably the points from CSKA were too low to pique interest. But he did have a great junior tournament. Good shot, two goals, good skating. Maybe he got injured, maybe he just had that one great moment, then stopped developing. Only a few make it to the NHL. That is one added factor in WJC. One never knows who's going to be a success as an adults well.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yikes first I heard of it right here.

Damn Flyers can't catch a break.

That doesn't look very promising.

Hope the kid is ok.

I can't find anything about him being out, Canada plays tonight. So I'm hoping he's ok.

I just looked for the list of players in all 8 teams participating at this tournament. And found 4 Wild prospects which are going to play at 4 different teams there. Lambos (defenseman) is going to play for Canada; Khusnutdinov(forward; captain) for Russia; Novak(forward) for Czech and Wallstedt (goalie) for Sweden.

Tournament is starting today with 4 games Finland vs Germany; Russia vs Sweden; Canada vs Czech; USA vs Slovakia.

• Like 1

Finns play the Germans in about half hour.

Russians play the Swedes after, followed by the Czechs and Canadians, and at night (or very early evening for the West Coast), USA vs Slovakia.

I think Czechs/Canada and Russia/Sweden are the big first round match ups.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Intriguing tournament of the youngsters potential (drafted and no drafted yet).

Saw a bit of the Canada/Russia pre-tourney game...both 16 year old Connor Bedard and 17 year old Matvei Michkov scored. The pair are likely going 1-2 in 2023, and Shane Wright 1st in 2022

• Like 1